'Water helps weight loss' - A myth apparently

Options
Apparently drinking 2 litres of water a day only helps weight loss because its makes you feel fuller meaning it helps you eat less.
Your fat cells need water to breakdown fat however apprently you dont need 2 litres of water a day for this, and likely that your intake is enough water for this to happen already.

Any thoughts?

Im drinking 2 litres a day just because it's good for you and if it does help weight loss thats a bonus!

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I drink when thirsty. I get really thirsty pretty much all the time so I drink about 8 liters of water a day. Yesterday I went through over 10 liters.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is a myth! I weighed myself this morning and then I drank 2 liters of water. I weighed myself again and I gained 4 pounds!!! :mad:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Water helps you break down nutrients. But increasing water above and beyond that of being hydrated will do nothing for you in terms of weight loss. I always laugh when people say drink more water. Calories is for weight loss, not water.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is a myth! I weighed myself this morning and then I drank 2 liters of water. I weighed myself again and I gained 4 pounds!!! :mad:

The horror!

Personally, I would be dehydrated on two liters, and dehydration leads to sluggishness. However, I seem to need an inordinate amount of water to stay hydrated, as shown by high levels of iron when I am being tested for anemia.
  • sarah197436
    Options

^^^^^^^
    i dont think it works that quick lol
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have read you should drink 1/2 your body weight in oz of water. Example: a person weighing 150lbs/2=75 should drink 75 oz of water to hyrdate their body. Who knows how much truth there is to that but there is nothing wrong with drinking plenty of water. Who knows if it helps with weight loss. The way I look at it is, if I'm not drinking water, I'll probably be drinking something with calories instead, so with that theory, yes water helps with weight loss!
  • peace_frog21
    peace_frog21 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Water helps you break down nutrients. But increasing water above and beyond that of being hydrated will do nothing for you in terms of weight loss. I always laugh when people say drink more water. Calories is for weight loss, not water.

I say "drink more water" as in drink water instead of soda or sweet tea or other empty calorie, sugary beverages.
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    There is a basic test for this. If your urine is very pale yellow to clear, you are probably getting enough water to be hydrated.
  • ericarae33
    ericarae33 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I try to drink at least 4 liters a day...I can tell a huge difference in how I feel, and look (skin etc)
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I drink water to avoid death not to lose weight.
  • dnhardy
    Options
    I started drinking to help me feel full. I'm going to keep drinking to keep my skin beautiful and clear. There are so many other benefits to drinking water than just the idea that it may or may not help you lose weight
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Drinking more water may lead to weight loss, but not fat loss. The weigh you may lose would be water weight. If you are well hydrated there is less of a chance of your body retaining any extra water. So if you are retaining water now, drinking water will help you lose weight (water weight) but not fat.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

this made me chuckle!!

But I have my 3 liters a day and I feel so much better for it
  • swolegirlcb
    Options
    Water helps your body do everything, including lose weight (if you are also exercising and dieting for this to happen). There is of course a point in which you will be taking in an amount that will be "too much".

There is also such a thing as water loading, where if you increase your water intake a lot, in a short amount of time and then drastically drop it quickly you will shed a water weight quickly. Only a temporary decreasd used often by athletes who need to make weight.

Personally I have water loaded before and it works, and I also typically drink a gallon of water a day and it does not cause me to gain weight. Though *initially* you may see an increased weight gain bc your body may not be used to the amount of water you are giving it.
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I drink water to avoid death not to lose weight.

This and also to keep my internals functioning well.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I drink when thirsty. I get really thirsty pretty much all the time so I drink about 8 liters of water a day. Yesterday I went through over 10 liters.

wow, 10 liters = 330 oz. Don't you float away?
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I drink 40-70 ounces of water a day and it works for me. (I guess I do that half-your-body weight in water without even knowing it when I get to 60 ounces).
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^
    i dont think it works that quick lol
    Actually, it does work that quickly. The water is in one's stomach, so it's included in the weight on the scale. And as the saying goes, "A pint's a pound, the world 'round." 2 liters of water is approximately 4 pints, which is 4 pounds.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    i thought the whole point was that water stopped you from being as hungry. wasn't it?
  • laurlock77
    laurlock77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

So basically, you drank approximately 66-68 oz of water which is the equivalent of 4.25 pounds if one pound is 16 oz. Your weight gain from water was exactly what it should have been.