TV Commercials...

Options
StrengthInPain
StrengthInPain Posts: 155 Member
so i'm cleaning my room and the TV is on... and a commerical comes on for a water pill... then a weight watchers commercial... then a zantax 3 weight loss pill commercial... then a jenny craig commercial.... Seriously. 4 commercials about weight loss in a row. i think it's insane but i really think it says something about our society and the epidemic of being overweight. I also happen to be watching SOAPnet (One Tree Hill is my guilty pleasure on the rare occasions I am home in the afternoon)... so maybe they are targeting a certain stay-at-home population? Whatever the reason i think it's screwed up.

Replies

• Lady_C_the_1st
    Options
    I agree, but it's one extreme to the other, loads of adverts for weight loss, but also we are plagued with loads of adverts for chocolate, pizza, burgers, fast food! It is madness and does not help those wanting to lead a healthy lifestyle.
  • NotSurprised
    NotSurprised Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    My only suggestion for someone who can't help but be tempted & indeed fail is to kill your tube for a month or longer than you would be at a good place, no question & you'll grow in other ways as a result.:flowerforyou:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    My only suggestion for someone who can't help but be tempted & indeed fail is to kill your tube for a month or longer than you would be at a good place, no question & you'll grow in other ways as a result.:flowerforyou:

This truly works. We only watch our DVDs, History Channel, PBS, and I watch House MD on Mondays and NCIS on Tuesdays. That's it. I rarely see commercials for food or diets. It's great. We spend more time as a family and are much healthier for it.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Not familiar with any of those adverts at all, they must be American ones. I was just watching with my daughter and there was a rather nice M&S advert (Marks and Spencer) a Bath Store one and one for Holidays (travel agent) so we had clothes, luxury bathrooms and holidays to exclusive far away places....:laugh: so what does that say about the UK?
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    That kind of reminds me of all the magazines that will have a teaser for "lose 20 pounds in a month" on the same cover as a delicious, decadent chocolate cake. (I'm not saying you can't ever have chocolate cake a lose weight, but still. Come on! Talk about mixed messages.)