Stronglift 5x5 and Spondylosisthesis

Options
I'm interested in trying the Stronglift 5x5 program, but I've been shying away from doing squats and deadlifts due to a condition I have in my back.

An orthopedic surgeon diagnosed me with grade 1 spondylosisthesis. He encouraged me to continue working out, but to stay away from things that place an excessive amount of strain on the lower back, like squats and dead lifts.

However, I've read from some posts by people with spondylosisthesis that doing squats and dead lifts have actually helped their condition.

Do any of you on here have this condition and are able to do squats and dead lifts? Just looking for some advice for the moment.

Thanks.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if it were me in your position, I'd trust the people who have benefited from the lifts. Doctors always seem to err on the side of caution when it comes to things that they know **** all about. I've had co-workers be told to never lift anything heavy again after hurting their back carrying 50 lbs. First, it wasn't the weight that hurt them, it was the way they fell usually. Second, 50 pounds isn't heavy, no matter what insurance companies may want people to believe.