counting calories=eating disorder?

Options
Is anyone else worried that counting calories will end up in an eating disorder?

Replies

• carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    nope.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Depends what you are using the counting for I actually use my log as a guide and always over estimate. This keeps me from obsessing too much because I know that I'm under what I said I was.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    No?

You'd have to be overly obsessive to get to that point if you ask me.
  • fourteeners
    Options
    I am concerned. That I am starting to look at food in an unhealthy way, and that that won't stop when I reach my "goal."
  • lunarescape
    lunarescape Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've seen it happen and have almost let it happen myself. Being too obsessive of calorie counting to the point of it controlling every aspect of your life. Just don't go crazy with it and you'll be fine. c:
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Then go to a doctor.
  • emelia_
    Options
    I can see how you could get obsessed with tracking your weight, I used to kind of freak out if I forgot my phone and couldn't enter a food. I think as long as you have healthy, realistic goals in the first place you're on the right track.
  • Saaaam42
    Saaaam42 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Not an eating disorder, but I definitely feel more obsessive about my weight since I joined MFP.
  • kprep
    kprep Posts: 11
    Options
    an eating disorder is a mental illness, you cannot just 'get' one...
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else worried that counting calories will end up in an eating disorder?

I'd say the opposite.

If yoe have a sensible calorie target, logging regularly will give you a better idea of portion size, and a better idea of the macros in foods so that when you do stop using MFP you will have a better chance of eating healthily on your own.

Trying to hit the right macros is like doing a challenge - I see them as a goal to hit, not as a limit.
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    If this is something you are worried about perhaps there is a underlyning issues you should discuss with a Dr. before starting a diet plan. It is just a guide to help. 55lbs lost and I do not have a eating disorder.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    No, an eating disorder is more complex than what you assume.
  • Abner88
    Options
    No,counting calories is good for your health i mean by doing this you will know what did you eat and how much did you eat so its will be little more easy for you to achieve you fitness goal,But there is nothing like eating disorders in that.Stay cool
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I don't think that counting calories in and of itself will lead you to an eating disorder. I do think that if you are prone to obsessive/compulsive type disorders, that might lead to being obsessive about calorie counting. So like somebody else already said, it's the other way around.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    A few people have accused me of having an eating disorder but they haven't seen me go full on beast mode in the gym. My body weight is low but the weight on my oly bar isn't :laugh: . I don't think I have the kind of mindset that could develop an eating disorder.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Nope, because I view food as fuel and I continuously look for ways to eat more than 2500 calories and still lose weight. But if you have a small deficit and exercise so you can eat more, I would find it hard to develop an ED if you are eating 1700+ calories. Unfortunately, people make a game out of beating their calorie goal and over extend their goals. Like those with 20 lbs to lose aiming to lose 2 lbs per week. It's too aggressive.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Purple--your picture is creepy!!!

I think that calorie county and become obsessive and you can under eat when you need to eat because you are eating something nutritious. It is possible. Try not to stress to much about it though. Just eat what you are supposed to and let the rest take care of itself.
  • violinkeri
    Options

My sister has an eating disorder, but she wasnt born with it. She 'got' it after getting teased about being chunky, getting healthy by being fit, and then taking it too far. you can't CATCH an eating disorder, but you can sure as hell GET one.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

^This

An eating disorder is really a manifestation of a control disorder. I would ask you what is making you obsessive over counting your calories? Is it comforting to you because it's something you can control? Do you feel out of control in other areas of your life? If you think you are developing a problem, talk to a doctor. ED's spin out of control very quickly.