No fail weight loss?

Options
Thanks captndalton!! That is what I thought, even in starvation mode, the body will still lose weight, and pull it from the fatty areas (aka....my butt!) So why do people say, "you need to eat more to lose?", "your not eating enough calories if you are eating 1200/day and not losing"? It is so frustrating.
You talked about adding calories back once a week to reset your metabolism? I think that is what my hubby and I are going to do. I'm gonna stick to counting every last calorie and stick to 1000 to 1200 a day and one day a week we will eat something we are really wanting. Do you think that will work? I've heard Jullian say something about low calories for a few days and then higher calories one day will up the metabolism? Is that true?

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    It's a great plan if you want to lose your muscles!

You don't reset your metabolism. Your metabolism is what it is and will lower with age and loss of muscle and will increase with muscle gain.

Why torture yourself by eating so little when you can get results eating more. Eating so little will cause muscle loss.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Listen, if you want nice saggy skin, brittle hair and a sallow complexion, knock yourself out!

Eating that low, especially if you're working out, will force your body to eat the muscle as well as burning fat. So if you like bones and sagging skin and no tone, go for it! I'll keep eating my 2000 cals and lifting weights and maintaining my 70-lb weight loss for over 20 years, thanks! lol
  • wolveslovemee
    wolveslovemee Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I think what they have both said is more or less correct ^^

Also I think Jillian means when youre in a plateau, its useful, sometimes, to "zig zag" calories. I dont think Jillian would ever recommend a person eat less than 12-1300 calories. Im pretty sure she would be horrified (just my assumption).

For one, if you're REALLY overweight, if you eat even slightly less than what you typically do (and very healthy meals at that), and exercise, you will lose weight. Your body does NOT like that extra fat, it WILL come off easy.

However, if you're already pretty small but what to lose your fat, your 1000-1200 calorie diet is a very sure way to lose fat...and muscle. I believe this low calorie intake also kind of messed up your metabolism. You will stall and ultimately stop losing weight. I actually know from first hand experience because I did that low of calories for 4 months and lost 2 pounds. NOT KIDDING!

Try a high protein, healthy natural carbs and low sugar diet. Dont be obsessive about low calories. Just be obsessive about eating healthy. It will come off :)
  • ShariTho1
    ShariTho1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If I am still excercising How would I lose muscle? I am no nutritionist but it does make sense that your body will "feed" off of excess fat on your body when in starvation mode, and wouldn't it feed off of the fat before the muscle. :huh: Is there any definate science behind this theory??? Am I completely wrong? Also, I am 170 lbs now and would like to lose 10 - 15 lbs so I don't think my skin is going to get saggy with only losing that much weight, will it? :sad: I am 5' 9" and have always been a walker/jogger. More walking than jogging. :happy: Never been a huge weight lifter, although I would like to do more of it.
    Sorry about all the faces....I just found them, LOL!!!
    All of your advise is great and I love having this "family" of people talking about there knowlege and strategies of trying to look and feel there best. I look forward to reading everyones thoughts and advice throughout the day.
    Thanks!!!!! CHEERS!!! :drinker: Ha Ha I love these faces
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    If I am still excercising How would I lose muscle? I am no nutritionist but it does make sense that your body will "feed" off of excess fat on your body when in starvation mode, and wouldn't it feed off of the fat before the muscle. :huh: Is there any definate science behind this theory??? Am I completely wrong?

Yes, you are completely wrong.

"Loss of muscle occurs during quick weight loss because burning fat calories is much harder in a short period than losing lean tissue and fluids. "

http://www.livestrong.com/article/388082-can-you-lose-muscle-by-losing-weight/

You need to consume enough to properly fuel your body. You should make it to point to never net below your basal metabolic rate (BMR) Without proper fuel and strength training with heavy weights you WILL lose muscle.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Ok, now that I've got my kid on the bus I have time to add more details.

The above poster is correct when she said the Jillian would not approve of a less than 1,200 calorie diet. Have you ever listened to her Podcast? She is constantly telling her callers to EAT.

I am your age and currently below my goal weight of 130 pounds. I'm 20.3% body fat. My MFP starting weight was 170, but my all time high was over 200. I got to where I am by eating. Yes, I did the 1,200 calorie thing and too much cardio in the beginning. You know what happened? I plateaued and felt like crap. When I increased to 1,600 and reduced my cardio and started to feel better and the fat started melting off again. I then increased to 1,800 and started lifting heavy weight and I began to feel (and look) even better.

These days I workout an hour a day 6 days a week, doing a mix of circuit training with heavy weights, plyometrics, and stretching. I eat between 1,800-2,000 calories on weekdays and often go to 3,000 on weekends. I am STILL losing fat, I feel great, I have muscles, and I look healthy.

Go to www.fat2fitradio.com/BMR for a simple explanation of BMR and how to lose fat the healthy way.
  • now_or_never13
    Options
    If I am still excercising How would I lose muscle?

With too high of a deficit your body will eat away muscle. It does in any calorie deficit, more so if you have a higher deficit than you should. Muscle provides more energy for the body than fat.

You said yourself you walk and jog.... that will not help you retain muscle mass. To retain muscle while on a deficit you need a smaller deficit (one that is safe for how much you have left to lose... so a setting of 0.5lbs per week for you), and you need to consume more than enough protein and lift heavy weights. Cardio, will not help you retain muscle.

Don't forget, your heart is a muscle.
    Also, I am 170 lbs now and would like to lose 10 - 15 lbs so I don't think my skin is going to get saggy with only losing that much weight, will it? :sad: I am 5' 9" and have always been a walker/jogger. More walking than jogging. :happy: Never been a huge weight lifter, although I would like to do more of it.

If you only have 10-15lbs to lose you should have your weekly loss goal set at 0.5lbs per week and nothing more. The less you have to lose, the smaller of a deficit you should have.

Your body needs a certain amount of net calories in a day just to run. Research BMR and find yours. That is the amount of calories your body needs just to function when you do nothing... that is the amount of calories your body needs when you are in a coma.

You need to ensure you are getting proper nutrition.

You will end up with some saggy skin if you lose muscle. Muscle is what tightens your body... muscle is what gives you definition.
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Find and read the Roadmap 2.0 post in the forums. Best advice on finding the right daily calorie limits for you rather than choosing some arbitrary number. Educate yourself, read, read, read!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Thanks captndalton!! That is what I thought, even in starvation mode, the body will still lose weight, and pull it from the fatty areas (aka....my butt!) So why do people say, "you need to eat more to lose?", "your not eating enough calories if you are eating 1200/day and not losing"? It is so frustrating.
    You talked about adding calories back once a week to reset your metabolism? I think that is what my hubby and I are going to do. I'm gonna stick to counting every last calorie and stick to 1000 to 1200 a day and one day a week we will eat something we are really wanting. Do you think that will work? I've heard Jullian say something about low calories for a few days and then higher calories one day will up the metabolism? Is that true?

If you don't eat enough a large % of your weight loss will come from lean muscle, not just from fat. And if the deficit is too large you it may be difficult to get adequate protein, fat, vitamins and minerals which can lead to malnutrition, hair loss, weak nails, low energy, mental fatigue, etc.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    If I am still excercising How would I lose muscle? I am no nutritionist but it does make sense that your body will "feed" off of excess fat on your body when in starvation mode, and wouldn't it feed off of the fat before the muscle. :huh: Is there any definate science behind this theory??? Am I completely wrong? Also, I am 170 lbs now and would like to lose 10 - 15 lbs so I don't think my skin is going to get saggy with only losing that much weight, will it? :sad: I am 5' 9" and have always been a walker/jogger. More walking than jogging. :happy: Never been a huge weight lifter, although I would like to do more of it.
    All of your advise is great and I love having this "family" of people talking about there knowlege and strategies of trying to look and feel there best. I look forward to reading everyones thoughts and advice throughout the day.

it will burn muscle to survive - as less muscle means less calories needed. you will still lose weight eating 1200 - its not just not good long-term. getting most of your cals from protein may preserve some of the muscle.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Actually starvation mode, is when your body will feed off of more lean muscle than fat in order to preserve as much fat as it can in case it needs it, the body thinks it is starving so it will do what it can to use less cals. Burning muscle is one way as muscle uses calories at rest, fat does not, so it is more efficient for your body to burn the muscle and save the fat, that way the fat stores will last longer, the longer you underfeed your body.

FYI: Cardio exercise will only speed up the process of muscle loss, adequate protein and strength training will reduce the amount of muscle you will lose.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • ShariTho1
    Options
    Has anyone heard of the MedGem. I am told this is what they use on the Biggest Loser to figure out how many calories a person should eat to lose weight. It is a machine you breath into and it is suppose to figure how many calories you need "if your in a coma" :happy: or just for your body to funtion. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it accurate?
  • now_or_never13
    Options
    Has anyone heard of the MedGem. I am told this is what they use on the Biggest Loser to figure out how many calories a person should eat to lose weight. It is a machine you breath into and it is suppose to figure how many calories you need "if your in a coma" :happy: or just for your body to funtion. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it accurate?

You can find that out via the many calculators online. There is one here under the "app" tab.. there are also hundreds online. Google BMR calculator and try a few than take an average. It will be as accurate as whatever it is that they blow into to find out what their BMR is. The thing you are talking about wouldn't be super accurate as you need to know a proper amount of muscle mass, body fat, etc to find out your real BMR... and those tests can cost a lot of money.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just calculate it? There are a lot of BMR calculators online.
  • ShariTho1
    Options
    I have done several BMR calculators online and they all have different readings. I will do some more research, thanks!
  • now_or_never13
    Options
    I have done several BMR calculators online and they all have different readings. I will do some more research, thanks!

Take an average of what you get. They will give different readings as some use different things to calculate. You should be netting at least your BMR.