New here- can someone please explain the abbreviations

Options
I know BMI is body mass index- what are the other abbreviations and what do they mean for me? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• shelbysp8
    shelbysp8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Seems like there is a forum board that explains alot of them. Not sure where though.

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure
    NSV=Non Scale Victory

Those are 2 that I know! Sorry I can't be more help. :frown:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Here are a few of the more commonly used ones:

BMR: Basal Metabolic Rate. The amount of calories your body would require to maintain basic bodily functions if you were in a coma.

TDEE: Total Daily Energy Expenditure. The amount of calories you expend by existing (see BMR), daily activities, eating, exercising, etc. This is the level at which you will maintain your current weight; below it you will lose, above it you will gain.

TEF: Thermic Effect of Feeding (Food). The calories your body will expend digesting/processing food (yes, you do expend calories to process the calories you take in).

NEAT: Non-exercise Activity Thermogenesis. The calories you burn doing things other than exercise; shopping, taking care of the kids, driving, working on the computer, etc.

EAT: Exercise Activity Thermogenesis. The calories you expend while exercising.

LBM: Lean Body Mass. Everything in your body that isn't fat: muscle, connective tissue, organs, water, food, etc.

BF or BF%: Body fat percentage.

Macros: Macronutrients. Protein, Fat and Carbohydrates (and technically Alcohol, which is in a category of its own).

NSV: Non-scale victory. A triumph not related purely to scale weight - fitting into smaller size clothes, a compliment somebody gave you about your weight loss, being able to do a push-up when you couldn't before, improved blood test results from your health/fitness efforts, etc.

NROLFW, NROL4W: New Rules of Lifting for Women. A popular strength training program.

VLCD: Very Low Calorie Diet. Creating an unnecessarily large caloric deficit, usually involving the intake of less than 1000-1200 calories per day.

HRM: Heart Rate Monitor. A device usually consisting of a chest band and a watch, which measures your heart rate while exercising and (theoretically) tells you how many calories you've burned. (I say theoretically because it doesn't actually measure calories burned - it uses an algorithm based upon user statistics and heart rate to predict how many calories you burned)

30DS - 30-day Shred. A popular video workout.

C25K - Couch to 5K. A popular beginning runner's program designed to move you from being sedentary to being capable of running a 5K event.

HIIT: High-Intensity Interval Training. A training program involving short periods of maximal effort interspersed with rest periods in between.

LISS: Low-Intensity Steady State. Cardio exercise done for longer durations at lower levels of intensity (treadmill, stairclimber, walking, etc.)
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Was gonna post some but AnvilHead seems to have it covered...lol

Where was he when I started? It took me almost 6 months to figure out NSV didn't stand for "No Small Victory" lol
  • spiritedsaviour
    spiritedsaviour Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    IPOARM - In Place of a Road Map
    A very good and coherent explanation of TDEE and BMR that was written by HelloItsDan that a lot of people refer to.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    What about the most important one?

YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary.
  • chesves
    chesves Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! I've got lots of reading to do today!!!
  • jtmurph7
    jtmurph7 Posts: 83
    Options
    bump.. I need this...:wink: