Sodium

Options
How do you keep your sodium in check. 2500mg a day seems almost impossible to do. I don't add any table salt to my food anymore and I'm still 2x over every day.

Replies

• colorslide
    colorslide Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Have you tried getting low sodium options of your foods?
  • staceymoyer1
    staceymoyer1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sodium seems to be my issue too. Like you I don't add table salt to anything. I think my problem is being lazy and having Progresso Light soup during the week for lunch. I need to get away from canned stuff!
  • sarahkateo
    sarahkateo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also have huge problems staying under my sodium goals, which I pay attention to mostly for my blood pressure. But I'm also a really big fan of pre-packaged foods like canned soup, lunchables and Lean Pockets, which are packed with extra sodium by the manufacturers. Luckily, I've learned to avoid fast food, which is a sodium NIGHTMARE, but still get cravings for those Lipton Pasta Sides, which are also loaded with sodium. Sometimes, even the Lower Sodium options still add in 25-30% of your daily value (especially true with soups, many of which boast over 50% of sodium DV).
  • sarahkateo
    sarahkateo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Exactly! Progresso is my biggest demon as well. So easy to just grab a can and cook at work.
  • colorslide
    colorslide Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hope you don't mind, but I looked at your diary. My advice would be to stay away from processed, canned, or otherwise pre-packaged foods. Try switching out a couple of things at a time with whole foods and see how that works.
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Looks like your biggest problem is sandwiches! Make your own and your problem will be solved!

Oh, yes, and unsalted butter... ;c)
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have began to watch my sodium, and have come to the conclusion it isn't that hard to stay under when I do not eat a lot of processed foods. When I eat processed stuff that I love - food from Schwan's or Lean Cuisines I have trouble. Clean, whole foods have been a life saver most days.
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Sodium is a *kitten* and I struggle getting my protien in without going over on sodium. I struggle with sodium every day. Stay away from processed foods as much as possible. That should help.
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Same boat here. The only days that I stay reasonable on it is when I cook from scratch type stuff. Fresh meats and veggies type stuff. Anything processed has a ton of sodium in it as well as anything that is "light" or "Fat Free" because they replace the fat with sodium for taste purposes. Unless you have a health concern that requires you to very carefully watch sodium, don't stress about it too much but awareness alone has helped me reduce it. I go over most days and so far it hasn't been an issue for me (of course I am pending labs as we speak).

Watch the processed meats, cheeses, packaged foods, canned foods. For quick vegies, go frozen instead of canned has really helped me.

Good luck
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1500 mg/day sodium diet by my Doc and it took some getting used too.

No canned or overly processed foods, they automatically contain too much sodium to fit into your day.
    Fast food is pretty much out of the question with a few specific exceptions
    Restaurants are for occasional eating only
    Shellfish is always high in sodium (makes sense... lives in salty water=salty)
    Lunch meat, even low sodium varieties, are still very high in sodium.
    Diet Pop has sodium and it really ads up if you drink a lot of it.
    Anything that advertises as 'fat free' automatically has more salt(and sugar) in it.
    Cook your own food from scratch, it's the only way to really control your sodium.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Stop eating processed food and start cooking for yourself. That's it.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I'm usually around 1500 mg for 2000 calories. Canned soup, restaurant food, and packaged meals are really high! Jarred salsa and sauces are pretty high too. I eat a lot of chicken and veggies seasoned with Mrs. Dash. I make my own soups with homemade chicken stock or I make sure I find the kind that has like 70 mg of sodium per serving instead of 500. I try to only buy food "products" (bread, sour cream, peanut butter, cereal, etc) that have about a 1:1 ratio of sodium:calories. Cheese would be the exception, especially when I buy laughing cow cheese :wink:

BTW it's been a slow process. If I look back at my diary from 2 years ago, I have lots and lots of 3000+ mg of sodium days. Don't be too hard on yourself and just try to make slow changes to lower it over time.
  • emih29
    emih29 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You will never go over if you make your food yourself. I have mine capped at 2200 and when I make all my food I never come close. If I try to eat out (even healthy) it never works.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Check the sodium on all labels when you shop. There are usually lower sodium options in each food group.

Plus make more of your own meals from scratch; then you control exactly how much sodium goes in.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Stop eating processed food and start cooking for yourself. That's it.
    yup. this is pretty much it.
  • Calidiva3j
    Options
    I literally just saw a segment on Dr. Oz about Sodium intake and the nutritionist on the show said she actually recommends 1500mg/day!

I changed my macros on here to try to stay at that. Today I'm already doing ok with it, but that's because I eat clean and NO processed foods.

Prepare yourself clean, whole foods and sodium won't be an issue since you don't already add it at the table!

Good Luck!
  • mgreenham
    mgreenham Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yeah the evil twin of calories... Food mfg use it to "punch up" the taste of low calorie foods. Well all foods really. Even name brand top shelf meat processors (Boars head, Jenni O, Butterball) all use brine injections to help moisten their meat. So even turkey and chicken can push you over the top!!

Organic non brined or overly processed foods, lots of fresh vegetables otherwise you will almost ALWAYS go over your sodium numbers..
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I have a healthy choice soup or a lean cuisine frozen meal for lunch at work almost everyday. Inexpensive, portable and easy.

To compensate for that I try to keep my snack choices as low in sodium as possible. I'm the crazy lable reader in the snack aisle at Stop & Shop. I also try to keep our dinner lower in sodium.

With just havin the one pre-packaged meal a day, I am usually able to stay below the 2500mg of sodium. Some days are better than others.
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I have my sodium goal set at 1500 a day, I think a 1000 less than what MFP sets it to and usually 5, 6 days out of the week I have no problem staying within that goal. But, whenever I eat turkey slices, shrimp, canned beans, or soup I'm always over. I would say reduce or eliminate processed, pre-packaged foods, buy reduced sodium options whenever possible, and make sure to rinse canned beans, etc to reduce the sodium. And drink more water on higher sodium level days.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    More whole foods in their natural state...less processed, pre-packaged foods like canned and jarred items. Shop the perimeter of your grocery store.