Question for Brits in US/US peeps in UK

Applesauce...

is it the same thing in the US as it is in the UK? So the UK stuff I am thinking of the jar you get to have with roast pork. I have seen some recipes bouncing round these forums that use applesauce as a substitute for higher fat ingredients. I am not convinced the version of applesauce I know will work. Any ideas?

Replies

• lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    I'm glad someone asked this, I've also been wondering what applesauce is!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    I'm an applesauce lover from the US living in the UK and have not really seen applesauce in the grocery stores here in the UK. I don't know if it's the same thing here as in the US, but I make my own these days by just peeling and cutting apples, boiling them a bit, and then pureeing them. I don't add sugar, but I do add cinnamon. :smile:
  • carly_am
    carly_am Posts: 145 Member
    I've asked this same question and yes it is the same - just stewed apples.

I bought some morrisons savers applesauce (because it looked smooth an was cheap) for this purpose and it worked but tasted a bit chemically. An American on my friends list said it is literally just stewed apples so my advice would be make your own then you don't get all the added sugars etc.

But in effect yes it is the same!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    I just asked my (Brit) husband, and he says you might look somewhere like Lidl, or any other shop where they sell lots of German/Dutch products. Making your own is probably more simple, to be honest, and will certainly taste better!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    I strongly suspect the stuff that Americans talk about on the forum is sugarfree, whereas the sauce we put on pork usually has sugar added.

Stewing your own is the best bet :)
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    It's a common substitute in vegan alternatives of baked goods. Can play a similar role to eggs and add some natural sweetness. The baked goods are almost always more dense than a version made with eggs, but the applesauce helps to keep them moist...
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Thanks so much for asking this question, I've been meaning to for a while!

So when you guys are saying to make your own, do you add anything to the stewed apples? ie sugar, which is what I would add normally if I was stewing apples for pork or an apple tart.

I have seen some great recipes on here but not made them due to the apple sauce situation!!
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    I always see it in stores like tesco/asda etc, just look by the cranberry/mint sauce!! :) (from uk)
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    I am from the US living in the UK and from what I can tell they are the same thing. My friend has the jar stuff from the UK stores and it tastes just the same as the US stuff.