New Workout - Gaining Weight

Options
Hi all, I just opened up my diary to public so please have a look if it will help you help me. I am 5'3", 195 pounds, in a size 12 dress size. I am very hourglass shaped with most of my weight in my hips and bottom. I've been using MFP since Christmas and had lost 7 pounds during the month of January (that is to say I went from 198 to 191). However, following a weekend traveling to Montana and then back to Los Angeles (during which I tried to watch my diet and exercise), I gained back 2 pounds. I then started doing a more intense workout (I usually do Crunch Latin Rhythms, and I switched to This is Tae Bo with Billy Blanks) to make up for the intense hunger pains I was feeling and to boost my metabolism. Unfortunately, I am now back up to 195.

I understand that travel wrecked havoc on my plan and that I deserved the two pounds I gained. But why am I gaining more weight now that I'm burning more calories?

**Please note, I am really looking for constructive criticism and help because I want to be healthy. So, please don't say anything mean or hurtful. I'm on here in need of a supportive community.

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    New exercise plan = water weight. Your body is hording glycogen, don't worry about it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What justsomerando said. Also, your carbs are rather high most days. If you eat a bit more protein and fats, your body will store less glycogen which means less water weight. But based on your calories, I would say it's 100% impossible to gain new fat. It's water weight fluctuations
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    New exercise plan = water weight. Your body is hording glycogen, don't worry about it.

i agree with this
  • ellejay1214
    ellejay1214 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi all, how long does the weight gain usually last when starting something more intense? I decided to alternate Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and Billy Blanks This is Tae Bo for the next 60 days (with 1 rest day a week). At what point should I start to see the number go back down?

Also, the tip on cutting carbs was good. I felt amazing after swapping my oatmeal and flax seed lunch for a high protein salad (I wasn't hungry for the next four hours!) Any tips on subbing in protein for carbs? What percentages should I be aiming for with protein, fat, and carbs (I found the pie graph in the tracker and saw that carbs make up roughly half of what I eat)?
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    it can take a week to see the water retention calories go away...but if you continue on a challenging workout causing sore muscles frequently, that is your sign that you are retaining water.

I set my macros at 40/30/30 Carbs/protein/fats and it works just fine. I just make sure my protein is over 120g per day and let the rest fall where it may.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    it can take a week to see the water retention calories go away...but if you continue on a challenging workout causing sore muscles frequently, that is your sign that you are retaining water.

I set my macros at 40/30/30 Carbs/protein/fats and it works just fine. I just make sure my protein is over 120g per day and let the rest fall where it may.

This is good advice. Also, don't stress the weight so much. Taking pictures and measurements can provide better feedback. But I have seen water weight last a few weeks or so.