WOMEN RUNNERS - Sports bra chaffing...help?

Options
Since losing 40lbs, my "girls" are considerably smaller and, ahem......a bit should I say....saggy and deflated. I am a runner, training for my 2nd half. On runs longer than 5 miles, I tend to chafe on the underside of my boobs, often to the point of blood. I have gotten smaller sports bras, and they fit well, so I don't think size is the issue. I also position them well in the bra before I take off running, but they tend to sag back down a little and rub on the bottom elastic band.

I need suggestions. I have tried large band aids, and that works okay, but there has got to be something else. Does Body Glide or similar products work in situations like this? Any other advice?

Replies

• MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    So sorry girl I can't imagine how awful that is. I don't have that problem but I do get chafing sometimes on the bottom of my arm so I use something like bodyglide there and it helps. I imagine using it would help in your situation too. Hopefully someone will have better feedback for you.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    If there's room for them to sag & shift around in the bra, I'd suggest something with smaller or more compressive cups. I've got the same issue, but don't have chaffing problems-but I make sure nothing moves-or can move. If the bra you're wearing isn't a moisture wicking kind of fabric, I'd double make sure to get one that is.
  • Alanakrahenbil
    Alanakrahenbil Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    When I would run I would wear a bra(that I only used for running) and put my sports bra over it. I got that tip a year ago on mfp and it helped a lot especially with the bouncing. Now my boobs are small :(
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    baby powder! put some in your bra and under the girls. Also, consider a smaller bra... or one with adjustable straps. that will help hold them up!
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Body glide is good, but in conjunction with compression it's really good. The bra needs to be pretty tightly fitted and wicking, to keep the girls in place. I'm on the larger size (34DD), but I find that I need a sized bra with clasp type band, not an elastic pull it over your head type. I also usually run with a compression tank under my running top for extra support. Good luck!
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Body glide works for me. You will just have to experiment as your training runs get longer. Also try different bras if you can. Vaseline might work as well. I've never tried baby powder. Just try to get it dialed in before your race.

There is nothing worse than getting in the shower after a run and have all that salty sweat run down into where you have chafed.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have that problem. Body glide or vaseline work for me.
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    There is nothing worse than getting in the shower after a run and have all that salty sweat run down into where you have chafed.

^^^^^
    Isn't it the worst?! Especially if you don't notice that the chaffing is there beforehand. Then that water hits it, and O.M.G.!!!

I am currently in a small sports bra. It is wicking and a pullover type. The reason I don't think it is too big is because when I put it on, it is pretty tight around. So much so, that I get fatty armpits...You know, when you put on a bra/ bathing suit top too tight and that extra skin mushes up all under your pits. IDK. Maybe I need to experiment with other bras. I have 4 now, all different, and it is still happening.
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'll check the brand that I have when I get home. They were around $50 a piece IIRC, but quite worth it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

^^^^^
    Isn't it the worst?! Especially if you don't notice that the chaffing is there beforehand. Then that water hits it, and O.M.G.!!!

I am currently in a small sports bra. It is wicking and a pullover type. The reason I don't think it is too big is because when I put it on, it is pretty tight around. So much so, that I get fatty armpits...You know, when you put on a bra/ bathing suit top too tight and that extra skin mushes up all under your pits. IDK. Maybe I need to experiment with other bras. I have 4 now, all different, and it is still happening.

Yup. Last week I chafed somewhere else. It wasn't fun.
    I also have a really good fitting bra and it still happens. While a bad bra might cause it, I also think there is a point where it is just inevitable anyway.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I get chaffing from the heart rate monitor chest strap and body glide does help that a bit. Not entirely, but so far has stopped my skin from rubbing completely off. Good luck!
  • jtndle
    jtndle Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I get the same problem and body glide works for me. Still may have some stinging from chaffing in the shower but it is not visible now.
  • kellilynneramirez
    Options
    Body Glide works miracles!!! I just ran my first full marathon and put body glide EVERYWHERE and did not chafe or blister at all!!
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Well, here is another take. I too thought I had chaffing; but low and behold it was not; it was a yeast infection. Yes that is correct. I had gone into the doc's for my yearly female exam and the NP noticed the redness and rawness under my breast and asked me about it. She said it was a yeast infection from the 'moisture' under the (heavy) breast. I've been using a prescription medication (cream) for about 1-1/2 weeks and its almost gone. So, you might just want to get it checked out.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Might be the material or the fit of the bra. I had to ditch a Shock Absorber bra due to joggers nipple (v painful).

As with other posters, try something like glide or vaseline.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    BodyGlide definitely works! I'm lucky to never have chafed under my breasts through my years involved in High Performance events but I have chafed on my sides - not quite my armpit but a bit below that, where your upper arm can run against your sides when they are too close to your body and put some BodyGlide on there - no more problems! And the one time I forgot to use and got stressed out during my workout which caused above mentioned arms to your sides i did chafe some, so it really does work! Try out a small stick to start with and see how you like it
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Really sounds like it is just not fitting right. Nothing should have room to move around in there! I would shop for a new bra.

Oops - sorry didn't see your response!
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Really sounds like it is just not fitting right. Nothing should have room to move around in there! I would shop for a new bra.

Mine really don't, it still happens. But I also sweat a lot so a lot of sweat = chafing easier.
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options

Mine really don't, it still happens. But I also sweat a lot so a lot of sweat = chafing easier.

I sweat a lot too. maybe that's just another component. :[
  • heartrun
    Options
    Make sure you're in the right size--a sports bra with a band and cup size makes a better fit than the standard small, medium or large. Glide definitely helps, but your bra for starters should compress but also separate your chest so that you're getting all the support you can. Really good compression doesn't stop the bounce alone! Look for a bra lifts, encapsulates and compresses. heart and core does this for larger sizes, moving comfort for smaller sizes.