Gym

Options
How long does eveyone spend in the gym and what do you do in that time?

I'm asking as at the moment I pay for 3 hours of parking in the gym car park and find that I'm running out of time.

At the moment I try and do 40 min on the treadmill, then do a circuit of weights, then i do as I much as i can on the cross-trainer which tends to be between 20- 30 min's ( unless I start on this first ) I then finish my session in the pool doing lenghts which can be another 30- 60 min's but this depends on what time I have left and I'm rushing my shower to make sure I'm not late back for my car.

Does anyone else have

Replies

• guzzlingil
    Options
    Typically 45 minutes in the morning...

pretty much have a plan/routine that I know I want to do going in...

hit it hard with very few breaks.

I save my cardio for the evening ...usually walk or run 2 miles around the house...it keeps me from eating
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I spend just under an hour 3x per week: 1.5 miles HIIT on treadmill (or on street), streches, heavy lifting all muscle groups.
  • sierra_12
    sierra_12 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i go for about 2 hours in the early afternoon right after class
    i do 30 minutes on the elliptical
    45 minutes of incline 15 treadmill at 4.0 speed
    quick stretch 10 minutes and all ab exercises
    another 30 minutes on a cross ramp
    full stretch (:

every other day i add another hour to hour and a half in the evening after dinner
    i will do all my weight training on all of my muscle groups (1 hour)
    finish with 30 minutes incline 15 treadmill 4.0 speed

hope this helps! (:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    About an hour. I lift 3 times a week and that's it. Spending hours on the treadmill or elliptical every week is boring as sin and I don't bother. No need to. If you love the treadmill, good for you, but for the vast majority of people it's non-sustainable torture that they're better off not doing IMO.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    depends on what I am doing.
    Some Saturdays I go 3 times. Morning swim, 1.5+ hours from parking to leaving. mid day lifting, 1.25 hours, afternoon swim with my daughter, 1.5+ parking to leaving.
    Typical weekday evening is swimming and weights. 2 to 2.5 hours parking to leaving.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    5 minutes on the bike to warm up.
    30-50 minutes lifting - depends on if I'm on deload week or not.
    5-10 minutes stretching - again, depends on if I'm deloading.
    About 10 minutes to shower and change.

All told, about an hour. That said, on Saturdays I throw in an extra 15-30 minutes of cardio after lifting, so maybe 1.5 hours on Saturday.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I'm asking as at the moment I pay for 3 hours of parking in the gym car park and find that I'm running out of time.

No. Reconsider what you're doing at the gym. Reconsider EVERYTHING
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    An hour and 1/2 in the gym, then 1/2 hour to shower and change. All in all about 2 hours but can really drop it down to 1.5 in needed. I work out 6 days a week normally...sometimes only 5 and sometimes 7. Depends on what I feel like.
  • MissFitee
    MissFitee Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    * 60-75 min of lifting
    * depending on my current goals 15-30 min cardio on top
  • jenmsu83
    jenmsu83 Posts: 185 Member
    Options

No. Reconsider what you're doing at the gym. Reconsider EVERYTHING

^ Yeah...I'd have to agree. That's A LOT of time at the gym in one day...don't you get tired??

ETA: I spend between 45-60 minutes at the gym about 4 times a week. It's always a mix of cardio, weights, abs, stretching.
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    You can get all your work done at the gym in less than 3 hours pretty easily I'd think! I usually spend no more than 90mins that's including lifting and cardio! Maybe you could save time by running/walking outside?
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I spend about 40/50 minutes at the gym. 10 minutes warm-up, the rest on free weights.

If I'm doing a class, I'm there for an hour and a bit.

Never spent 3 hours at the gym, and probably never will unless they add on a "napping room"
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Typical day at the gym average times for me are:
    35-45 min. Cardio 5-6 days a week
    rest then
    40-50 min. Weights 4-5 days a week

I built my own gym so I don't have to pay for parking, gas, or gym fees. It saves me a grip of time and $ to buy new stuff. I never have to wait and I get listen to my own loud music. :wink:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I spend about an hour and a half four days a week. That is all lifting though and someitmes some light ab work...if I want to run/do HIIT then I go outside..but then again I live in Florida and the weather pretty much always allows this..
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I spend about 40/50 minutes at the gym. 10 minutes warm-up, the rest on free weights.

Never spent 3 hours at the gym, and probably never will unless they add on a "napping room"

Agree napping room.
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options

hahaha! this really did make me laugh out loud!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    35 mins/day, 3 days/week, heavy lifting strength training. No need to kill yourself in the gym burning cals when it is much easier to just cut out a few cals from your diet instead.
  • carlom18
    carlom18 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    50 mins to 1 hour and 15 mins if i do stretching at the end. Lifting only atm.

3 hours is a huge amount of time for one day. that's how much i average 1 week in a gym maybe a bit more.
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    On weekdays, about an hour to 1.5 hours. On weekends, I don't worry about time spent, last Sunday was over 2 hours. I don't have enough time to put in 3 hours and don't love cardio that much. I do my lifting at the gym and just a little cardio. I really only don't do much cardio at all (3 - 30min sessions per week) but am thinking of starting to get serious about a c25k plan.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm there about an hour maybe an hour and a half tops. 3 hours is a long time to be at the gym. Have you considered breaking up your workout or dropping an activity?