Could these pics be the reason I'm not losing??

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Couple of thoughts -

you say you are eating more carbs - how much more? Could be a water retention issue.

What are your workouts?

As someone else pointed out those scales are notoriously inaccurate unfortunately.

In the last 90 days, the highest was 250, the lowest was 80, in the past 2 weeks around the 150 mark. but looking at the carb report, it does seem like I've had 150 almost every day for 9 days. before that it varied every day up or down.

Workouts --> varies but highest intensity ones are long hilly walks (keeping HR above 130 throughout), jogging, 30 day shred and very recently, the HIRT workouts with a personal trainer. The lowest intensity are things like shovelling snow, walking, dancing etc but I usually low-ball those calories and don't count things like cleaning etc.

I was typing while you posted this.
    HRMs aren't exactly accurate for interval training and weight training. You may be getting higher burns.
    I would suggest trying the TDEE method posted above.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I agree with the sodium bit....that can fluctuate water weight quite a bit.

I agree with mixing up the workout. I would suggest adding some strength training into the mix if you are not getting any with the new HIRT class (I'm assuming that is some form of High intensity interval training). I would suggest core work, compound lifts like a clean and press, and a mix of squats/lunges to start.

Over estimating calories is just as bad as under estimating. If you really want to succeed at the challenge for work, take control of your own diet and cook your own food. That way you know what you are eating and don't have to estimate. It takes more time and effort, but it can be well worth it. It also helps keep the sodium in check.

HRM are good to calculate calorie burn, but I know mine registers a little higher than what I probably do burn. Since you eat back your exercise calories, you may try taking the reading from that and subtracting 25% as well. This will keep you in line with the TDEE -25% if that is your desired amount. If you take your numbers of 1900 TDEE and consumption of 1425 but then had 900 calories of exercise that you ate all back, you are really eating TDEE - 17%. Math = 1900 x .75 = 1425. 1425 + 900 = 2325. 1900 + 900 = 2800 (True TDEE). 2325/2800 = .83. 100%-83% = 17%. So if you eat only 675 of the 900 exercise calories back you will be at True TDEE - 25%. Given the above numbers you would look at TDEE of 2800 and eat 2100 calories a day (obviously depending on exercise totals) for a 700/day deficit. This, in terms of weight loss math, equates to a 1.4 lb/week loss rate.

Bioimpedance scales are not the most accurate and readings can be thrown off by the smallest things. They are good for long term trend watching, but the readings shouldn't be used to say I am this % fat. So just because it says you are up 1% can mean nothing. Something as simple as being more or less hydrated or even having a full bladder can throw the number off.

I would also suggest you start using a tape measure (cloth one like for sewing) to measure your body. Even if the scale isn't budging it doesn't mean your body isn't reshaping. Most common points are hips, around the belly button, natural waist, chest, and thighs.

Hope this helps.

ETA - Since you are looking at various TDEE #'s play around with them, but the same principle applies for the exercise.
  • justinegrey
    justinegrey Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    did you calculate your TDEE or are you on MFP custom settings?

what is your height, weight, and age?

Think someone mentioned this but you should build a work out program around bench press, squats, deadlifts, over head press, pull-ups/chinups, etc. Three day a week total body workout is good for beginners with about two days cardio and two rest days. Once you hit some goals you can back off the cardio and maybe go to an upper/lower split or something like that...

I used a TDEE calculator (IIFYM) but did not include exercise in it because a) it varies each day (i.e. some days I will exercise off 800 calories and other days just a couple hundred) and b) I like being able to eat back calories from exercise and track through MFP. It makes me want to work out haha.

I am 5'4, 160ish pounds, 27 years old.

Yes, I absolutely agree you with, I just saw a personal trainer on the weekend who is giving me a HIRT 3x a week program, including deadlifts, bench press, etc. When you say rest days, do you think active rest is okay (i.e. yoga, jogging, walking etc.) or literally do nothing those 2 days? Thanks again for your help

rest is the hardest part of my program. I just changed from a 5 to 6 day a week routine to a upper/lower split four days a week with rest on wens and light HIIT on saturday...I really like lifting weights..crazy I know..

Active rest is OK ..if you are going to Jog I would keep it to less then a mile. My wens rest day is five minutes walking on treadmill maybe 1-2 minutes slow jogging..stretch...and then 15 minutes abs and that is it...

If you are using TDEE and eating exercise calories back this is probably your problem. If you recalculate your TDEE with moderately active = 3-5 days exercise you get 2364 cals a day for maintenance...so if you take off 25% you get a daily intake of 1773 calories per day which is a daily deficit of 591. I think if you combine this method with your new three day a week regimen, two days cardio, and two days rest you will see some nice gains...

Maybe Mon Wens Fri weights...Tues/Thurs cardio...Sat/Sun active rest....Try this and new cal intake for four to six weeks and see how it goes...just my opinion...

and body weight scales are pretty inaccurate for body fat %...you can get calipers at GNC for like 20.00...

So are you saying I'm eating too much since I'm eating exercise calories back? Looking at the total I'm eating (not net), it's no more than 1800 a day, usually an average of 1500. So even with eating them back, I'm still not eating more than 1700 an average a day.

Is there a way to do it so I get to count my exercise calories as food? I find it to be a real motivator for me in terms of getting exercise in.

I like your plan though, thank you so much for taking the time to look into all that for me. Would "weights" be HIRT? There are weights in that program and I feel like I've been hit by a truck the next day so I'm not sure I could lift the day after that ha.
  • justinegrey
    Options
    Couple of thoughts -

you say you are eating more carbs - how much more? Could be a water retention issue.

What are your workouts?

As someone else pointed out those scales are notoriously inaccurate unfortunately.

In the last 90 days, the highest was 250, the lowest was 80, in the past 2 weeks around the 150 mark. but looking at the carb report, it does seem like I've had 150 almost every day for 9 days. before that it varied every day up or down.

Workouts --> varies but highest intensity ones are long hilly walks (keeping HR above 130 throughout), jogging, 30 day shred and very recently, the HIRT workouts with a personal trainer. The lowest intensity are things like shovelling snow, walking, dancing etc but I usually low-ball those calories and don't count things like cleaning etc.

I was typing while you posted this.
    HRMs aren't exactly accurate for interval training and weight training. You may be getting higher burns.
    I would suggest trying the TDEE method posted above.

Oh man... so hard to know what to do. I dont use the HRM for weight training or interval unless my heart rate stays above 135 the entire time. I thought this was the correct way.

But yes, sadly I will have to stop doing the "everything I exercise is extra food" and do the 1700 not counting exercise calories going forward. that makes sense.
  • justinegrey
    Options
    I agree with the sodium bit....that can fluctuate water weight quite a bit.

I agree with mixing up the workout. I would suggest adding some strength training into the mix if you are not getting any with the new HIRT class (I'm assuming that is some form of High intensity interval training). I would suggest core work, compound lifts like a clean and press, and a mix of squats/lunges to start.

Over estimating calories is just as bad as under estimating. If you really want to succeed at the challenge for work, take control of your own diet and cook your own food. That way you know what you are eating and don't have to estimate. It takes more time and effort, but it can be well worth it. It also helps keep the sodium in check.

HRM are good to calculate calorie burn, but I know mine registers a little higher than what I probably do burn. Since you eat back your exercise calories, you may try taking the reading from that and subtracting 25% as well. This will keep you in line with the TDEE -25% if that is your desired amount. If you take your numbers of 1900 TDEE and consumption of 1425 but then had 900 calories of exercise that you ate all back, you are really eating TDEE - 17%. Math = 1900 x .75 = 1425. 1425 + 900 = 2325. 1900 + 900 = 2800 (True TDEE). 2325/2800 = .83. 100%-83% = 17%. So if you eat only 675 of the 900 exercise calories back you will be at True TDEE - 25%. Given the above numbers you would look at TDEE of 2800 and eat 2100 calories a day (obviously depending on exercise totals) for a 700/day deficit. This, in terms of weight loss math, equates to a 1.4 lb/week loss rate.

Bioimpedance scales are not the most accurate and readings can be thrown off by the smallest things. They are good for long term trend watching, but the readings shouldn't be used to say I am this % fat. So just because it says you are up 1% can mean nothing. Something as simple as being more or less hydrated or even having a full bladder can throw the number off.

I would also suggest you start using a tape measure (cloth one like for sewing) to measure your body. Even if the scale isn't budging it doesn't mean your body isn't reshaping. Most common points are hips, around the belly button, natural waist, chest, and thighs.

Hope this helps.

ETA - Since you are looking at various TDEE #'s play around with them, but the same principle applies for the exercise.

woah thank you so much for taking the time. Your advice is really sound. I do love to cook and feel best when I do, I've had a lot of work situations lately and then of course date nights with my husband but agree that it's time to curb these until I get to where I want to be weight/goal wise.

I didn't realize the mistake I was making with the TDEE and exercise calories. Your calculation makes total sense. I just did a TDEE calculator and it seems like my TDEE (with exercise included) is 2530 and my BMR is 1500.

2530 - 25% = 1898 not eating back any exercise calories. Is that correct? I do think it's safer to attempt 1700 calories just in case I have a week where I don't go as hard as I usually do.

thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate your time

And everyone else who took the time today - thank you so much!!!
  • justinegrey
    Options
    although, looking at my calorie report, i'm eating around 1700-1800 calories (not net), which is including eating exercise calories back. So isnt that the same as TDEE - 25% = 1700 total?
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to do less exercise, you don't need to do 2 x 90mins workouts.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    did you calculate your TDEE or are you on MFP custom settings?

what is your height, weight, and age?

Think someone mentioned this but you should build a work out program around bench press, squats, deadlifts, over head press, pull-ups/chinups, etc. Three day a week total body workout is good for beginners with about two days cardio and two rest days. Once you hit some goals you can back off the cardio and maybe go to an upper/lower split or something like that...

I used a TDEE calculator (IIFYM) but did not include exercise in it because a) it varies each day (i.e. some days I will exercise off 800 calories and other days just a couple hundred) and b) I like being able to eat back calories from exercise and track through MFP. It makes me want to work out haha.

I am 5'4, 160ish pounds, 27 years old.

Yes, I absolutely agree you with, I just saw a personal trainer on the weekend who is giving me a HIRT 3x a week program, including deadlifts, bench press, etc. When you say rest days, do you think active rest is okay (i.e. yoga, jogging, walking etc.) or literally do nothing those 2 days? Thanks again for your help

rest is the hardest part of my program. I just changed from a 5 to 6 day a week routine to a upper/lower split four days a week with rest on wens and light HIIT on saturday...I really like lifting weights..crazy I know..

Active rest is OK ..if you are going to Jog I would keep it to less then a mile. My wens rest day is five minutes walking on treadmill maybe 1-2 minutes slow jogging..stretch...and then 15 minutes abs and that is it...

If you are using TDEE and eating exercise calories back this is probably your problem. If you recalculate your TDEE with moderately active = 3-5 days exercise you get 2364 cals a day for maintenance...so if you take off 25% you get a daily intake of 1773 calories per day which is a daily deficit of 591. I think if you combine this method with your new three day a week regimen, two days cardio, and two days rest you will see some nice gains...

Maybe Mon Wens Fri weights...Tues/Thurs cardio...Sat/Sun active rest....Try this and new cal intake for four to six weeks and see how it goes...just my opinion...

and body weight scales are pretty inaccurate for body fat %...you can get calipers at GNC for like 20.00...

So are you saying I'm eating too much since I'm eating exercise calories back? Looking at the total I'm eating (not net), it's no more than 1800 a day, usually an average of 1500. So even with eating them back, I'm still not eating more than 1700 an average a day.

Is there a way to do it so I get to count my exercise calories as food? I find it to be a real motivator for me in terms of getting exercise in.

I like your plan though, thank you so much for taking the time to look into all that for me. Would "weights" be HIRT? There are weights in that program and I feel like I've been hit by a truck the next day so I'm not sure I could lift the day after that ha.

I am not familiar with HIRT ...what kind of work out program is that?
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Had to do the googles too - high intensity resistance training. Basically from what I understand going for one resistance exercise to the next without rest. I could be wrong though.
  • justinegrey
    Options
    HIRT = an hour of circuits where you do a variety of things that keep your heart rate up but include weight lifting... so for example 1 minute of treadmill at 25 incline and fast, then planks, then treadmill, then step ups with lifting, then treadmill, then push-ups, then treadmill, then deadlifts, then treadmill, then... you get the idea. You get a break every so often but it's not like in lifting where you break in between sets, its like a break after the circuit.

I had a question about your advice to eat 1700 calories a day and not eat back exercise cals. It says now I'm grossing 1600-1800 a day (when I eat back exercise calories) so wouldn't that be the same as the TDEE situation you suggested. What is the difference between including the exercise in the total gross calories (1700 for example) versus eating 1350 + whatever you exercise... my only worry is that some days I don't exercise as much as other days.
  • justinegrey
    Options

Had to do the googles too - high intensity resistance training. Basically from what I understand going for one resistance exercise to the next without rest. I could be wrong though.

Correct. There is a rest but they wait until you do the circuit first. To me it's like a boot camp with lifting included. The program was given to me because I need to lose so much weight first (at least another 30 pounds) so instead of doing a higher weight lifting program like NROLFW or Starting Strength, this program would allow me to burn fat at the same time.
  • justinegrey
    Options
    My suggestion would be to do less exercise, you don't need to do 2 x 90mins workouts.

Thank you. The day I burned 900 calories it was 50 minutes of HIRT and then I decided to walk/jog home since the bus wasn't coming... which was another 40 minutes. I really like the way I feel when I get as much exercise as I can in. But I'm probably over doing it.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I lost 10 pounds easily within 4 weeks of starting MFP.... and I lost 4% body fat as well. I set myself to 1400 calories a day (net) and usually burn an average of 3500 calories a week in exercise. I feel like i'm kicking butt.

But I'm in a competition at my work for body fat% and after my first weigh-in 2 weeks ago (which showed the above results) to now, the scale hasn't really budged and what's worse is my body fat % has gone up 1%... we use the same scale each weigh-in.

I haven't really changed my eating habits in the past 2 weeks, except maybe a bit more carbs than I did at first. But I try to choose carbs from legumes and fruit, not grains or starches. You can see my dairy... you will notice I do eat out several times per week, especially on weekends and during lunch at work, but 99% of the time I try to choose the healthy options. Plus, I always record a bit more calories than I think just to be safe (i.e. choose the highest calorie option for an item, or choose 1.5-2 of an item instead of 1 so I don't lowball).

I know it's only been 2 weeks since things seemed to have stalled, but since I got off to such a good start, I thought surely I'd see something positive these last 2 weeks. Then I had a look at my weekly report for net calories. It looks like I'm netting between 900-1100 calories a day. Could this be why I'm stalling out? Or do you think it's more likely that I am eating more calories at restaurants than I'm counting?? Thanks in advance!! Justine

image.png
    image%5B1%5D.png
    photo.PNG
    image%5B3%5D.png
    image%5B2%5D.png
  • ShmareParks
    ShmareParks Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Eating back your exercise calories could be the sole problem here. I just read an article showing how most online estimates for calories burned from exercise AND most fitness machines OVERestimate the amount of calories burned. On average, the calories burned are overestimated by 15 to 20 percent! Perhaps low-balling THOSE figures would help?
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    HIRT = an hour of circuits where you do a variety of things that keep your heart rate up but include weight lifting... so for example 1 minute of treadmill at 25 incline and fast, then planks, then treadmill, then step ups with lifting, then treadmill, then push-ups, then treadmill, then deadlifts, then treadmill, then... you get the idea. You get a break every so often but it's not like in lifting where you break in between sets, its like a break after the circuit.

I had a question about your advice to eat 1700 calories a day and not eat back exercise cals. It says now I'm grossing 1600-1800 a day (when I eat back exercise calories) so wouldn't that be the same as the TDEE situation you suggested. What is the difference between including the exercise in the total gross calories (1700 for example) versus eating 1350 + whatever you exercise... my only worry is that some days I don't exercise as much as other days.

Ideally of you chose the activity level you will end up at the same place if you log exercise accurately. It's up to you which you feel is better.
    Ill be honest with you, my biggest concern here is overestimating exercise calories. You did say that you log for food which could cause problems. I think the TDEE method would be helpful here.
    Just pick one method and stick with it. If you aren't losing after a couple of weeks, re-adjust.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options

Thank you. The day I burned 900 calories it was 50 minutes of HIRT and then I decided to walk/jog home since the bus wasn't coming... which was another 40 minutes. I really like the way I feel when I get as much exercise as I can in. But I'm probably over doing it.

I also noticed you have a lot of 'packing boxes' logged. Are you moving house? Or is that in there for something else?
  • justinegrey
    Options

I also noticed you have a lot of 'packing boxes' logged. Are you moving house? Or is that in there for something else?

Oh yes, I did move. That was the time I lost a lot haha
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    So what have you changed since then? Apart from not packing boxes?
  • justinegrey
    Options
    Good question. After the move, I added more exercise to my routine. But I think it's true I'm overestimating calories burned and that's causing problems.
  • justinegrey
    Options

Ideally of you chose the activity level you will end up at the same place if you log exercise accurately. It's up to you which you feel is better.
    Ill be honest with you, my biggest concern here is overestimating exercise calories. You did say that you log for food which could cause problems. I think the TDEE method would be helpful here.
    Just pick one method and stick with it. If you aren't losing after a couple of weeks, re-adjust.

I agree, you're right. I hate you HRM. thanks for all your time today, TDEE is my best bet right now. Many thanks