Low Sodium Wing Sauce

Options
So I made the Crock Pot Shredded buffalo chicken that a lot of MFP has raved about. After plugging it into the recipe builder, it is SOOOOOOOOOOOPER high in sodium.

So after some googling, I found Mr Spice NO Salt Wing Sauce. Has anyone tried it? I'm going to order some and check it out.

http://www.mrspice.com/sauce/

I LOVE LOVE LOVE buffalo wing flavor, but the sodium is astronomical, regardless of the brand.

Replies

• alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Never tried it, but based on the ingredients, I'd be surprised if it tastes like traditional buffalo sauce. It doesn't look bad overall, however I personally won't buy any sauce where the first ingredient is water. What about making your own? Traditional buffalo sauce is cayenne pepper, vinegar, salt and garlic powder. You could just reduce the amount of salt to whatever level you prefer.
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    No such thing. If it isn't Frank's Hot Sauce, it's not real wing sauce. Take it from a Buffalonian :)
  • ccole4
    ccole4 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    No such thing. If it isn't Frank's Hot Sauce, it's not real wing sauce. Take it from a Buffalonian :)
  • ccole4
    ccole4 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    YUP
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    IDK wings without the salt that might be blasphemy. Give it a try though let us know how it goes.

And LOL @ buffalonian!
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    If it isn't Frank's Hot Sauce, it's not real wing sauce. Take it from a Buffalonian :)

I agree. Unfortunately, Frank's in it's own right is pretty high in sodium. If I can find a decent facsimile I'll be happy.

Isn't traditional buffalo sauce Franks, and butter, oil, more salt and vinegar?
  • McMehu
    McMehu Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I make a creamy buffalo dip by adding a small amount of buffalo sauce into greek yogurt. May be a smidgin of blue cheese or ranch to the mix too. It is creamy and low sodium but sadly not as spicy. A few drops of the tabasco buffalo (not regular tabasco) makes it spicy again
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    If it isn't Frank's Hot Sauce, it's not real wing sauce. Take it from a Buffalonian :)

I agree. Unfortunately, Frank's in it's own right is pretty high in sodium. If I can find a decent facsimile I'll be happy.

Isn't traditional buffalo sauce Franks, and butter, oil, more salt and vinegar?

Just Franks and butter - Only added oil would be from deep frying the wings. Best additions to traditional sauce are extra garlic and chipotle. ;)
  • stevebittle
    Options
    You can't comment on a health question by saying the person asking the question has no choice but to stick with the original product/recipe. That's against the entire point of them asking the question in the first place. Particularly in a "health-related" feed, people are looking for healthier alternatives! It's like saying "there's no replacement for a double cheese sausage pizza so too bad, why try". Everyone reaches a point in life where they can keep eating like a moronic teenager or they can start taking control of their health and ask responsible questions and...what's that?...look for healthier alternatives.

Of course there are no 100% reproductions for big azz fried wings slathered in Frank's Red Hot Wing Sauce and dipped in 100% handmade blue cheese or ranch dressing, but be prepared for the sticker shock of artery clogging, hypertension inducing levels of fat and sodium. I've seen TONS of healthier alternatives to the most yummy of all scenarios and you know what, they ARE as tasty as the great Frank's Red Hot versions. Reproductions? No. Replacements? Sure.

The point of these chat feeds is to be an open forum for ideas and information sharing. If you don't have a reasonable suggestion, do us all a favor and don't say anything. It will cut these feeds in half and those who have spent hours in the kitchen inventing and trying recipes can be heard and introduce NEW ideas for GREAT foods that are healthy alternatives.

Thanks...from a 40-something guy who, although was in shape and seemingly healthy, had cardiac arrest, died for 5 minutes, had quadruple heart bypass and a defibrillator and now is leading a highly active, healthy lifestyle but STILL gets to enjoy ALTERNATIVE versions of menu items like pizza, pasta, snacks and desserts that taste as good if not better than the crap that the moronic teenager is eating.
  • sheiladanzig
    Options
    Mr. Spice No Salt Wing Sauce has POTASSIUM CHLORIDE ... tastes like salt but is toxic. worse for you than salt.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I use cayenne pepper, celery seed, garlic, olive oil (opt), and apple cider vinegar as a buffalo type marinade. It works well.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You can't comment on a health question by saying the person asking the question has no choice but to stick with the original product/recipe. That's against the entire point of them asking the question in the first place. Particularly in a "health-related" feed, people are looking for healthier alternatives! It's like saying "there's no replacement for a double cheese sausage pizza so too bad, why try". Everyone reaches a point in life where they can keep eating like a moronic teenager or they can start taking control of their health and ask responsible questions and...what's that?...look for healthier alternatives.

Of course there are no 100% reproductions for big azz fried wings slathered in Frank's Red Hot Wing Sauce and dipped in 100% handmade blue cheese or ranch dressing, but be prepared for the sticker shock of artery clogging, hypertension inducing levels of fat and sodium. I've seen TONS of healthier alternatives to the most yummy of all scenarios and you know what, they ARE as tasty as the great Frank's Red Hot versions. Reproductions? No. Replacements? Sure.

The point of these chat feeds is to be an open forum for ideas and information sharing. If you don't have a reasonable suggestion, do us all a favor and don't say anything. It will cut these feeds in half and those who have spent hours in the kitchen inventing and trying recipes can be heard and introduce NEW ideas for GREAT foods that are healthy alternatives.

Thanks...from a 40-something guy who, although was in shape and seemingly healthy, had cardiac arrest, died for 5 minutes, had quadruple heart bypass and a defibrillator and now is leading a highly active, healthy lifestyle but STILL gets to enjoy ALTERNATIVE versions of menu items like pizza, pasta, snacks and desserts that taste as good if not better than the crap that the moronic teenager is eating.

Strong first post...do you even MFP?

tumblr_mr5y1xLa6N1svufyzo1_250.gif
  • juliedixon528
    Options
    I ran across Wing Time Medium Wing Sauce recently; MUCH lower in sodium (40 mg for 2 tbsp [1 ounce]) AND it tastes like the real thing!
  • juliedixon528
    Options
    Potassium chloride is NOT worse for you than salt, UNLESS you have some kind of kidney failure.