Too much sugar!!!

Options
I am getting too much sugar in my foods. I usually eat a metagenics ultrameal bar for breakfast but it has 11g of sugar. I prefer some sort of bar for breakfast since I am a very busy person. I don't have time for a "real" breakfast most days.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good "bar" for breakfast?

Replies

• stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    For starters, what do you consider "too much sugar"?

Secondly, there are plenty of fast alternatives to bars. No food is good or bad on its own right... you have to look at how it fits into the bigger picture of calories and nutrition you're eating each day. That said, I'd sooner opt for a whey shake and a piece of fruit than I would a bar. That's just my personal preference though.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    pure protein bars only have about 3 grams of sugar
    they are really good to
  • djames92
    Options

Secondly, there are plenty of fast alternatives to bars. No food is good or bad on its own right... you have to look at how it fits into the bigger picture of calories and nutrition you're eating each day. That said, I'd sooner opt for a whey shake and a piece of fruit than I would a bar. That's just my personal preference though.
    also i agree with the shake and fruit idea
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    a banana and an apple. They probably have a lot of sugar too, but they're a whole lot better than any bar.

[Feel free to substitute your favorite fruit]

Also, there are lots of other on-the-go breakfasts that are super healthy. I make overnight oats in a jar, then grab the jar and a spoon on my way out the door.
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/06/skinny-overnight-oats-in-jar.html [also substitute your fave stuff]
  • djames92
    Options
    a banana and an apple. They probably have a lot of sugar too, but they're a whole lot better than any bar.

that was my breakfast when i did my diet. well add a glass of milk
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    they are really good to

MMMMMM I absolutely love the peanut butter chocolate ones. My friend swears by the peanut butter and jelly ones (but that concept is a bit out of my comfort zone).
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options

I consider 11g too much sugar for breakfast. I have the whey protein for shakes but I can make them in the morning 3 days out of 5 because I leave so early I can't run the blender (I have 4 minor children). Thats why I go for bars; they fill me up and are easy for on the go.
  • AuddAlise
    Options
    I guess I should have added that I have quite a few allergies.

Banana's
    Peanuts
    milk (any product made out of milk/dairy)
    eggs

Any suggestions?

ETA: I just looked up how much sugar is in an apple and its 11g per medium Gala apple. :sad:
  • djames92
    Options

Banana's
    Peanuts
    eggs

Any suggestions?

ETA: I just looked up how much sugar is in an apple and its 11g per medium Gala apple. :sad:
    okay this is just my opinion but you really need to chill on the freaking out about sugar. the sugar from apples isnt even a big deal i eat 3 apples a day minimum
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I like to munch on Think Thin protein bars... they are sugar free, gluten free, and dairy free. It has sugar alcohols, but it's not the same... that helps to keep your blood sugar from spiking.

www.thinkproducts.com

I usually don't care for a lot of protein bars, but Think thin are my absolute favorite and help keep me full :)
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    they are really good to

A lot of sugar alcohols in those bars = can cause gas, stomach pains, bloating for some people. With that said sugar alcohols have no negative effect on me. Another note I see protein bars as more of a treat then a meal replacement. Its almost like eating a protein candy bar unless you make your own.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options

I consider 11g too much sugar for breakfast. I have the whey protein for shakes but I can make them in the morning 3 days out of 5 because I leave so early I can't run the blender (I have 4 minor children). Thats why I go for bars; they fill me up and are easy for on the go.

A better question...

Why is 11 grams too much for breakfast?

I'm sorry to ask questions like this, but I've been doing this a long time and find that most people are stressing out over and basing decisions on irrational beliefs. Understandably so, too, considering how our media and fitness culture loves to perpetuate soundbite science and absolutes in an effort to push agendas and sales.
  • AuddAlise
    Options

Banana's
    Peanuts
    eggs

Any suggestions?

okay this is just my opinion but you really need to chill on the freaking out about sugar. the sugar from apples isnt even a big deal i eat 3 apples a day minimum

Maybe I should quit worrying about it. The only reason I brough it up is because MFP set my limit at 27g per day. So 11g for breakfast alone would be alot. Maybe I shouldn't worry about it?
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options

Banana's
    Peanuts
    eggs

Any suggestions?

Maybe I should quit worrying about it. The only reason I brough it up is because MFP set my limit at 27g per day. So 11g for breakfast alone would be alot. Maybe I shouldn't worry about it?

Well Try to avoid REFINED sugars, like in candy bars, cookies, etc. Natural sugars are okay, if not in excess (because remember, sugar of any type spikes your blood sugar, making you hungrier and crave more carbs since they digest pretty quickly). MFP doesn't differentiate between natural sugars, such as found in fruit, versus refined ones found in junk
  • jhousekey
    jhousekey Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have similar concerns. I have been going over the mfp recommendations for sugar also, mainly due to bananas and the cup of Total Whole Wheat cereal I have been having every morning.

You mentioned natural sugars are ok, but not in excess. What do you consider excess?
  • djames92
    Options

Banana's
    Peanuts
    eggs

Any suggestions?

exactly 27 grams of sugar is soo little id say your fine at about 55 even 65 as long as your not eating a bunch of cookies and candy bars dont even count sugar
  • tylertj99
    Options
    HELP!!! I am in same boat as Cerdwin, according to myfitnesspal....I am over my natural surgar intake every day. I am on day 21 and only lost on week 2 (4.4 lbs) I have been same weight for almost 2 weeks now....UGH!!! :sad: Is it my natural sugar intake?????? I am under my calories and over my fitness goal morethan 3x a week. Maye I should just ride it out.
  • AuddAlise
    Options
    No I don't eat a lot of candy/cookies/cake/pie. In fact I don't like a lot of it. I did have 1 thin mint last night. It satisfied my sweet tooth.

So the sugar in my bar, I shouldn't worry about it?
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I have the Quaker 25% less sugar, OR Adkins Breakfast/snack (1g of sugar) - those are snacks tho
    I have dannon lite and fit greek with cereal topping most days

I'll be honest, the Sugar is the number I look at most.
  • djames92
    Options
    No I don't eat a lot of candy/cookies/cake/pie. In fact I don't like a lot of it. I did have 1 thin mint last night. It satisfied my sweet tooth.

So the sugar in my bar, I shouldn't worry about it?
    if your only having one bar and not eating a bunch of processed sugar its not a big deal