Wanted: non-Asian bok choy recipes!

Options
TheLaser
TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
Bok Choy, where have you been all my life?!!! I mean, of course I'd met you before, but not like this! Your spongy stalks promise to soak up flavors, your leafy greens come packed with nutrients! And you are so low calorie! I haven't felt this way about a vegetable since I rediscovered cauliflower.

Until now, I've only had you in Asian dishes --which were good--but I'm looking for some alternatives. Why haven't the non-Asian cuisines of the world exploited this awesome plant?! Or have they and I just don't know about it? Enlighten me, mfp chefs!

(Disclaimer: I would prefer recipes without garlic or anything spicy or overly oily. I'm pregnant and those things give me heartburn!)

Replies

• hurleycutie142
    hurleycutie142 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    i dont know if this is asian or not but ill tell u anyways... the way i make it is in a wok i use about a tlbs of oil which i cant think of what its called fo the life of me... its healthy oil crappp its going to bother me now... i wash cut the ends of the plant and separate it in the pan... then i add garlic tomatoes onions and a lil bit of spicy powder for a kick... then when its done ill drain out the oil and its done :]
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Yum i haven't had bok choy in ages! Does it re- heat ok? I'm always looking for new work lunch ideas
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    (Disclaimer: I would prefer recipes without garlic or anything spicy or overly oily. I'm pregnant and those things give me heartburn!)
    the way i make it is in a wok i use about a tlbs of oil which i cant think of what its called fo the life of me... its healthy oil crappp its going to bother me now... i wash cut the ends of the plant and separate it in the pan... then i add garlic tomatoes onions and a lil bit of spicy powder for a kick... then when its done ill drain out the oil and its done :]

LOL
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Use it as you would spring greens or cabbage. Eat is raw, or cook it very lightly as it doesnt require long. Here's some non- asian, non spicy ideas:

- Braised very quickly in vegetable stock with peas and seasoned with a little nutmeg, serve sprinkled with crispy smoked bacon.

- Sauteed in a little butter/evoo with some sliced apple or pear and dressed in grain mustard vinaigrette.

- Cheesy Gratin: Shredded Bok choy & greens (add cabbage/spring greens/spinach or broccoli) in a skinny cheesy sauce (use low fat creme fraiche, grated nutmeg, parmesan cheese) topped with breadcrumbs and baked in the oven.

- Coleslaw with a twist: Shredded raw pak choi, shredded fennel bulb, shredded green onions, shredded celery and slices of apple dressed in fat free greek yoghurt with a little mint and squeeze of lemon.

- Cook up a batch and serve tossed in green basil pesto and sprinkled with a few additional toasted pine nuts for crunch.
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Those look delicious! Thanks! Can't wait to try them.
  • peachynoir
    Options
    Someone mentioned coleslaw... it is a longtime favorite dish in our house. I make mine a bit different, though. Just thinly sliced bok choy, red apple spices, plain greek yogurt (I've used mayo before but it takes away the bite, in my opinion), white wine vinegar and black pepper. SO. GOOD.

Also, I like to steam pumpkin slices and bok choy, then wrap the pumpkin in bok choy and eat them with olive tapenade.