Diet Pop Cake

Options
This may be an old one, but someone at work just told me about this and we tried it and it's just as good as real cake!

1 box cake mix (any kind you like)
1 can diet pop (we found that dark pops like diet coke, diet dr. pepper, etc...go better with chocolate cake and clear/light pops like sprite zero, diet ginger ale, etc.. go better with white/yellow cake)
2 egg whites (this helps everything stick together better and keeps it a little moister)

Combine all 3 ingredients and pour into a lightly greased baking pan and bake according to directions on the box.

Serve plain or with cool whip for a little treat.

I entered it at "diet pop cake" if you want to see the cal/fat breakdown.

Replies

• uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    Options
    This may be an old one, but someone at work just told me about this and we tried it and it's just as good as real cake!

1 box cake mix (any kind you like)
    1 can diet pop (we found that dark pops like diet coke, diet dr. pepper, etc...go better with chocolate cake and clear/light pops like sprite zero, diet ginger ale, etc.. go better with white/yellow cake)
    2 egg whites (this helps everything stick together better and keeps it a little moister)

Combine all 3 ingredients and pour into a lightly greased baking pan and bake according to directions on the box.

Serve plain or with cool whip for a little treat.

I entered it at "diet pop cake" if you want to see the cal/fat breakdown.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I made the diet pop cake as suggested by another user. It's just a box of cake mix, and 12 oz of diet pop (my son is allergic to eggs, so it is GREAT - I obviously skipped the egg whites). It worked SO well, and was very tasty! Then I expanded the concept to pancakes, and it was perfect (again egg and dairy free!).

Highly recommended!
    :smile:
  • sportsmomof2
    Options
    I made this for easter...skipped the egg whites and it was moist and yummy..We did two...

One white cake with Diet Cherry 7-Up
    and one chocolate with Diet Cherry Coke.

Topped both with FFree Cool Whip!

Enjoy!
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Yummm............must have missed the last time this was posted, thanks for posting again!!!! I will definitely try this!!!!
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    So just any cake mix and any diet soda??? That's it??
    And I've been adding all the other crap for how long??:grumble:

Thank you soooo much for this recipe!

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I make this for my daughter because she is allergic to eggs. Our favorite is strawberry cake mix with diet sprite. I find it works better as cupcakes, a little easier to manage that way. I like the light cakes better when I tried doing chocolate.

as for the pancakes and egg allergies... I made yummy pancakes yesterday 2 cups reduced fat bisquick and 1 1/2 cup milk. No eggs needed and I couldn't even tell the difference.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Yes - you literally mix the dry cake mix, with the can of pop (I use beaters, then grease or Pam spray the bottom of the pan (don't grease the sides - you want the cake to "climb") and bake as usual! Proudmama was the one who posted this last time!
    :smile:

Proudmama - we are thinking alike! I too make the pancakes with Bisquick - my allergic son was in heaven!
    :love:
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I do this... it is a trick my sister learned through Weight Watchers...

You can also try

White cake mix
    Can of Diet Strawberry soda

Top with strawberries & Cool whip
  • 612gemini
    612gemini Posts: 37
    Options
    Personally I love cool whip but a friend told me that if you whip cake frosting it cuts the fat & calories in half so for those of you who feel that you need frosting give that a try!
  • PrincessRitty
    Options
    This might sound like a silly question, but does the calorie content change per serving etc, dependant on which cake mix you use??

I like this though, sounds great1

__x
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    This might sound like a silly question, but does the calorie content change per serving etc, dependant on which cake mix you use??

I like this though, sounds great1

__x
    Yes it will. And it also depends on the brand you use.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • wildcatmom2u
    Options
    :blushing: Stupid question.... so if I take out my beaters and whip the frosting that lowers the calories??? I have never heard of that before. I know that you also can buy whipped frosting, but stick to the cheaper brands. :blushing:
  • sportsmomof2
    Options
    Ok..maybe Im dense...::embarassed: But whipping frosting for less calories??

It seems to me that the calorie count would be the same regardless of how much you beat frosting. It may cover more which would probably expand the portion size but how would air breakdown calories.....
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    No, it won't magically take away calories... otherwise I would whip everything!!! :laugh: But lets say by whipping 1 cup of frosting and getting 2 cups of whipped frosting (1/2 frosting 1/2 air) then you could technically say that it has 1/2 the calories.... does that make sense??
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    I just made this tonight with dark chocolate fudge cake mix and Pepsi one. Wow...this is crazy! It is SO GOOD! Thank you for this recipe!:bigsmile:
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    ok-I just made this cake using a white cake mix and a fresca! I will let you all know how it turns out.
  • watch48win
    Options
    Yummy! I put fresh strawberries on top and a little whipped cream....just like strawberry short cake...now I just need to find the low sugar cake mixes
  • nicki17
    nicki17 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This sounds good. I just got a orange cake mix and am going to try it with Sprite!
  • watch48win
    Options
    hubby and the kids liked it too!
  • klynn
    klynn Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I made this cake and frosted it with f/f pudding...wow! It is so good...:) During the holidays I added a can of pure pumpkin to the cake mix, then frosted w/ f/f vanilla pudding!