Canned Soups

Options
I am a fan of Campbell's Chunky, and Progresso broth based soups. What I'm not a fan of is the sodium / or limiting myself to the low sodium versions. I have talked to nutritionists at both companies and no-one can answer my question which is:

If you separate the liquids from the solids, and only eat the solids, what is the effect on the sodium content of your meal?

Comments?

Replies

• caribear1984
    Options
    I would imagine that draining the liquid would reduce the sodium, but I don't know how you would even go about figuring out how much. Do you have issues with sodium? Maybe you could try it and see if it makes a difference in the way you feel.
  • SOCKMONKEYBOBO
    SOCKMONKEYBOBO Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I will often consume the entire can, and the sodium hit throws off my personal goals. I don't have a sodium problem but common sense would say that anything over normal consumption can't be good.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I really think it would be difficult to quantify something like that ... however I do believe that if you were to not drink any of the broth it would cut the sodium SIGNIFICANTLY. To ballpark it I would say that if you drank only 1/2 of the broth and got rid of the rest, but still ate the noodles, veggies, chicken, etc... You could probably knock off 40% of the sodium content. Thats just my rough guess.