What works for you

Options
"Do what works for you"

"this works for me"

...are things I see on these forums a lot.

However have people over considered that if they take advice from someone who knows better, then "what works for them" could end up working out even better!

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Blasphemy!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    You mean...people actually taking the advice of other people? No! Will never work! :laugh:
  • BrownEyeAngel
    BrownEyeAngel Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    "Eating 900 calories works for me"
    "Skipping breakfast works for me"
    "Eating two big meals a day works for me"

Jeez louise!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    "Do what works for you"

"this works for me"

However have people over considered that if they take advice from someone who knows better, then "what works for them" could end up working out even better!

For the majority, what works is simply a caloric-deficit. The path to getting there is the arguable point. When I give the whole "I eat plenty of food, run, and pick up heavy things, and don't cut anything out of my diet" the typical next response is "well, you're wrong because I only lose when I eat negative amounts of carbs."

It's at that point that it just gets a lot easier to say "whatever works for you" because there is no convincing people that are set in their ways.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    You hush. I know my body. :tongue:
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I find that "do what works for you" is a polite way of saying "you're not listening so I'm not going to waste my time." I know it's not always used this way, but paying attention what people aren't saying is as an important a part of learning as is listening to what is said.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options

I think one of the challenges we have, especially here, is knowing if someone knows better or not. They may simply be able to sound more convincing than others. The anonymity doesn't help, either. It's hard to tell if someone online really has the credentials and background they claim.

Of course, there are still people who won't listen to their own doctors, even if they're face-to-face.
  • concordancia
    Options

I think one of the challenges we have, especially here, is knowing if someone knows better or not. They may simply be able to sound more convincing than others. The anonymity doesn't help, either. It's hard to tell if someone online really has the credentials and background they claim.

Of course, there are still people who won't listen to their own doctors, even if they're face-to-face.

But it would help if people learned the difference between science and mumbo jumbo!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Well, there are different body types. Some people just hold on to fat better than others.

For me, my body has an upper limit on muscle mass - at my peak, I can bench 30 pounds, maybe 35, and that's it. I've worked with a trainer, etc. and that's all I've ever been able to do. However, I can lose body fat easily once I find a way to accurately monitor my intake/expenditure that fits into my lifestyle.

As another example, Weight Watchers is sent from heaven for some people. Other people struggle with the program because it doesn't fit their needs and/or lifestyle. Still others follow the program but plateau and can't shake the weight no matter what they do. I, personally, was in group 1 initially, but ended up in group 2 after having kids.

However, I understand what you're saying. There's a lot of people who do crazy stuff because "it works for them." All you can do is think "It won't in the long run" and let them see for themselves.
  • Susay2942
    Susay2942 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Trial and Error. Listening to everything, try half, throw out the rest
  • LovinDaNewLiz14
    LovinDaNewLiz14 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    :smile: agree
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    But it would help if people learned the difference between science and mumbo jumbo!

You can't expect people to abandon their beliefs over science. I mean... even evolution is "just a theory." :tongue:
  • concordancia
    Options
    Well, there are different body types. Some people just hold on to fat better than others.

For me, my body has an upper limit on muscle mass - at my peak, I can bench 30 pounds, maybe 35, and that's it. I've worked with a trainer, etc. and that's all I've ever been able to do. However, I can lose body fat easily once I find a way to accurately monitor my intake/expenditure that fits into my lifestyle.

As another example, Weight Watchers is sent from heaven for some people. Other people struggle with the program because it doesn't fit their needs and/or lifestyle. Still others follow the program but plateau and can't shake the weight no matter what they do. I, personally, was in group 1 initially, but ended up in group 2 after having kids.

However, I understand what you're saying. There's a lot of people who do crazy stuff because "it works for them." All you can do is think "It won't in the long run" and let them see for themselves.

But this is exactly why people would be better off knowing more about their own bodies and the science behind different methods. I have the physiological makeup of people with insulin resistance/ metabolic syndrome/ prediabetes and diabetes is prevalent in my family. Sure enough, a lower carb diet works well for me. I also know it isn't necessary to go low, low carb because reduced carb diets and low carb diets have similar effects on blood chemistry and long term weight loss, but reduced carb diets have better adherence rates.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options

True, but that still doesn't really solve the issue of figuring out whether someone posting here on MFP really knows better. There are plenty of discussions here where people get to the "do what works for you" thing where all people have done is to say "you need to do X because Y" without ever referring to studies or providing links to their sources.

Even when they do refer to "experts", there can be contradictory arguments out there that are provided by others. Just yesterday, I saw an article that said people don't need to focus on muscle confusion because you can build muscle in adaptation mode, then not much later the same article said you can't build muscle doing bodyweight exercises because your body becomes adapted to the amount of weight used. I don't remember if it was here or somewhere else, but I saw someone make the point that we're challenged by the relative newness of scientific study into exercise, diet, and health.

And in some cases, especially if we're talking lifestyle, it does boil down to doing what works for an individual. I know people who swear by exercising first thing in the morning. I, personally, hate it because I stay up better than I wake up and I don't like having to rush my exercise to meet another deadline. (Just this morning, I cut my run workout in half because I didn't kow when a VIP was coming by the office.) So I do "what works for me" and rely on exercising in the evenings.
  • green022
    green022 Posts: 115
    Options
    "Do what works for you"

"this works for me"

For the majority, what works is simply a caloric-deficit. The path to getting there is the arguable point. When I give the whole "I eat plenty of food, run, and pick up heavy things, and don't cut anything out of my diet" the typical next response is "well, you're wrong because I only lose when I eat negative amounts of carbs."

It's at that point that it just gets a lot easier to say "whatever works for you" because there is no convincing people that are set in their ways.

I think this is the best way I have EVER seen this explained!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't understand. If something is working, why would one change? If something wasn't working and advice was sought, that would be different. But if advice is offered without being sought, why would you expect them to take it? In fact, if something is working for person 1 and person 2 says 'try this instead', isn't person 2 in fact just saying 'try what worked for me'?
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Your common sense does not belong here.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I found offense in the term 'someone of knows better', to me it would be better stated as 'someone with more experience'. Though experience certainly doesn't mean they know what they're talking about. All you have to be is employed to know this for a fact.

I think 'what works for you' is more about what gets you into an effective mindset because when it comes down to brass tacks all successful people in weight loss do the same thing, as has already been said, calorie deficit.

The thing is there are plenty of different ways to get that. Low carb, high carb, paleo, vegan, vegetarian, all things in moderation, etc. and any number of combinations. Some ways are healthier than others. Some ways make you fitter than others. But the final solution. Calorie deficit.

And as human beings we want to share our successes with other people. So when someone is looking for help, you'll hear a lot of "this is what worked for me" alongside "this is the only thing that will ever work properly". Which side is "better" or more "experienced"? On these forums? Neither.

So yeah, I think "What works for you" is a good response in many cases, right alongside whatever advice a person wants to offer up.