Recent study on time of day-carbs vs fat

Options
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20351731

From: International Journal of Obesity advance online publication, 30 March 2010; doi:10.1038/ijo.2010.63.

Text:

Background:Excess caloric intake is strongly associated with the development of increased adiposity, glucose intolerance, insulin resistance, dyslipidemia, and hyperleptinemia (that is the cardiometabolic syndrome). Research efforts have focused attention primarily on the quality (that is nutritional content) and/or quantity of ingested calories as potential causes for diet-induced pathology. Despite growing acceptance that biological rhythms profoundly influence energy homeostasis, little is known regarding how the timing of nutrient ingestion influences development of common metabolic diseases.

Objective:To test the hypothesis that the time of day at which dietary fat is consumed significantly influences multiple cardiometabolic syndrome parameters.

Results:We report that mice fed either low- or high-fat diets in a contiguous manner during the 12 h awake/active period adjust both food intake and energy expenditure appropriately, such that metabolic parameters are maintained within a normal physiologic range. In contrast, fluctuation in dietary composition during the active period (as occurs in human beings) markedly influences whole body metabolic homeostasis. Mice fed a high-fat meal at the beginning of the active period retain metabolic flexibility in response to dietary challenges later in the active period (as revealed by indirect calorimetry). Conversely, consumption of high-fat meal at the end of the active phase leads to increased weight gain, adiposity, glucose intolerance, hyperinsulinemia, hypertriglyceridemia, and hyperleptinemia (that is cardiometabolic syndrome) in mice. The latter perturbations in energy/metabolic homeostasis are independent of daily total or fat-derived calories.

Conclusions:The time of day at which carbohydrate versus fat is consumed markedly influences multiple cardiometabolic syndrome parameters.

Replies

• Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Whew......layman terms please
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    soooo....I shoud eat what, when?!?
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I think this translates to, if you eat food with a high fat/carb content at the beginning of the day, when you're starting to be more active, you're less like for that food to be stored as fat on the body. Whereas if you eat a high-fat/carb meal later in the day, when you're body is winding down (and so using less energy) that food is likely to be stored and you would gain weight as a result.

I think.... I've not read the full article yet....not sure i could cope either, but WTG cmurphy!!!
  • SnuggleBunny
    Options
    I don't have access to the whole article. I should be able to because of my work subscriptions but I guess we don't buy this journal.

Plain English:
    1) If you spread your calories out over the course of the day your body will adapt (high fat or low fat)
    2) If you eat the majority of your calories in the morning you will still be okay (high fat)
    3) If you eat the majority of your calories late in the day, you're screwed (high fat)

Please remember this is a mouse model and may or may not be translatable to humans. Do not take this as fact for us.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Unless you're a proffessional model or athlete, I would spend more time worrying about hitting your calories goals, than what time of day you eat them.

No need to make this harder than it is.