Is Calistenics the way to strength train without the gym?

Options
So I have a combination of lack of funds to afford a gym/weight equipment, and total and utter(ridiculous) fear of the the gym. Even though thought of going to the gym to sign up makes me super anxious. We won't get in to how totally and utterly irrational I am, I have severe social anxiety, and even going to work and class and interacting with anyone is a huge issue for me. I know. I have problems...

So now for the part that actually matters here. I have been reading recently about how strength training is so important, and seeing all the posts of people upset about where they are at after doing pretty much exactly what I am doing now(having lost lean muscle with the fat). I am eating 20% under my TDEE (1500), and trying to burn another 500 calories a day (at least on week days) by doing Couch to 5K running MWF, Incline walking TTH, and doing 45 minutes of yoga every day (even weekends.) So basically, it's all cardio and stretching. I want to start some sort of strength training, and got a set of 5lb hand weights for my birthday last week, but I have no idea what to do with them, or how to incorporate some strength training at home without buying a bunch of stuff. I may have access to some resistance bands, but wouldn't know what to do with those either.
Not sure if it makes a difference, but I am 26 years old, 5'7", and 202lbs.

I should add, that I cannot do a pushup. even on my knees. I have so very little arm strength.... And due to a knee injury I had as a teen, I have to be fairly careful about squats and the like.
So... advice? I am new to this whole fitness thing and really could use some help.
Thanks guys.
:)

Replies

• AmyJeanMarie84
    AmyJeanMarie84 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Push ups, sit ups, crunchs, flutter kicks, jumping jacks, burpees, mountain clombers kettle bell exercises. And if you are wanting to add weights. A set of adjustable weights, is great you can add, or subtract depending on your level. Upper body strength and muscle is easy to gain if you do it consistently. I could barely do a knee push-up when I started a month ago with a personal trainer. But a month of elevated, knee, chair dips, and squats with weights had helped immensely. You just have to do them in circuits. Consistently adding more and more reps to your sets. Also grab an aerobic stepper. And start out your cardio days using that. Not liking gyms isn't weird I hate the fishbowl atmosphere soi use a private session, but you can get everything you need and put together a nice little home gym routine. Message me if you wanna know more about the stuff I do weekly. I never do the same circuit twice.