Whats the hate for Beachbody about?

Options

Replies

• VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    a) It's a MLM or multi-level-marketing company. I'm not a big fan of those.
    b) Their products are over-priced.
    c) Shakeology claims to be based on research, but it does not include the amounts of the "superfoods" that the research indicated had an effect.

That said, don't listen to some schmuck on the internet (me) - do what works for you.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I think most of the points have been covered....

#1. A Beachbody coach is a salesperson trying to 'build a business'.
    #2. The workouts are not bad at all.
    #3. It's the nutrition that brings the results not the specific workout.

Just realize that you'll hear the line 'My results when I started ???? supplement. It's available in my online store".

Nothing against the BB coaches at all, but they do seem to see MFP as a recruiting center at times.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    To generalize Beach Body products and coaches is unfair I think.
    There are some who are narrow minded and push the products w/o real regard or care for the people they are pushing it towards. However, there are some who have genuinely changed their lives physically, mentally, emotionally and yes financially. They genuinely care about the people they are coaching and yes omg they're making money doing something they love. Is that so wrong? I have a beach body coach's page on my Facebook. She's a very sweet woman and far from pushy.

Beach Body products have been around for 15yrs....I think that says a lot about the successfulness of them.
    I have Insanity and I love it so far. Personally I am not one to go to a gym, I'd rather work out at home. I find their DVDs more effective than when I was using my treadmill for the same amount of time 6 days a week. $11 a DVD isn't overpriced to me and it was worth it. I've had great results after 1 month of Insanity. Also their protein shakes are great. I have problems with my stomach and its improved big time since using theirs. I was also spending more per week on my protein powder/shakes that I made myself and it wasn't nearly as good, I feel way better on theirs. To each their own I guess.

I've witnessed this with friends who have purchased shakeology and followed a routine with that & the workouts
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Also....it didn't start out at a MLM business...
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Beach Body products have been around for 15yrs....I think that says a lot about the successfulness of them.

By that token everyone should be doing atlas stone work. People lifting rocks has been a thing for thousands of years and it still makes you strong as hell.
    There are some who are narrow minded and push the products w/o real regard or care for the people they are pushing it towards. However, there are some who have genuinely changed their lives physically, mentally, emotionally and yes financially. They genuinely care about the people they are coaching and yes omg they're making money doing something they love. Is that so wrong?

Nothing wrong with that, but I equally don't think it's wrong to tell people to be wary of 'marketing' claims and to exhibit a healthy amount of criticism when trying something new out.
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Its good to know there is nothing wrong with the company. It seems to me that it's a bit set up like a pyramid scheme, though not exactly. The coaches take a cut of the sales made through them, and by them, they recruit other people who may also become coaches etc.
    I've known a coach on Facebook who was really nice and not pushy, but she did really push for the Shakeology which we don't get here anyway, but I found her posts to be motivational and helpful.

I think the DVDs are helpful, as they seem to serve as a gateway to more exercises (if of course, someone can stay the course), and I don't think they're TOO over-priced, but I definitely wouldn't have been able to afford them had they not been given to me.
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    I don't have any problems with someone who is passionate about health, nutrition and fitness wanting to help others. I don't have a problem with that same person utilizing a business model to achieve that goal.

The ONLY time I have an issue is when they start focusing more on the sale than their original passion.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    money and sales
    yuck
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

By that token everyone should be doing atlas stone work. People lifting rocks has been a thing for thousands of years and it still makes you strong as hell.

This. I do find it funny though, that every time I recommend stone lifting to someone looking to get in shape with very minimal cost, it gets all but ignored in favor of someone recommending some random workout DVD.

Hmm...stone lifting needs better marketing and a supplement line, I suppose.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    $139.80 for p90x would leave me short on ~14 large pizzas from Papa Johns, and I like pizza.
  • jack3Dav3
    jack3Dav3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I like the beachbody workouts that I've tried very much. Enjoyed insanity very much and the yoga portion of P90x is the only yoga I do. I'm sure the other workouts are fine as well. That said, I'd bet people here think I am a BB hater from some of my posts.

I like the workouts and they definitely have their place. My problem stems from when people act like BB (or Jillian) workouts are the only options. So many threads get started where the OP asks what they should do next and then name 2-3 BB or JM DVDs as if that's the entire world of fitness. Some days I look at the forums and wonder how anyone got I shape before fitness DVDs became a thing.

So I guess my official stance is that BB products are cool but let's make sure we're considering all of our options
    ^This. I have family members that move from one BB program to the next, because they have been successful using the videos. I'll use them when I'm back home and they're available, but only to supplement other workouts or fit in my schedule. Hell, my brother is IN a couple of the P90X2 videos and by virtue a BB coach as well. That being said, he never pushes or really mentions the products/supplements to me (I've never purchased any). So I could be totally BB biased based on that fact, but I'm not at all. If it works for you and you find that it's worth the money, sweet. As for me, I get more enjoyment and better results out of classic lifting in a gym. My two cents.
  • pcdoctor01
    pcdoctor01 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I'm frugal but I would say cost but then again it seems like 90% of the 60 day / 90 day programs charge $120. I do think that you should not be bombarded by coaches and such. I've never purchased a Beach Body product. I'm doing the free YouTube videos right now and hope to work my way up to Supreme 90 Day AKA The Frugal P90X. I guess Beach Body could be considered the Porsche or BMW of workout videos and the $40 or less 60 day / 90 day programs the Honda of workout videos. Even if you are on a budget and don't want to spend $99+, you can always buy the individual DVDs from Amazon, Walmart, etc. Ex. Jillian 30 Day Shred (or use from YouTube), Bob Harper, etc. There is something for everyone!

or you could just download the programs.....99%of beachbody programs are on the internet as a torrent download!! :)

I'm a computer nerd and even I'm leary about downloading from torrent websites.
  • excello1980
    Options
    I'm frugal but I would say cost but then again it seems like 90% of the 60 day / 90 day programs charge $120. I do think that you should not be bombarded by coaches and such. I've never purchased a Beach Body product. I'm doing the free YouTube videos right now and hope to work my way up to Supreme 90 Day AKA The Frugal P90X. I guess Beach Body could be considered the Porsche or BMW of workout videos and the $40 or less 60 day / 90 day programs the Honda of workout videos. Even if you are on a budget and don't want to spend $99+, you can always buy the individual DVDs from Amazon, Walmart, etc. Ex. Jillian 30 Day Shred (or use from YouTube), Bob Harper, etc. There is something for everyone!

or you could just download the programs.....99%of beachbody programs are on the internet as a torrent download!! :)

I never had problems with them, you just need to get te right ones!! :)
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

I never had problems with them, you just need to get te right ones!! :)

That's like saying its ok to sleep with hookers unprotected as long as you pick the "right" looking ones. I'm sure that works for a while, but eventually you're gonna wake up with herpes.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I run... which is free. And I lift... in my home gym... also free. So I spent some cash on some Beachbody vids for when I don't want to run or lift. I've done Insanity... I have a copy of p90x though I've never done it, and I bought Les Mills Combat, which I adore! I don't use Shakeology products... I just use my own Quest Bars and ON Gold Standard Whey protein... meh... nothing wrong with their workouts.

Like anything else in the fitness industry, do your research. Know what you're looking for. If you don't know what you want, you'll also sign up for anything that promises reasonable success.

EDIT: I bought Insanity from a guy on Craigslist... new in the box unwrapped for $70. Sold it for $70 after I used it as long as I wanted to. My copy of p90x is from a friend who got bored with it and loaned it to us indefinitely.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options

This. I do find it funny though, that every time I recommend stone lifting to someone looking to get in shape with very minimal cost, it gets all but ignored in favor of someone recommending some random workout DVD.

Hmm...stone lifting needs better marketing and a supplement line, I suppose.

That's funny... my husband used to move tonnes of gravel (finshing basements) on a daily basis. He is huge.... .like 2X jackets huge. He still does heavy labor (and, I do belive he still has to move stones on occasion). Sadly though, all those minerals do nothing for his love of fried chicken and potato chips... making him a huge guy with a gut.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Beachbody, the fitness dvd products are bar none, some of the best around. The advanced series like Chalean Extreme, Turbofire, P90X/XPlus/X2, Insanity and Asylum do work.

Team Beachbody, the MLM business with their amateur/novice coaches (people who've done the dvds before you), who have an incentive to sell you more of the fitness dvds, weight loss supplements, fitness gear, etc. is what people seem to loathe.

I seem to have had a "coach" at one point, havent heard from her in ages. Guess, I'll check how she's doing.
  • pcdoctor01
    Options
    I still don't own any BB products. I recently read about a Cathe greatest hits DVD. It would be neat to have the following greatest hits BB DVD.
    1. Low Hit 20 - TF
    2. HIIT 15 - TF
    3. Dig Deeper and Fit Test - Insanity
    4. Burn Circuit 1 - CLX
    5. Shoulders and Arms - P90X
    6. Ab Ripper 100 and 200 - Power 90
    7. Les Mills Pump Step
  • pcdoctor01
    Options
    I see BB Body Gospel is $25 plus shipping. I think at one time it was more than that.
  • pcdoctor01
    Options
    You know, I wish I would have created the BB company before they did.