can you net under bmr using tdee?

Options
I'm wondering if it is okay to have your net calories be less than your bmr using the tdee-20% method? My tdee-20% is about 1900. My BMR is 1500. Today I swam for an hour and a half, and burned well more than 400 calories. I'd like to keep my calories for the day at 1900, but that means my net is less than 1500. Is that okay? I'm sure it's okay on a occasional basis, but I also tend to work out for at least 1.5 to 2 hours a day, and so usually burn more than 400 calories, meaning I'll be below BMR on a fairly regular basis. Do I need to readjust something?

Replies

• fausonk
    Options
    bump. Could really use help with this.
  • LoganAnthony6
    Options
    Bump, because i've been wondering this too, even though I think we should be at least netting BMR.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I don't use this method, but the way I understand it is you need to eat back AT LEAST enough calories to NET NO LESS THAN your BMR.
  • JamesChargerWolf
    JamesChargerWolf Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I just had the same question! SideSteel and Sarauk2sf handled it nicely:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/896831-falling-below-bmr-after-exercise
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand the way you laid out your plan, because if you really exercise that much, you should be eating well in excess of your BMR. Your TDEE varies from day to day, you know. Just setting your calorie goal to 1900 is not going to get you to TDEE - 20% every day. I might be missing something from your explanation though.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    If you work out 2 hours per day, you probably need to refigure your TDEE. It probably shouldn't be that close to your BMR. Additionally, the TDEE method tells you to eat the same every day regardless of exercise, and it expects you to rest at some point. So the calories should even out over time. It is ok to eat below your BMR every once in a while, particularly if you have a lot to lose.

What level of exercise did you use to get your TDEE?
  • Charz612
    Charz612 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Ok,
    I'm not an expert by any means but this is my understanding.

Your BMR is the amount of calories your body needs to survive and for your brain and organs to function properly if you are completely inactive (for example if you were in a coma.)

You should NEVER net below your BMR, it's hard I know because sometimes it's hard to eat all the exercise calories back. BUT, if you are eating below your BMR you are not giving your body (organs, brain etc.) the energy it needs to functioning as well as it could and to burn fat!! Some people also say that this is when your body starts using muscle instead of fat, but I'm not convinced about that bit.

That's just my take on things. I would also love to hear other people's opinions too.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS eat enough so that you net at LEAST your bmr

This video explains it very well ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYi9xjIRvbY&list=PL09917F53B3B517FF&index=1
  • fausonk
    Options
    1900-2000 is my TDEE-20%. I put myself as Moderately Active, which for my height, weight, age, body fat, gave me maintenance of 2479. So maybe 2000 is technically closer, but with 50 pounds to lose, I rounded the other way. My BMR is 1500. But that means if I do more than 400-500 calories of exercise a day, I'll end up below my BMR in net calories. I didn't choose Very Active (with maintenance of 2700 calories) because it said "hard exercise/sport" for 6-7 days a week. I don't know if what I do is "Hard exercise" as I lift 3 days, and do cardio every day, but usually keep my HR in the fat burn or aerobic zones. I do a couple days of short amounts of HIIT, but it's only maybe an hour or an hour and a half a week, so figured "hard exercise" was a bit of a stretch so stayed with Moderately Active. But I burn more than 400-500 calories every day.

I'm only a couple weeks in at eating this many calories. My body is still not used to it, I think, and I haven't lost anything in the last two weeks. Hoping that this third week turns it around, but want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    TDEE changes daily. If your TDEE on no exercise days is 1700 and you burn 500 calories with exercise, then your TDEE for THAT day is 2200. So, you should eat roughly 2200-20% for that day.
  • fausonk
    Options
    I followed the Road Map, and understand that TDEE-20% is what you should eat every day, regardless of whether you exercise or not, it is an average assuming. However, I'm finding my TDEE-20 is routinely netting me less than my BMR. Should I up to the next higher level of activity? I don't have rest days (I'm in a challenge that will last the next few weeks, and you get points for activity, so I get in my activity 7 days a week), so perhaps that's why I'm always above BMR, because I don't have rest days that bring my average down?
  • professorRAT
    Options
    I followed the Road Map, and understand that TDEE-20% is what you should eat every day, regardless of whether you exercise or not, it is an average assuming. However, I'm finding my TDEE-20 is routinely netting me less than my BMR. Should I up to the next higher level of activity? I don't have rest days (I'm in a challenge that will last the next few weeks, and you get points for activity, so I get in my activity 7 days a week), so perhaps that's why I'm always above BMR, because I don't have rest days that bring my average down?

Maybe set your activity to light and when you log your exercise you will see what your TDEE is for each day. It seems to me you should be adjusting your TDEE as you exercise more. Although, if you prefer just to hit an average for the week, then it is probably not a big deal to go below time to time. If it is happening often then I would say your TDEE average estimate is too low.
  • professorRAT
    Options

^read that.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options

Thanks for the link. It answered some of my questions :).
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    1900-2000 is my TDEE-20%. I put myself as Moderately Active, which for my height, weight, age, body fat, gave me maintenance of 2479. So maybe 2000 is technically closer, but with 50 pounds to lose, I rounded the other way. My BMR is 1500. But that means if I do more than 400-500 calories of exercise a day, I'll end up below my BMR in net calories. I didn't choose Very Active (with maintenance of 2700 calories) because it said "hard exercise/sport" for 6-7 days a week. I don't know if what I do is "Hard exercise" as I lift 3 days, and do cardio every day, but usually keep my HR in the fat burn or aerobic zones. I do a couple days of short amounts of HIIT, but it's only maybe an hour or an hour and a half a week, so figured "hard exercise" was a bit of a stretch so stayed with Moderately Active. But I burn more than 400-500 calories every day.

I'm only a couple weeks in at eating this many calories. My body is still not used to it, I think, and I haven't lost anything in the last two weeks. Hoping that this third week turns it around, but want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.
    Really depends on the calculator. I workout just 5 days a week, but I walk every day and I have a BodyMedia Fit link, so I know my avg TDEE is about 2250, which is somewhere between very active and extremely active (on sites that have both options). You have to find what works for you, and 2 weeks might not be enough time, but I'd eat a little more if I were you. I'm 48 and last year lost about a pound a week eating 500 below my TDEE (which was 200+ above my BMR). I'm also short and didn't start out very big, but had no problem losing at least .8 lbs. per week using that method.

If in another couple of weeks you still aren't losing, add 100-150 calories per day for a month and see what happens. And please rest when you can, even if it's just a much slower walk.