Decreasing number of calories burned

Options
paulkj
paulkj Posts: 163 Member
My body has been quickly adapting to any and all exercises. I am glad that I have a heart rate monitor because the same exercise that I did last month and burned 370 calories I am now only burning 240. Even at the gym, I run faster and harder on the treadmill, including doing inclines of different ranges and still my calorie burn is lower.

What can I do to ensure that I burn the maximum amount of calories per workout without having to extend my hour long workouts? I have already increased the amount of weights I use. And I would also like to know that since I am not burning as many calories as before, do I need to reduce my caloric intake?

Replies

• HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I'm unclear on this too... we're becoming more fit so we can do more "work" you would think we would then burn more calories...
  • mlv333
    mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you continue to do the same workout you have to decrease the caloric intake. Instead of doing that, my advice is to switch it up. I used to jog 4 times a week only. Now I'm doing mon-step, tue-cycling, wed-a weight strength/cardio class, thur-slow jog, fri- swim,sat- long run, sun-rest. Can you tell I like cardio?? :) It's like a full time job, so I'm not suggesting you do the same; but absolutely try something new to keep your body guessing. Homeostasis is an amazing thing.
  • paulkj
    Options
    Yes, if you continue to do the same workout you have to decrease the caloric intake. Instead of doing that, my advice is to switch it up. I used to jog 4 times a week only. Now I'm doing mon-step, tue-cycling, wed-a weight strength/cardio class, thur-slow jog, fri- swim,sat- long run, sun-rest. Can you tell I like cardio?? :) It's like a full time job, so I'm not suggesting you do the same; but absolutely try something new to keep your body guessing. Homeostasis is an amazing thing.

I have switched it up. I do running on Saturdays (now with the elliptical following) I do weight training on Tuesdays and Fridays, Sunday I do yoga or pilates and Monday and thursdays Aerobics. All of these workouts are for an hour and I just don't have the time in my schedule to do more than that.
  • mlv333
    mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing exactly what you need to be doing to get the best of your workout. In that case, it sounds like your muscles are much stronger; and where you're workout is working less for you, your basal metabolic rate is much higher which is great b/c you wouldn't need to eat less. BUT it's very hard to figure out if true. Sorry. That's all I've got.
  • paulkj
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing exactly what you need to be doing to get the best of your workout. In that case, it sounds like your muscles are much stronger; and where you're workout is working less for you, your basal metabolic rate is much higher which is great b/c you wouldn't need to eat less. BUT it's very hard to figure out if true. Sorry. That's all I've got.

That information does help. I never thought of the amount of muscle I have been gaining will increase my BMR.