If you've ever "fallen off" the wagon, how'd you recover

Options
OK, so I haven't completely fallen off the wagon but I started out doing great. I was steadily losing 2 pounds a week on average, working out 30 mins - 90 minutes a day 6 - 7 days per week, and didn't even desire to overeat. I logged EVERYTHING everyday. But the past two weeks, I've been sleeping in rather than getting up and working out before work (in case I couldn't get there after), have been taking bites of this and that, stress ate food out of a pot, and didn't log everything because I knew I was going to be over anyway. I know I have to get this under control now. My stress level has increased this past week and I know that's part of it, but food that I didn't find appealing at all a few weeks ago is starting to sound good again. SO...have you fallen off the wagon before, and if so, how did you get back on? I don't want to lose my momentum, this is the longest I have stuck with this in a long time and I feel good but it's starting to seem hard now :sad:

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same funk. I think I might need to take a break for a few days and eat at maintenance, kind of catch my breath and reevaluate what I want.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I have been chewing gum which is helping, cant put anything else in my mouth. I like to eat a little of this and a little of that and it adds up. I am trying to remember how summer is coming and I want to wear those clothes!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I did a bit this weekend. Corrected myself my fighting through a few tough choices and just being conscience of my decisions really. Forced myself to run even.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've fallen off several times over. Stopped & started, hit a goal, summer arrived, slacked off, pants were too tight by autumn...started again, holidays rolled around, stopped again. Finally one day I just decided this was it, no more - I hated the feeling of "starting all over again" and being in so much pain from restarting workouts! :tongue:

A lot of it is just the mind, you just have to resolve to do it. At least that's what I did. It became priority to get the workouts done, and to track everything. I read tons of threads here for inspiration and motivation, I tried new workouts, checked out workout DVDs from my library, read books about fitness, and just kept going. Logged my 540th day in a row here at MFP this morning. I log daily, no matter what - through vacations, jury duty, illness, a miscarriage - it became part of my day to track my food. Same with exercise, it has become what I do.

Making things reasonable and sustainable helped, too. No more restrictive calories and trying to stay at 1200 - part of my reading and educating myself in this whole process brought me to this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

With the info and tools there, I calculated my BMR and my TDEE and now aim to eat in between those two numbers. Easy peasy. I've been eating at a 15-20% deficit from my TDEE for nearly a year with great results. Fat is coming off, I hit a goal weight I haven't seen in 20 years, and I'm still losing inches. And this is with eating pizza, burgers, drinking beer and wine, having desserts, etc - I can still enjoy these things and fit them into my goals and continue my healthy lifestyle.

Because this time, it ain't temporary - this is life for me now! Fit, strong, healthy!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    just get back on it. NBD

have a good hard work out and then those gross foods wont be so appealing anymore and you will feel good again
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    The only thing that got me back on the wagon was getting sick. Not being able to eat for nearly a week kick started me back into abstaining mode. So now I'm eating a healthy amount of calories daily and back on the wagon. :)

Sorry but that's not very helpful is it?
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breathe and just relax...it's not the end of the world when you "fall off the wagon". Just remember why you wanted to be healthier in the first place. Go ahead and do a workout and hopefully you will get you back in the groove and the feeling that comes from a great workout can't be beat! Best of luck to ya!!:flowerforyou: