Low (>120) cal Spicy Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup

Options
joe2626
joe2626 Posts: 123 Member
Thought i'd have a bash at a bit more soup making after making a very yummy (if a tad high in sodium) French Onion soup. Inspired by a friend on MFP, I thought i'd make it HOT.

So I took:
- 3 tomatoes (on the vine)
- 2 red peppers (halved and deseeded)
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 large red chilli and
- 1 medium onion (halved, in skin)

I roasted these in the oven then finished until the grill to get the skins slightly black before taking out and placing everything into a sealed freezer bag for about 10 minutes to steam and sweat. Then I took them out, de-skinned them (a messy job) and chopped them into smaller chunks. These all went into the blender for a bit of pulsing and mixing before going into a pan with a can of chopped tomatoes and 200ml of stock (using one vegetable oxo cube). Bring up to temperature (don't boil) and add paprika and chilli powder to taste. I also added some extra garlic granules and some balsamic vinegar but if you're looking to keep sodium right down then the vinegar's optional but definitely enhanced the taste.

A very tasty soup with sweetness from the red peppers and the hit of the chilli after. These ingredients make enough for 3 decent portions at LESS THAN 120 cals per portion! Enjoy! x

// 4.2g Protein // 21.1g Carbs (5.6g Fiber // 8.7g Sugars) // 1.2g Fat // ~134mg Sodium //

Replies

• VickyO1977
    VickyO1977 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy thanks Joe
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yum, love this, i would pile in cayenne pepper too,
  • SaltWaterTaffy78
    SaltWaterTaffy78 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing! :happy:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Your title suggests that it is greater than 120 cals, and so does your "These ingredients make enough for 3 decent portions at >120 cals per portion!" comment.

Lets break it down
    4.2 P*4 = 16.8
    21.1 C*4 = 84.4
    1.2F*9 = 10.8
    for a total of 112 cals which is <120, not > 120.
  • wjrapp
    wjrapp Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    This sounds awesome!! Thanks....
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    sounds *SO* yum, this goes on the must-make-this list!

thanx!

=^x^=
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy.. especially on a cold, snowy day such as today
  • joe2626
    Options
    I do apologise, I got them the wrong way 'round and didn't check it. I would hope that people realise that this is a mistake as '>120 cals' is an utterly ridiculous statement. I shall fix it now!
  • Angeloftheshore
    Angeloftheshore Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Mmmm will be trying this next week! Thanks for the post!
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy! Bumping to try later :)
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Thought i'd have a bash at a bit more soup making after making a very yummy (if a tad high in sodium) French Onion soup. Inspired by a friend on MFP, I thought i'd make it HOT.

So I took:
    - 2 large garlic cloves
    - 1 large red chilli and

I roasted these in the oven then finished until the grill to get the skins slightly black before taking out and placing everything into a sealed freezer bag for about 10 minutes to steam and sweat. Then I took them out, de-skinned them (a messy job) and chopped them into smaller chunks. These all went into the blender for a bit of pulsing and mixing before going into a pan with a can of chopped tomatoes and 200ml of stock (using one vegetable oxo cube). Bring up to temperature (don't boil) and add paprika and chilli powder to taste. I also added some extra garlic granules and some balsamic vinegar but if you're looking to keep sodium right down then the vinegar's optional but definitely enhanced the taste.

A very tasty soup with sweetness from the red peppers and the hit of the chilli after. These ingredients make enough for 3 decent portions at LESS THAN 120 cals per portion! Enjoy! x

// 4.2g Protein // 21.1g Carbs (5.6g Fiber // 8.7g Sugars) // 1.2g Fat // ~134mg Sodium //

Why Thank You chef! sounds yummy, will make this next week for my IF day. xx
  • joe2626
    Options

So I took:
    - 2 large garlic cloves
    - 1 large red chilli and

Why Thank You chef! sounds yummy, will make this next week for my IF day. xx

Christine, you are that friend inspiring me to make it HOT! I know you love your spicy food more than any one I know :) xx
  • DeborahBatewell
    DeborahBatewell Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    thanks