The `expert`

Options
2»

Replies

• kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    It is subjective. But like all things Internet, you can check things out on your own. It requires some effort, but it's worth gaining knowledge.

I consider people who have consistently posted good information about a particular subject to be an "expert" here. They are folks that often cite sources to make their point, and their messages don't change much over the years. I'll pretty much take anything with a grain of salt, go look it up to confirm its veracity, and make a decision to the amount of truthiness.

After awhile, I'll start to take the word of people have proven to be pretty damn knowledgeable. There are quite of few here on MFP.

Although, re-reading the OP, if using the word "bully" when asking about expertise, an "expert" may not be what you are looking for. Giving advice and being funny is different that being an expert. Though many of the experts on MFP are hilarious.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I'm a couple weeks away from getting my degree in Nutrition Science, so I'd consider myself more of an expert than the average user. But of course, there's no way I could really prove that to anyone ;)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Good question. I dont think anyone is an expert even those of use with paper behind our names. The science of nutrition is unfortunately fairly recent within the last century, and every year something new is learned or old ideas are found to be completely false i.e. you rarely see the square meal idea anymore. I think you take bits and pieces from everyone. You watch what they say. If I see the words "ALWAYS or NEVER." I pretty much disregard everything esle thats said.

Oh so much this. Also, One of my MFP rules is if the title proclaims is the "truth" it probably isn't.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people here. I look for those who have the knowledge, can back it up and apply what they say.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Good question. I dont think anyone is an expert even those of use with paper behind our names. The science of nutrition is unfortunately fairly recent within the last century, and every year something new is learned or old ideas are found to be completely false i.e. you rarely see the square meal idea anymore. I think you take bits and pieces from everyone. You watch what they say. If I see the words "ALWAYS or NEVER." I pretty much disregard everything esle thats said.

Mostly this, but I think it is important to look at what is working for people with similar goals. I also tend to listen to those who are well researched.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I listen to people who have comments that are backed by science, not opinion or pseudo science. Really, most information is either; A) easily verifiable or B) easily debunked with a little research.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    My only qualification for my humor is experience. If you laugh, it's probably due to an above average wit and excellent delivery with timing. On the Internet even.

W3rd.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I listen to people who have comments that are backed by science, not opinion or pseudo science. Really, most information is either; A) easily verifiable or B) easily debunked with a little research.

There is a C, which is personal experience. However, that one is really hard to sift fact from bull**** on.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    It's kind of subjective. Alan Aragon, Mark Rippetoe, Jim Wendler, Layne Norton, etc, could all come here and post. People would contest them, and they would all eventually be banned.

That's because Rippetoe would tell me to 'jump and shrug' on my power cleans, and I'd get all hostile on him. ;)

Regardless...if you're not doing this:

1331230848_guy_pukes_while_lifting_weights.gif

You're not lifting heavy enough
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    nobody has ever bullied or been mean to me here.

i have an exceptionally good BS detector. when i see somebody continuously giving sound, logical advice with no hint of BS, then i tend to pay attention to what they post.

what i don't pay attention to?

orthorexics or anybody expounding the virtues of the latest "get thin quick" scam.

i don't listen to people who constantly complain about bullies, meanies, and rude people.

i don't listen to people who whine and threaten to quit all the time. this includes all of those people who have nothing but excuses for why they are fat and why they can't just eat less and move more.

i don't listen "elite" members with a hidden agenda. same with the shakes salesmen and saleswomen.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    It's kind of subjective. Alan Aragon, Mark Rippetoe, Jim Wendler, Layne Norton, etc, could all come here and post. People would contest them, and they would all eventually be banned.

That's because Rippetoe would tell me to 'jump and shrug' on my power cleans, and I'd get all hostile on him. ;)

That's a good prerequisite. If you have never done at least one of the following, you've never lifted ****: puked, **** your pants, injured yourself, passed out after sitting a weight down.

weightlifter.gif
  • cwolfman13
    Options

That's a good prerequisite. If you have never done at least one of the following, you've never lifted ****: puked, **** your pants, injured yourself, passed out after sitting a weight down.

weightlifter.gif

Just don't do this...

1303407524_weight-lifting-fail.gif

That person is not an expert
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Now THIS is an expert. Unlike the gentleman above, this girl will not be deterred from completing her lift over a little vomit.

Weightlifter-projectile-vomiting.gif
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    weightlifter.gif

I've done this, but without hitting my head against the power rack.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    BECOME the expert.
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Experts are those that get to testify in a court of law on a particular subject and don't get their ..... reamed. :laugh:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Experts are those that get to testify in a court of law on a particular subject and don't get their ..... reamed. :laugh:

Wahoo. I am an expert.