Working out with a hurt back

I injured my lower back (just above my tailbone) working out to a DVD about a week ago. I have since discovered the form issue that caused it and have corrected it, but I am, for now, taking it easy in order to let my back heal. Can anyone please suggest some exercises/workout routines/youtube videos/DVD's that I can do that probably won't aggravate my back pain? From my research, I know I have flexion-based lower back pain. From trial and error, exercises that usually aggravate my back are squats, reverse crunches, and lower ab flexion work. I find that split squats, lunges and glute bridges don't aggravate the pain.

I'm just so used to doing set workout routines or DVD's that I'm at a loss as to what to do, since I don't have access to a gym and therefore an elliptical or bike. I need to do some intense cardio to keep up my conditioning and some strength workouts to maintain (and maybe even build?) muscle while I'm letting my back heal.

Also, any suggestions as to how much I need to exercise my muscles and do cardio in order to just maintain my fitness, strength, and muscle? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, guys. :D

Replies

• Bump? :)
  • No one? D:
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    I think no one has replied because no one wants to give advice on how to work out when you are injured. You'd be better off resting and letting yourself heal up vs tryng to work thru it and possibly making it worse.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Walk. Unless walking hurts.
  • GFQueen
    GFQueen Posts: 10 Member
    I agree that when you are injured, you need to just let your body rest. Returning to exercise when you're not fully healed and recovered can actually make an injury worse.

If you'd like a calorie burn with no equipment, walking is fantastic. It is low-impact, but it will help your overall fitness. People underestimate the power of walking for health and weight loss.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    with an injury you really should see a PT who knows how to set up a plan just for you. I broke my tail bone when I was very young and could barely stand up. Needed help getting in and out of bed and on and off the toilet. To this day I still get pain in my tail bone. I now also have herniated discs from heavy lifting in my younger years, and then making things worse with a car accident and then 3 pregnancies. I could never heavy lift like those here talk about. I have a plan set up for me by my PT and I have not re-injured myself since. Well unless I fall which I do quite often...but thats besides the point. An injury is nothing to take lightly. Get to the dr. and get a referral to a good PT and see about getting a plan set up just for you and your injury so you don't make things worse.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    GO to your doctor, see what they say, if necessary get some physical therapy. If it's not that serious rest it and do some gentle stretching. Make sure you are getting good nutrition and taking a break shouldn't set you back at all. In fact, you may get better results after taking a break.

I have occasional lower back pain, and massage helps me, because I know it is just muscle tension. If it is purely muscular that may help but definitely seek professional medical advice before doing any type of treatment.
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    I too have been dealing with some lower back pain. Mine is in the form of knots off to the side of my spine (so not a spinal injury). I have been going to PT for the last 6 weeks. They have shown me some exercises to help and they really do. In the mean time, they told me I would walk as much as I wanted or felt I could. So for me, I got the Leslie Sansone Walking DVD and do it every morning. It really does seem to help keep my back from cramping up during the day. That being said, I agree mostly with what everyone else is saying. Go see the Dr or Physical Therapist and as them what you can and can not do to strengthen your back muscles and not cause injury.

Good luck
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Never mind, not trying to be an a-hole...
  • jimmie65
    Last time I hurt my back ( leg press) I started doing deadlifts the next day. No back pain since

Horrible advice. Actually, beyond horrible.
    You have no idea what she has done to her back and should not even be suggesting that she do deadlifts.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    I wasn't telling her to do that...just saying what I did in my youth.
  • Thanks for the advice, everyone. My back pain is mild enough that I don't think I need a doctor or PT just yet. I'm just going to take a break, then. :) thanks
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    I don't know what you can do while your back is hurting but perhaps doing pilates or yoga to strengthen your core will help keep it from happening again.
    Feel better soon.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    I guess you don't have acess to a pool either... well I would suggest you do some web searches you might find some helpful therapy movements. But you do need to move, lying around is not good. Light stretching, brisk walking maybe? If it hurts Stop!
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    I disagree with everyone else, and people can yell at me if they want. But I injured my back (just above the tailbone, in that area where your butt and back meet) during a squat doing 30 Day Shred the other night. And I took it easy for a day or two, it didn't get better AT ALL, so I just went on and powered through it and only THEN did the pain go away. Sometimes the pains we get we need activity to cure it.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Don't do deadlifts or squats or yoga or pilates.

I'd tell you to stretch a lot (that's what helps with my back pain) except not knowing the specific problem, doing certain stretches/extensions could possibly make it worse. If you take a break and you notice that the same spot is getting aggravated again, get yourself to a chiropractor/doctor/physio, someone who can medically *kitten* your back and possibly take some X-rays.

Your back pain is real enough for you to make a post asking for advice. You don't want to make it worse by doing something stupid. Chronic back pain is not a fun way to live.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Sometimes the pains we get we need activity to cure it.

^ No. Not when it comes to your back. Dumb advice.
  • jimmie65
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. My back pain is mild enough that I don't think I need a doctor or PT just yet. I'm just going to take a break, then. :) thanks

Very good idea. Hopefully, it's nothing serious but you don't want to mess up your back.
  • jimmie65
    I disagree with everyone else, and people can yell at me if they want. But I injured my back (just above the tailbone, in that area where your butt and back meet) during a squat doing 30 Day Shred the other night. And I took it easy for a day or two, it didn't get better AT ALL, so I just went on and powered through it and only THEN did the pain go away. Sometimes the pains we get we need activity to cure it.

Consider yourself yelled at.