How is my husband losing more weight than me!!!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    The more muscle on a body the more effeciently the person will burn calories.
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Yep, I work out every day and count every calorie just to maintain while my husband lies on the couch and snacks all night in front of me without gaining. He is 6'5" and built, that's why. It sucks but it's life. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll see results. Stop comparing yourself to him and focus on your goals and what you've accomplished.
  • drnegro23
    Options
    Women tend to have a harder time trying to lose the weight than men. There a few factors that may be preventing you from achieving your goal weight. The first thing you need to do is finding out whats your body type (Ectomorph, Mesomorph or Endomorph) because just like your right hand is different from your left, not two bodies are equally the same. Not all calories are created equal. You need to figure out whats your TDEE ( Total Daily Energy Expenditure) also known as your maintenance level. What this does is tell you, how many calories your body burns on a daily basis and, from this you 'll set your ground into building an accurate meal plan to achieve your goals. According to to experts, the average maintenance level for women here in the U.S is between 2000 to 2100 and for men 2700 to 2900. Don't get confused by these numbers because once you know what your TDEE is the rest will be easy.
    As far as getting bigger, I believe that you are overtraining or building muscles or lacking on rest. Remember, not every body type reacts to food intake and endurance the same way.
    I hope this helps
  • MrsGenique
    Options
    [Stacybc78
    quote]
    My hubby can lose weight with out trying. I believe his metabolism is through the roof. I don't really know the answer, but seems to me men lose more quickly. Also how are your clothes fitting? I have actually put on a couple of pounds, but my clothes feel better. I'm slowly learning to not care about the scales. Good luck to you!
    [/quote]

Thank you so much for the support! I have noticed my pants fit alot better and I can put them on without doing the wiggle dance!! I'm proud of my hubby, but I guess I thought I would lose weight like he would.

Genique :)
  • MrsGenique
    Options
    I wish that I can reply to every, but that would take forever!! I want to thank everyone for your support and motivational words!!! I'm ready to get back on track, and I understand that me and my hubby are different. I'm excited, and I'm just going to continue to do what I have been. I wil not compare myself to my husband anymore..LOL!!

Thank you all so much for being kind about it!
    :):smile:
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    my uncle said he was trying to lose 10 pounds and actually lost 30 pounds - he said the women always get mad when telling this story!!!!! and this was over the holidays!

Pah!!!!

It is comments like your uncles that make me want to punch the wall :laugh:
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have been on the same journey to lose weight. We work out together, eat together and I have lose less! I'm getting frustrated at this point and really want to just forget it. Over the last couple of months I have lost 5 and my husband has lost about 25 pounds. We have tried juicing, eating only fruits and veggies, even no red meat! I do the bike daily, squats, stairs, arm exercises...so many things at this point. I just want to lose this weight and I don't think anything is working. Please offer advice nicely. : 0) I have actively been trying to lose weight for about 6 months, and when people see me they say I've gotten bigger. I guess I carry alot of my weight in my lower part, I'm just feeling horrible and like I cant lose this weight. Heck, its hard for me to reach 149! :(

1) you're likely eating more than you think you are and/or burning less than you think you are
    2) his daily burn from his BMR/TDEE is likely higher than yours

all things being equal, a man with a BMR of 2400 per day is going to lose weight faster than a woman with a BMR of 1600, for example.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You mentioned all these fads you tried but I don't think you said what your calorie goal is and whether you are weighing your food. My husband and I both count calories. I'm in maintenance and he's losing weight and he still gets to eat more than me. Last night we had salmon. I had 6 oz, which is a lot for me, and he had 10 oz. Then he had twice as much rice as me. I ended up just barely making my calorie goal, and he was well under his.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    It just shows that men are still superior. :)

It's genetics. To generalize, men are bigger, so they burn more calories. We also (typically) have more muscle mass, so we burn even more that way.
  • Deathofacook
    Options
    Men lose weight more quickly than women, it's a physiological thing. Where a woman, on the right energy reduction, can lose up to 1-3#/week a man on the same diet could lose 4-6#. Don't fret.
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Ton of reasons why....here are the main two
    More lean muscle mass
    Higher testerone levels
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Testosterone is a helluva hormone
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    My husband is very overweight - all in his gut - despite working out hours every day (he teaches tai chi).

But when he start MFP last month he started shedding weight faster than me. Because he weighs 80 pounds more than I do.

If I was as overweight as he is, I would lose weight that fast too. My sister is. She does.

Keep going on YOUR weight loss. It's what it is.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    It is soo frustrating. My husband can always lose weight so much faster.