Best Protein Powder for Baked Goods?

Options
Since joining MFP, I have tried several recipes involving protein powder, like the scone recipe posted by Mutant13, and a mug cake using protein powder and angel food cake mix someone on my friends list posted. The smell and taste of both of these items has been lovely, but the texture is horrible! Dry and way too dense. Is that common for all proteins, or am I using the wrong kind? I have the O.N. Gold Standard Whey in Chocolate Malt. It's delicious until I try to cook it, then I just feel like I'm trying to eat a washcloth.

I'd love to be able to enjoy these microwaved goodies, and I'm hoping someone can tell me if they are just not as good as they look, or if I am doing this hopelessly wrong.

Replies

• KittyViolet
    KittyViolet Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Bump! I'm curious about adding protein powder to my baked goods as well. I know as a baking standard that adding egg yolks to a recipe will moisten it if it comes out dry... Don't know if that will apply to protein powder though.
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I bake with it a lot and the key for me is to slightly undercook so it is still a little gooey, then it comes out delicious. I usually use whey, but rice protein like SunWarrior bakes really well also. Good luck!
  • cjh022
    cjh022 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    No idea if this is helpful as I've never baked with protein powder but when I bake brownies and cupcakes, I use a can of diet soda (i know not the greatest) instead of the normal eggs, oil, etc which makes them turn out super moist no matter the extra baking time. Maybe this would balance out the dryness??? Or I could just be crazy, I am not much of a cook/ baker when it comes to do-it-yourself stuff, diet soda is as experimental as I get! :laugh:
  • AdrieneJ
    AdrieneJ Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I bake with it a lot and the key for me is to slightly undercook so it is still a little gooey, then it comes out delicious. I usually use whey, but rice protein like SunWarrior bakes really well also. Good luck!

Interesting idea! I must try this!
  • boilerbabe69
    Options
    I use Nestle's beneprotein. I started from using it in a medical kitchen that I worked in. It was harder to find than I thought but I love it. It is a whey protein but is flavorless the scoop is only 1.5 TBSP with 25 calories. Good luck.
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    bump