Anti Anxiety Meds & weight loss

Options
1235»

Replies

• joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    What about acupuncture, message, infra red sauna..... Again natural cures with no side effects. Safe with any medications. I personally have never heard my doctor say, no ginger root in your tea or dandy lion root in your salad while taking this medication which again are examples of natural cures. And even if by small chance there was a reaction I highly doubt it would be deadly however if you were really worried you can always ask your doctor
  • willtrainforchocolate
    Options
    I've been on most prescribed meds for generalised anxiety disorder and panic disorder. In the end each stopped working effectively.

A few weeks ago I wanted to change to 5-HTP. I went to the doctor and basically told him what I was going to do, rather than ask him to advise again. Since then 5-HTP has made a big difference to me. I'm only on 50mg daily.

I've lost nearly a stone this year through effective calorie counting and working out.
  • PapillonKisses
    Options
    I'll give you an example: St. John's Wort. Naturally occurring herb found readily in supermarkets and over the counter in chemists. Combine this with an anti-depressant and you're fast tracking yourself to Seratonin (Steven-Johnson) Syndrome which carries a high mortality rate. The same can happen when combining anti-depressants with 5-HTP. Another example: combine certain foods with a MAOI inhibitor and you'll end up in a hypotensive crisis, which is again a very serious and deadly condition.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a healthy diet and exercise, especially as an initial step. I have severe, treatment-resistant depression and I throw everything I can at my condition: healthy diet; approved, evidence-based supplements vetted by my psychiatrist (in my case, omega 3 fish oil, vitamin D and prescription melatonin); rigorous high-intensity cardiovascular exercise when I can, gentle walks when I can't; early morning sunshine; healthy sleep routine; psychotherapy; relaxation techniques; scheduling formerly pleasurable activities; my medication... Yadda yadda. But people need to be just as careful with herbs and other supplements in particular, just as they would with traditional medication. Even WITHOUT combining them with traditional anti-depressants, herbs/supplements such as St. John's Wort and 5-HTP carry side effects which should be discussed with your doctor. 5-HTP is contraindicated for people with liver disease or who are pregnant or nursing, and in high doses it can cause a rare but potentially fatal condition called Eosinophilic Myalgia Syndrome. St. John's Wort can worsen suicidal thoughts and cause Steven-Johnson and has much the same side effect profile as SSRIs.

I'm not saying not to consider them, just to talk to your doctor first and don't think they are necessarily any 'better' for you than traditional anti-depressants. A cost-benefit assessment needs to be done with both. :)
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    St. John's Wort can also keep your birth control pills from working. Just a thought,
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I'll give you an example: St. John's Wort. Naturally occurring herb found readily in supermarkets and over the counter in chemists. Combine this with an anti-depressant and you're fast tracking yourself to Seratonin (Steven-Johnson) Syndrome which carries a high mortality rate. The same can happen when combining anti-depressants with 5-HTP. Another example: combine certain foods with a MAOI inhibitor and you'll end up in a hypotensive crisis, which is again a very serious and deadly condition.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a healthy diet and exercise, especially as an initial step. I have severe, treatment-resistant depression and I throw everything I can at my condition: healthy diet; approved, evidence-based supplements vetted by my psychiatrist (in my case, omega 3 fish oil, vitamin D and prescription melatonin); rigorous high-intensity cardiovascular exercise when I can, gentle walks when I can't; early morning sunshine; healthy sleep routine; psychotherapy; relaxation techniques; scheduling formerly pleasurable activities; my medication... Yadda yadda. But people need to be just as careful with herbs and other supplements in particular, just as they would with traditional medication. Even WITHOUT combining them with traditional anti-depressants, herbs/supplements such as St. John's Wort and 5-HTP carry side effects which should be discussed with your doctor. 5-HTP is contraindicated for people with liver disease or who are pregnant or nursing, and in high doses it can cause a rare but potentially fatal condition called Eosinophilic Myalgia Syndrome. St. John's Wort can worsen suicidal thoughts and cause Steven-Johnson and has much the same side effect profile as SSRIs.

I'm not saying not to consider them, just to talk to your doctor first and don't think they are necessarily any 'better' for you than traditional anti-depressants. A cost-benefit assessment needs to be done with both. :)

Good call with the St. John's wart but you have to admit its a rare exception.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I take Klonopin when needed and its weight neutral in most cases..best of luck
  • terracotti
    terracotti Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    When dieting:
    - Clobazam and no weight gain.
    - Saphris and I lost two kgs.
    - Abilify and Cipralex, lost 5 kgs.

When not dieting:
    - Abilify and Zoloft, gained 14 kgs.
    - on nothing, gained 4 kgs.

So yeah, they cause weight gain but if you try to control your cravings, they don't. I know because I'm craving for chocolate right now. Good luck.
  • cwhite6109
    Options
    What you're talking about needing sounds like an anti anxiety med like Xanax (alprazalam) Its intended use is for situational anxiety. If prescribed to me when my husband left the family and filed for divorce. Its not intended to every day use nor is it for depression like an SSRI (so many have mentioned those).

Talk honestly with your MD and your therapist. They should be working hand in hand to give you the best care.

Best wishes to you,