Myth...drink 8 glasses of water a day to lose weight.

Options
olDave
olDave Posts: 557 Member
The common belief that people should drink eight glasses or two litres of water a day is a 'myth' that needs debunking, a Melbourne academic says.

The new Australian recommendations suggest that an adequate daily fluid intake is about 2.8 litres for women and 3.4 litres for men.

However, this includes fluid found in food and beverages.

La Trobe University lecturer Spero Tsindos said that people could get their daily fluid intake from fruit, vegetables, juices and even tea and coffee.

"If you're feeling thirsty then drink by all means a beverage. It doesn't have to be water", Tsindos was quoted as writing in the Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health.

"I'm not saying you shouldn't drink water. I'm saying the need to drink two litres of water on a regular basis is a complete myth."

"We should be telling people that beverages like tea and coffee contribute to a person's fluid needs and despite their caffeine content, do not lead to dehydration", Tsindos said.

He said that drinking a large quantity of water in one sitting to reach the daily intake level was pointless because it would not be distributed where it was needed. It would just dilute the urine.

Drinking large amounts of water to lose weight would not work either without a low-calorie diet, he emphasised.

Replies

• mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Interesting stuff. And there's more to be found in this recent thread.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/875124-8-cups-of-water

Also, drinking a glass of water before each of the three daily meals helps.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/16/health/16really.html
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Your supposed to drink half of your body weight.
  • JSN66614
    Options
    I just listen to my body.

I used to be one of these people that LIVED off coffee/soda, you can see it in my food diary just last week but for the past 3 days I've been getting roughly 6-8 cups of water a day.

Now I still have my coffee but it's more 4 cups instead of 10 and 4 cups of soda instead of 20 lol major change but it's all worth it.

Your body knows when you are thirsty and when you need to drink water.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Says who? And based on your post, I should be drinking 100 lbs of water a day?? Orly?? :huh:

This water myth is one of the hardest ones to die!!
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    That "myth" has been debunked for years. But it doesn't change the facts that hydrating is important, water is the cheapest and healthiest way for most people to hydrate and that our bodies often mistake thirst for hunger so not getting thirsty is important if you want to lose weight.

There's no magic in 8 glasses of water (as for half your body weight!!!) but there's also (apart from rare extreme cases) no harm and a lot of benefit in drinking more water. I don't log it but I certainly drink it.
  • olDave
    Options

Says who? And based on your post, I should be drinking 100 lbs of water a day?? Orly?? :huh:

It's almost like a religion. LOL.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

It's almost like a religion. LOL.

I was going to warn you about messing with the water. Peeps get angry.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Aussie scientists rock!
  • THExNEKOxCHAN
    THExNEKOxCHAN Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It takes water to digest the food you eat. It takes water to balance the salts in your body. It takes water to remove toxins from your body. So while you may get *some* liquid from what you eat, you are probably better off still drinking water (though don't drink too much while eating; the water dilutes your digestive juices, and can make your stomach uncomfortable.)

Remember: drinking when you are thirsty means you are already dehydrated. So drink a bit throughout the day, rather than when you actually feel you need a drink.
  • olDave
    Options
    LOL...don't confuse me with the facts...I STILL WILL DRINK MY WATER!!! (Even if it kills me.):wink:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I must of kissed this mythical unicorn cuz it sure helps me
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Well, my skin's looking great so i couldn't give a f*** what some Aussie scientist is saying
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

:D:D:D
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Well, my skin's looking great so i couldn't give a f*** what some Aussie scientist is saying

Don't forget to f*** the Mayo Clinic too.
    Water may not help me lose weight, but it sure is healthy for me. I drink a ton of water per day....and I definitely see the benefits.

Additionally, many times when people are thirsty people mistake it for hunger....so by pushing water...I ward off that pesky problem.

*glug glug glug*

This is one thing I never understood. From similar posts I am gathering that some experience this, others don't. I haven't.

Really, no one is saying don't drink water. But killing oneself to drink enormous amounts isn't necessary either.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I drink 9 cups of water per day usually. I don't care if it helps me lose weight, I drink because I'm thirsty. Soda, coffee, tea, they don't quench my thirst - they just make me want to drink MORE. And if I'm drinking nothing but soda, and I want more to drink, that's a TON of extra calories. For no reason.
    So, in essence, water does help one lose weight... because I'm not drinking my calories. I'm getting my calories from my food, where they should come from!
  • lilkidtchr
    lilkidtchr Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    A dietitian told me to drink half your body weight in OUNCES of water. For example, a 200 lb. person should drink 100 OUNCES of water. I'm sure it's different for everybody and various doctors, dietitians, etc. will say different things. Just clarifying the "half your body weight" water "rule".
    :drinker:
  • LovinDaNewLiz14
    LovinDaNewLiz14 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    hell I do because if not I gain weight, and that is a fact...
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I don't drink it to lose weight, I drink it to feel better.
  • glynda66
    glynda66 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this... :smile: