Any crossfitters out there?

Options
I used my fitnesspal a while ago and am now back and armed with Crossfit to help me meet my fitness goals. I've been crossfitting for 6 weeks and I LOVE it!! I've only lost about 5 lbs which is frustrating, but I'm focusing on what I can control - that I crossfit 3-4 times a week, I eat right, and drink lots of water. At my gym they are launcing an 8-week nutrition challenge next week, so looking forward to that...

So frustrating that everywhere I go I get different information about the number of calories I should eat, what I should eat, what I shouldn't eat, how many grams of protein, no carbs, only good carbs, GRRRRRR

I'm really hoping this challenge will give me a solid road map for what I need to do. And thanfully, I started all of this with my husband, so I think this time we'll meet our goals and feel GREAT this summer.

My husband has lost 25 lbs and has another 15-20 to go. I don't really care what I weigh, but I'd love to fit comfortably into a size 12 by this summer and by next Christmas a comfortable size 10 would be awesome!

I'd love to hear from other crossfitters out there!

Replies

• KelliefJ
    Options
    :smile: Hey! I too just started crossfit (3 days and counting) I'm trying an 8 week fitness session and then will decide to do more from there. I am still in the everything hurts stage when I move, but I love going and my trainer is GREAT. Right now my goal is a small one- not to quit- so I wish you much success and look forward to learning more about getting fit. -KJ
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Good Luck, KellieFJ! I Crossfit 4-5 times per week; the gym is the thing that I look forward to each day. In my experience, you'll never get much past the "everything hurts" stage, because the whole idea is keep pushing yourself to your limit and get stronger and faster every day than you were the day before! The WODs never get easy - you'll just be able to do more reps with more weight as you get better at it!

Xfit_4me: I just re-started using myfitnesspal a couple of weeks ago, after about 6 months off the site. Out of curiosity, how do you record your WODs in the exercise, since "crossfit" isn't an option? I usually tailor my counts depending on what the WOD was and split the total time between "circuit training" and "weight lifting", depending on where the focus was that day. I'm sure that I'm not getting an accurate count - would love to hear it if someone has a better idea of how to estimate the calories burned!
  • beanerific518
    Options
    I did a 4-week trial I bought on Groupon. It was so much fun! Unfortunately, $150/month is out of my budget. but I've incorporated a lot that I've learned into my own workouts. I noticed that people doing Crossfit for a while are very strong, agile, fast, flexible and not afraid of a challenge. All very admirable qualities in an athlete.

I think with dialing in your nutrition and the Crossfit classes, you will reach your goals and more.

There is a lot of confusing information out there for nutrition. I will tell you what works for me: I eat clean 90% of the time. By clean I mean fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, whole grains, and nuts. I calculated my calorie allowance (TDEE and BMR) using http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    This calorie number already calculates your weekly activity level into your allowance. I had a hard time planning for eating back exercise calories since that number varied from day to day. I have been maintaining for 9 months now and it works like a charm.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Unless you are one of those rare people that enjoy pain, I would recommend that you avoid Crossfit and find a more reasonable exercise program that will help you meet your fitness goals. I have a friend that used to do Crossfit, and they are still dealing with pain in their joints and muscles months after they left the program.

Before you get too involved, you might want to check out this article from the NY TIMES. It is a very extreme exercise program with a high injury rate.

Getting Fit, Even If It Kills You
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=all

Mr. Glassman, CrossFit's founder, does not discount his regimen's risks, even to those who are in shape and take the time to warm up their bodies before a session.

"It can kill you," he said. "I've always been completely honest about that."

If you want an exercise program with lots of variety, my advice is to check out boot camp classes in your area. Some boot camp classes are much more reasonable than others, but they should let you watch a class or two before you decide to sign up.

Good luck!