Hemp Protein -Weight loss?

Options
Hi, I'm new here and just wondered if anyone has had any success with hemp protein for weight loss?
I'm not over weight, but I would like to get rid of a little fat from my waist. I seem to be storing on that area lately :s
I've only been taking hemp protein for over a week, and have been taking 30g in the morning.
I am a vegetarian, so my protein intake can be quite low some days.

I was just wondering if anyone has had any luck with it really?

Replies

• mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    bump just for you
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Nothing in particular makes you lose weight. Nothing makes you lose fat in specific spots on your body. If consuming hemp protein helps you have a calorie deficit at the end of the day, that's all that matters.
  • christinaloves
    Options
    Thanks both :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I use a blend of pea, hemp and cranberry proteins which has all the essential amino acids. I don't use it for weight loss, though. I use it to supplement my protein since I can't have dairy, eggs, pork or red meat due to a digestive disorder. I'm on maintenance but I also lift heavy so I need to make sure I get my protein in. For weight loss, track your calories. To change your composition, firm up and lose some fat, try lifting weights. I love it. Hemp isn't a magic fat burner, but it's nutritious, so go for it if you need an extra non-animal protein source. :drinker:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Nothing in particular makes you lose weight. Nothing makes you lose fat in specific spots on your body. If consuming hemp protein helps you have a calorie deficit at the end of the day, that's all that matters.

exactly this. Don't buy in to any "if you buy and eat X, you'll automatically lose weight" sales pitches. If you're not trying to lose weight, but want to burn off that little snack pack around the middle, consider heavy lifting. It has worked wonders for getting rid of unwanted inches.
  • Charz612
    Charz612 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I looked at the Hemp Protein last weekend and we still prefer the brands you can buy in the supermarket, they have much higher protein in them, although not sure if the protein comes from plant matter or meat.

It's not just protein that makes me lose weight, you have to be under your TDEE and get your macros right. I do 40% carbs 30% fat and 30% protein, although I really struggle to get them right.

I use macadamia oil to get my fat intake up and protein drinks and bars really help with the protein, I don't have a problem eating enough carbs ever!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I eat hemp seeds on a regular basis. You have to be careful with portions because they are very nutrient dense, which bumps up the calories. But it's honestly, you could eat only hemp seeds, if you wanted, and get all your essential nutrition from it. It would be a boring diet though. Some cultures have actually subsisted with only hemp seeds for their staple diet. (that is, until the war on drugs turned a chunk of them into herion addicts, but that's a subject for a soap box talk)

ETA: IMHO, vegetarians ought to be including hemp seeds into their diet because it's an easy way to ensure you have all your essential fatty acids without worrying about the variety of other nuts and seeds you eat.
  • missemily1978
    Options
    The human body cannot absorb more than 20g of protein at a time, if your product has more than that I would also imagine that there is a TON of filler in there to help you go to the bathroom. That much protein can really constipate you.

I use Pr1me, which has 90+ nutrients -
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The human body cannot absorb more than 20g of protein at a time, if your product has more than that I would also imagine that there is a TON of filler in there to help you go to the bathroom. That much protein can really constipate you.

That's ridiculous. Where did you hear that anyway?
  • Charz612
    Charz612 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Seriously, I would be interested to know where you learned that? I'm not sure what one serve of beef steak is but, I think it's about 100g or more and 100g of steak has 22g of protein, plus whatever you eat with it. My diet, is not perfect but I often consume more than 20g of protein in a meal and I'm never constipated!!
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options

tumblr_m6cummhF9k1qdgj33.png
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

LOL.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    The human body cannot absorb more than 20g of protein at a time, if your product has more than that I would also imagine that there is a TON of filler in there to help you go to the bathroom. That much protein can really constipate you...
    I doubt you can provide a peer-reviewed study to back that up - but I can provide an article which discusses several peer-reviewed studies saying your information is incorrect:

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/
  • desvivo
    Options
    Hello all,
    I just purchased hemp powder because I have thyroid issues and being told to stay away from soy powder. I really need to lose weight and want to know if anyone out there has had success with weight loss and what yu are doing..