The Biggest Loser

Options
I occasionally tune in to this show, but it bugs me sometimes. Like this week when Jillian had a meltdown because 2 of the contestants could not run for five minutes. I personally am not a runner. I think that I am quite fit. I do power yoga, Barsculpt, biking, horseback riding, resistance training, TRX, and can pound on the elliptical until the cows come home, but I have never been able to embrace running. It hurts in my opinion. Why was it so important to be able to do this? Isn't it about finding something that you like so that the effort will be sustained over time? Was she trying to make a point that I just wasn't getting? Also, the whole premise of the show (who can lose the most weight in a relatively short period of time) seems misguided and misleading to those who may see the show as a healthy fitness regime. And what about these people swinging what looks to be at least a 30 lb kettle bell! My back hurts just watching them. Can I get an Amen on this?!!!

Replies

• thevegankelly
    thevegankelly Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Her point was that those two contestants kept giving up instead of completing relatively simple tasks. She was asking them to run at a low speed for five minutes, and it should've been easy for them based on all the work they've been doing for the last 2+ months.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    When I first started watching, YEARS ago, I had the same thoughts as you did. But, they have doctors/nutritionists, etc. that are on-call at all times to take care of them. Plus, they are on a show that will change your life, if only you listen to your trainers. If I was on that show, I would do anything and everything that they told me to do. Run 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes. What doesn't kill them makes them stronger. They work out hours upon hours a day. Running 5 minutes is something that they should do (especially in week 8) without blinking. I do feel badly for them, but they made the choice to be on BL, now take all the crap the trainers give you and come out thinner, healthier and knowing you can tackle anything life throws at you... even running 5 minutes.