ATTN RUNNERS: HOW TO PREVENT SHIN SPLINTS

Options
I've been a runner for 12 years, competitive for 5 years. In those twelve years, I've gotten shin splints a grand total of once, and never has it actually prevented me from running. Here's how to prevent them:

1. First thing you want to do is make sure you have proper form. I see many new runners try to extend their stride too far, or they have a "bouncy" motion in which they go up and down more than they do forward. Not only does this exert your body more than you need to, but it causes more impact with the ground.

2. Make sure you have a GOOD pair of running shoes. If you have no idea what qualifies as a good pair of running shoes, go to a specialty running store and have them fit you. Yes, it's expensive, but it's worth it if it prevents injury. Make sure you don't overuse your shoes either - rule of thumb is change them every 500 miles or every three months, whichever comes first.

3. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT. IF YOU WANT TO GET ONE THING OUT OF THIS, DO THIS. Strengthen the muscles in your shins. The easiest way to do this is what I call toe lifts. While sitting or standing with your feet flat on the ground, simply raise your toes up, heels still on the ground, then lower your toes, and continue doing this in a deliberate, controlled manner. After a certain amount of time, shift your toes inward, then outward to work different parts of your shin. This is extremely easy to do, and if you have a desk job or are a student, you can do them while at work or class. Another exercise you can do is walk on your heels.

After doing this every day for over a decade, it has all but completely prevented me from ever getting shin splints. I have no idea why this isn't advocated more often, or why more people don't do this. But it WILL WORK.

4. Ice your shins after you run for about 15 minutes, if you have problems with them. Consider running on grass, track, dirt or other softer ground as well if at all possible.

5. If you have shin splints currently and still want to run, all is not lost. Find an athletic trainer who knows how to use athletic tape, and have them tape your shins before your run. Another option is using shin compression sleeves, which (I believe) do the same thing. This of course isn't a long-term solution, but you can still get a few runs in even with painful shin splints using this method.

And there you go. Very simple things you can do every day. But the absolute key is strengthen the muscles in your shins.

Replies

• juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I don't get shin splints, but I'm currently laid up because I obviously didn't stretch well enough before my run yesterday. Actually had my best time (5K in 32.11) but after the run, my lower heel was pulling. By the end of the day I couldn't walk. Today it isn't as bad, but sore. Taking Aleve and icing it when I can.

Can't stress stretching enough. For whatever reason, when this happens to me- it's always my right foot/ heel.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Hey these are awesome tips! I just started but sometimes my shins ache like hell - thank you for sharing this! These should help A LOT!
  • Lanise_10
    Lanise_10 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips!!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Fantastic advice! Thanks.