snacks under 50 calories!

Options
2»

Replies

• DonnaBee2013
    Options
    Oh my word -- cream and sugar in coffee?! I understand this is the traditional way of taking coffee, but I don't know how you do it! And DonnaBee -- Splenda is even worse, I agree!! :)

I couldn't survive without coffee, but I find adding a teaspoon or two of liquid creamer in a 20oz. coffee adds a LOT of flavor for ~15kcals (and that's the full fat creamers!!) I know that creamer is very impure and god knows what they make it with so it keeps so long, but it is SO much better than Splenda in coffee. :) Also, have you tried flavored coffee? I mean, buying hazelnut or french vanilla, raspberry, chocolate--flavored coffee, and just drinking it black? THAT'S how I prefer it. :D

As for low-cal snacks, you can eat a couple handfuls of carrots for 50 calories, or a small apple--actually, a lot of vegetables are low cal, and the best part is, they a) reinforce your healthy mentality so you might not FEEL like going for a chocolate bar afterwards, and b) you know that you're really hungry if you'll eat some veggies. :D I mean, I'm a veggies lover, but I have this habit of being like "I want pizza, toast, chocolate, etc. etc. etc." and I think, "... If you walk into that kitchen, it's going to be for a vegetable." And my "hunger" just disintegrates. ;)

But yeah, fruits and vegetables and black coffee is where it's at, for the absolute minimum calorie hit! :)

I didn't say Splenda was worse than sugar. I said it was crap. lol

I need to watch my sugar intake (doctor's orders), so in my case sugar is MUCH worse in my coffee right now than Splenda.

Once I hit my goal, I will probably kick the Splenda to the curb and maybe try sweetening with honey or something more natural than white sugar, but for now it does the job I need it to. As for flavoured coffees, you would love it here! I have a Keurig and about 40 flavours of coffees, cappucinos, hot chocolates, ciders, iced drinks, etc :)
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Those honestly sound like the saddest, grossest snacks.

Vegetables (carrots, cucumber, celery, bell pepper, grape tomatoes, etc) with 1 T hummus
    1 T chocolate chips
    1 cup strawberries
    Bowl of mixed berries (1/4-1/3 cup each)
    A peach, plum, apricot or clementine
    Half a grapefruit broiled with brown sugar
    1/2 cup grapes
    1/3-1/2 cup edamame (unshelled)
    Celery with 1/2 TBSP of peanut butter
    2-3 egg whites
    1.5 oz tuna fish
    1-2 cups of airpopped popcorn

There are so many tastier things you can eat than raw mushrooms in soy sauce. Just thinking about that makes me sad.

All of this.

If you enjoyed the raw spinach, you might enjoy raw kale. Buy it already cleaned and chopped at Trader Joe's; it is crunchier than spinach (more like chips!) but also has a stronger flavor. Try it.

Baked tofu
    Warm almond milk with a 1tsp sugar or maple syrup
    herbal tea (if you just want something to do with your hands/mouth)
    Cucumbers
    Pickles (if you're not worried about sodium)
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Look at my pictures, does my physiqueI look unhealthy? LOL! Seriously though, it's not dangerous to skip meals, so long as your total calorie intake remains the same. Right now I am on ~3600 calories per day. I wake up at 8am and go to bed at midnight. That means I have 16 hours to eat. Whether I constantly eat 3600/16= 225 calories every single hour of the day or eat one big 3600-calorie meal will not affect my weight gain!

Well, to be fair, you're (presumably) at your goal weight and are in shape. Many people on this site are overweight, overcoming binge eating or just aren't at their goal, so skipping meals or fasting may not be the best option. I'm an advocate of 5 smaller meals spaced 3-5 hours apart, which is what helped me lose all of my weight. If I fasted most of the day I probably would have ended up binging.
  • DonnaBee2013
    Options
    Look at my pictures, does my physiqueI look unhealthy? LOL! Seriously though, it's not dangerous to skip meals, so long as your total calorie intake remains the same. Right now I am on ~3600 calories per day. I wake up at 8am and go to bed at midnight. That means I have 16 hours to eat. Whether I constantly eat 3600/16= 225 calories every single hour of the day or eat one big 3600-calorie meal will not affect my weight gain!

If I did that, the sugar/insulin spikes would probably kill me. Although this may work great for you, it's not great advice for everyone. Some of us are out of shape old farts trying to get healthy, before our crappy eating habits kill us LOL
  • michael200042
    Options
    Negative calorie foods don't exist; it's a myth. Also, you need some fat to properly absorb nutrients in vegetables/salad, so noshing on raw greens isn't the best option. That's partially why salad dressing exists.

Okay, their effect on your diet is negligible. Their caloric content is so low that you likely burn them off just by placing them in your mouth and chewing them. If you want to be perfectly and scientifically precise, then the only negative calorie substance you can consume is water. No need to split hairs.

You're right - dietary fat is necessary for nutrient absorption, the same way carbohydrates are necessary for protein absorption. However, it (fat) is not necessary in each meal for that. I think it's safe to assume OP has succifient fat in their diet.
  • mommyjos
    mommyjos Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • ShmareParks
    ShmareParks Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    WOW! So many responses, and so fast! Thanks to each and every one of you. Some great feedback here. The post on "negative-calorie foods" inspired me to do some Googling and I found this list. Of course, they're not technically zero-calorie, but they're going on my go-to snack list for sure! I've never started a thread before, and I'm amazed at how helpful everyone is! Thanks so much!

cucumbers
    citrus fruit
    celery
    apples
    kelp
    asparagus
    apricots
    watermelon
    tomatoes
    broccoli
    cauliflower
    strawberries
    leafy greens
    red chili peppers
    mushrooms
    red bell pepper
    all squashes
    turnip
    air-popped popcorn
    green tea
    herbal tea
    black coffee
  • Chriztii
    Options
    Air popped corn, sprayed with vinegar! Sooo good and perfect for the movie time :)
  • whenthepawn
    Options
    ohh this is a good thread I'm usually looking for something to snack on of an evening but not many calories left. Love the idea of rice cakes and vinegar :-)
  • rachelabdy
    rachelabdy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I like various sugary cereals, measure out a portion to match the cals and eat them dry :)
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Tonight, I discovered raw mushrooms dipped in soy sauce (About 20 calories' worth filled me up!)
    Last night, I ate raw spinach with paprika (lots of bulk for your buck, there).
    Sometimes I drink instant chicory drinks, black, which are only about 10 or 20 cals.
    And of course there's always diet pop or herbal tea.
    Sounds awful
  • Juleeroch
    Juleeroch Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I like various sugary cereals, measure out a portion to match the cals and eat them dry :)

Good idea - exactly what I do - I find the little Variety boxes and similar boxes with Nestle are good for this - more choice.

Does anyone in the UK have any other ideas ???
    x
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and at the moment I'm having an occasional Malteaster mini bunny for 61 calories each! Not quite under 50, but it's such a treat and keeps me off the cream eggs.

Petit filou fromage frais (about 50 calories each).

Tangerine/clementine/satsuma - about 35 - 50 calories.

Various "light" hot chocolate instant drinks - about 40 calories.

Dry fried tinned mushrooms - about 20 calories a tin.

Small portions of just about anything!

Ryvita "Bakes" - about 20 calories each, so you can add a smear of peanut butter, cheese, meat, etc. and still be under 50.

Olives

Sliced meat - depends on the size of the slices, but from about 5 calories per slice.

Pickles, e.g. gherkins. I have some from Aldi which are a collection of hot pickles on a stick at 6 calories per stick.
  • NiecyB12
    NiecyB12 Posts: 1
    Options
    This post is super old, but I'm allotted 1200 calories too. I've been snacking on strawberries (1 cup) & watermelon or cantaloupe (1 cup). I also found this list of snacks under 50 calories that I'm going to try out ---> http://www.bhg.com/recipes/healthy/snacks/20-sweet-snacks-for-50-calories-or-less/#page=1
  • endlesswonderr
    endlesswonderr Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    my favourites are plain popcorn, or a baked apple (which is usually 50-100 calories, but delicious nonetheless)
  • bobbinseed
    bobbinseed Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Celery and hummus, filling and delicious!:happy:
  • bobbinseed
    bobbinseed Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    or how about watermelon sweet and extremely filling!