do I count work

Options
So I just found out there was a exercise for cleaning.. either light or vigorous...

I fold clothes all day at work.. I move, stand, bend, walk around.. I am on my feet all day, folding clothes, helping customers, moving shelving units etc.

So here's my question.. I work 40 hours week one 20 hours week 2 10 ish hours week 3 and then back to 40..

so in my settings do I put that I'm lightly active, and count my work as light cleaning..

Or do I put active and not count working as an exercise

I do my cardio and strength training regardless and I count that as exercise but only consider myself moderately active when the weather's good.. Like today, my son and I spent hours at the park so I was active.. tomorrow.. suppossed to be storming,so I'll do my workout.. but we can't go anywhere.. so I'll read most ofthe day.. lightly active

What would you do?

Replies

• justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I would put in lightly active and not include your 'work' as exercise. Let's see what others think.....
  • chelsinicole
    Options
    I would just put active
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I would put in lightly active and not include your 'work' as exercise. Let's see what others think.....

That's what I'd do :smile:
  • lovingmyjaybird
    Options
    See, I want to do this MFP thing right, because I see it has helped alot of people... if they use it as a weight loss tool correctly, I just don't know what to put.. I think right now I'm at moderately active, trying to do 30 minute cardio's 5 times a week and it has me at 1430 for calories before exercise.. But if I am actually supposed to be at an active level, then I'll need to work out more to see results, because my body is already used to this... IDK lol
  • lovingmyjaybird
    Options
    Thanks everyone.. I'm determined to get this right!!! LOL
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    When they ask you how active you are during the profile setup stage they do not mean for you to include your exercising routines. Take that out of the equation...just how active are you at work and around the home, etc. THEN they ask you how many minutes a day you will be working out.
  • lovingmyjaybird
    Options
    Oh okay, thank you! When I joined I was already down nearly 50lbs.. and my body has already adjusted to my workouts.. that'swhy I was counting them.. thanks for the clarification
    When they ask you how active you are during the profile setup stage they do not mean for you to include your exercising routines. Take that out of the equation...just how active are you at work and around the home, etc. THEN they ask you how many minutes a day you will be working out.
  • marjaskow
    marjaskow Posts: 81
    Options
    Your normal daily work routine is used as to how active you are when you sign up to figure your calories for the day. Any "work" you do that isn't part of your normal daily stuff could be used as activity. I work part time 4 days a week. When I work at night instead of during the day there is more physical labor involved so I will add some light cleaning to my list as I do work up a sweat doing it and it is over and above any daily routine. If this were part of a regular job I did every day I wouldn't count it.
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options

I would probably do this, except instead of lightly active, put moderately active.

I would imagine folding clothes all day long has some aerobic component, so it would definitely be more than lightly active. Additionally, if you are transporting the clothes before and after folding, you will have some strength conditioning component.

Generally speaking, sedentary would be sitting at a desk all day long, lightly active would be walking around, moderately active would entail some lifting and/or brisk movement, and so on.
  • Alexandra888
    Options
    Do what you think is right. If what your doing is making you sweat or tired, then put active. If it doesnt make you sweat or anything like that, then put lightly active, but do include it in your exercise journal. I do and it makes me feel like i actually did something for the day even if it wasnt a hard core workout. You're still burning calories at work so technically, you are working out. I'd include it.
  • leelu
    leelu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you dont double count the calories

either - put in sedentary - and then add all the exercise your do

or make a judgement on lightly active or moderately active but dont include your general routine only whats above and beyond that.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    My job is pretty physical. I have orthopedically impaired students and do much wheelchair pushing and lifting of kiddos. I just have my activity level as lightly active. I only count the exercise I set out to do.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options

I agree.