Sick... to excersize or not?

This morning I woke up with a tickle in my throat, now it's bedtime and I am starting to get the runny nose. I'm getting a cold. I can't avoid this no matter how much vit c I inhale.

So I like going to the gym and hitting the treadmill to wake me up but I'm not going to spread my sick to other people if I don't have to so that's out.

But I got a Zumba video game lately that I'm into and my thought is... will doing my usual routines and getting my exercise help or hinder me? Any thoughts, fellow MFPers?

Replies

• Chanti1620
    Chanti1620 Posts: 92 Member
    I'm sick as well, i woke up and started sneezing, and it has been a down hill battle ever since.
    I personally did not work out today, i have zumba for the wii, but i'm bored of it.

Just rest up and eat well, hopefully you will be fully recovered in no time
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    On day one-- and even two-- when I'm sick, I take that as a sign from my body that it needs me to do something DIFFERENT than I'm doing. . . like just go to bed already.

When I start to feel bored and antsy, then I know I'm not that sick any more, and it's time to get the *kitten* back in gear.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Well if it was me...I'd still be working out. Unless I'm dead.... then there is no reason to stop. A cold is just a cold, the more you focus on it the more you will become 'sick'. I've worked out with food poisoning.
  • The recommendations I've heard are:

If symptoms are "above the neck" (sniffles, runny nose or eyes, stuffed up nose) - work out, but adjust pace and intensity.
    If symptoms are "below the neck" (coughing, upset stomach, diarrhea) - cancel the workout.
    Fever > 101 - cancel the workout.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    General rule is if the illness is above the neck, you are good to workout. If it is below the neck, rest and recuperate.
  • Nikky43
    Nikky43 Posts: 34 Member
    I've been sick for about a week; today was really bad too light headed.. I did work out yesterday but almost passed out by the end.. Sometimes our bodies need rest!! Listen to yours and do what's best!! I'm getting some much needed rest.. Feel better!!
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    The recommendations I've heard are:

If symptoms are "above the neck" (sniffles, runny nose or eyes, stuffed up nose) - work out, but adjust pace and intensity.
    If symptoms are "below the neck" (coughing, upset stomach, diarrhea) - cancel the workout.
    Fever > 101 - cancel the workout.

Ditto
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    If you don't have a fever then go to the gym and run if that is what you want to do. I workout when I have symptoms similar to what you describe and I seem to feel better faster than anyone else in the family that has the same thing. If you don't have a fever, your airways are clear, and if you feel up to it then get to the gym.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Well if it was me...I'd still be working out. Unless I'm dead.... then there is no reason to stop. A cold is just a cold, the more you focus on it the more you will become 'sick'. I've worked out with food poisoning.

Working out with food poisoning is just foolish, in my opinion.
    Yo would already be risking dehydration then adding in exercise on top ? Where is the common sense in that ?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member

Working out with food poisoning is just foolish, in my opinion.
    Yo would already be risking dehydration then adding in exercise on top ? Where is the common sense in that ?

Thats what water is for isnt it? I was sick for a whole week, sorry but IMO that's no reason to slack off. Plenty of water & things pass.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,159 Member
    Yrs, i continue to work out and to go to work when i am sick....the only time i don't is when i am " losing my lunch" ( tossing my cookies).....( calling earl), ok, u get the picture????????????
  • Thank you guys!
    I gave it a shot but I was too congested and breathing is one of those things I like to do, so I ended up stopping. Alas.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Above the neck and not flu? Train as long as you aren't streaming with snot and coughing everywhere.

Below? Stay home and rest. No need to pass stomach bugs on.