Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Any moms/step moms with a pre teen overweight girl?

Hi there. Looking for mom or step mothers who have a pre teen girl living with them. I ask because I am a step mother of a 12 year old young lady who is overweight. She's 4'11" and weighs 167 lbs. She recently came to live with us about a month ago, so we are in the process of working on portion sizes and becoming more physically active.

She has really motivated me to set a good example for her and help her as she copes with the body image issues that all pre teen girls do, but especially because of her weight. Her mother is morbidly obese and her father was a chubby child, so I believe its in her genetics, but we all know you can still work with that.

Anyone else struggling with an overweight girl and trying to set that healthy role model image for her?

27 years old, 5' 5"
HW: 180lbs (while pregnant)
CW: 164lbs
GW: 135

Add me or message me. Diary is only open to friends, but I do track regularly.

Replies

• cnlargent
    cnlargent Posts: 199 Member
    bump
  • It's really awesome that you are concerned for her and trying to get her more active. I'm not a mother but I was overweight kid (it started when I was about 10) and I wish that my mom would have taught me better- but she didn't really have the knowledge herself.

This is just my opinion but I would say that it's best to encourage her to be more active and make better choices foodwise without coming off in a way that makes her feel embarrassed or ashamed. Invite her to go do something active and lead by example.
    Maybe try teaching her about different foods and what they do for your body as a whole- but don't let that be the only things you talk about or she will start to feel like you are always lecturing her about it.
    I remember my mom telling me that I needed to make better food choices- but not really knowing what a better food choice was. When I heard of "diets" I thought that that meant not eating, period.... I had NO CLUE how to lose weight in a healthy way.

Edit: Also, ask her what she thinks and really listen to her. (Again, in a way that doesn't make her feel embarressed or ashamed.) Ask her what she likes to do and what her favorite foods are. Try cooking healthier versions of those foods with her.
  • KristineW78
    KristineW78 Posts: 42 Member
    My daughter is 10 and weighed 99 this morning. She is tall and curvy and I wouldn't deem her overweight but we hit the gym together - she loves to play basketball, run around the track and swim. They also have activities that I want to get her involved in - like Tae Kwon Do and other.
    We also cut out sugar and try to drink lots of water.
    I also aim to shed a more positive light on being healthy instead of losing weight. It seems to be a more inspirational and positive thing.
    Another thing you could do is detox for her - like, we use organic, whole food greens which gets your daily dose of veggies and fruits in but also helps appetite control. This is not a normal detox that is unsafe or a ridiculous, mainstream diet by the way!
    I believe in natural healing using good food!