Mexican Restaurant!

Options
I have "can't get out of dinner plans" with some co-workers and they have chosen a local Mexican chain! What are good, "clean" options?

Replies

• erinlibke
    erinlibke Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    do they have a nutritional menu online?
  • Mimisam45
    Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    do they have a nutritional menu online?
  • Mimisam45
    Options
    Apparently not a chain, I can not find a menu on-line, lots of feedback but no menu?
  • colton06
    Options
    I always go with a bean burrito....Mexican is my favorite food. :)
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Apparently not a chain, I can not find a menu on-line, lots of feedback but no menu?

Normally Fajitas are a decent option, or better than anything slathered in that delicious cheese sauce anywho, haha..
  • Mimisam45
    Options

Normally Fajitas are a decent option, or better than anything slathered in that delicious cheese sauce anywho, haha..

I love fajitas but am off wheat/corn. . . . . maybe chicken/steak fajitas with no tortilla as I love all the stuff inside!
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Everyone will make you a chicken salad, just ask. I wouldn't leave a Mexican restaurant without a cup of tortilla soup too! Just be careful and make sure that whatever you eat fits into your macros (check the app under the table if you have to)
  • devan44
    devan44 Posts: 130
    Options

THIS!! Go with the fajitas and lay low on the tortillas. Have fun though! Maybe workout tomorrow to make up for the free chips you will probably eat :drinker: And you can't go Mexican w/out a margarita!!!!
  • laurainparis
    laurainparis Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would get veggie fajitas, no sour cream, and allow myself to eat ONE fajita with the flour tortilla and the rest "naked", just the veggie and beans. Guacamole is very healthy but fattening, so whether or not you eat it is up to you. My downfall is the free chips and salsa; if you can't resist, count out one serving of chips (check online references for the # of chips) and put them on your plate. The good news is that salsa is very low in calories and healthy, so you can load as much of that as you want on your plate. With a little self-control and planning, you can enjoy this evening out without feeling like a guilty pig afterward. :)
  • ckopeny1
    ckopeny1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I order 3 corn tortilla tacos with black beans lettuce tomato and pico de gallo and lots of hot sauce.
  • Chikipiwi
    Chikipiwi Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Fish tacos "grilled fish on corn tortillas"
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I always go with Chicken Fajitas No rice No beans and double up on the veggies.
  • waybets
    waybets Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Mexican style shrimp cocktail is always my go to. Lower in carbs and so filling!
  • Peanutbutterx
    Options
    i do the chicken fajitas and dont eat the tortillas but eat all of the chicken, peppers and onions. no sour cream or cheese, but eat it with guacamole, salsa and lettuce.. i weigh myself every day and whenever i go out for mexican with my cousins i always order this and never gain any weight and its a lot of food too! just all healthy stuff ;) dont get sucked into ordering margaritas though!! its tempting, but there like 700-1200 calories for one glass at most places, so if you want to drink, i would just get a shot (or a couple shots haha) of taquila and drink a diet coke :) if you do eat chips and salsa because there rediculously tempting, try to eat only a couple chips but with alooot of salsa on them.. theres like no calories in salsa.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    I love Mexican restaurants because it is actually very easy to fill up without a lot of calories.

My go to is taco salad. NO fried bowl, no chips with it. No sour cream, no cheese, or cheese on the side so I can sprinkle what I want. This is what I put in it:

- Lettuce
    - Shredded chicken or beef
    -tomato
    -chopped bell peppers if they have them
    -pico de gallo
    -salsa
    -black beans
    -guacamole (caloric but delicious)

I do not order dressing but if you do put it on the side so you can eyeball the amount.

If this doesn't sound good, go for a soft burritto with similar fillings. The tortilla will likely be between 200 and 400 calories, though, so don't be shocked.

Another idea: carne asada with a side of whole beans and rice (no cheese on top) and a salad

If you are drinking, see if they have a skinny maragarita, or go for a Corona or Pacifico for about 180 cals. Or take a shot of tequila for about 70 cal/oz (you will probs get an ounce and a half).

Hope this helps!

eta: like anyplace, if you want lower calories, avoid fried stuff, cheese, sour cream, chips (even baked) and bread type things (tortillas, empanadas, sopapillas). In Mexican restaurants, watch out for refried beans with added lard.
  • jj1973
    jj1973 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have heard that if you eat the chips and salsa with your non-dominant hand that you are more conscious of how much you are eating and won't eat as much.

A thought..... :smile:
  • Peanutbutterx
    Options
    haha thats funny, i just noticed me and laurainparis have almost the exact same mexican food habits!!
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have "can't get out of dinner plans" with some co-workers and they have chosen a local Mexican chain! What are good, "clean" options?

Ceviche is a good option if they have it...that's what I always get. Ceviche with a couple of tablespoons of tableside guacamole, nom nom nom.

EDIT: Corn tortillas (even the hard shell tacos) are usually less calories than soft flour tortillas.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I get veggie fajitas and pretty much ignore the tortillas, most of the time. The hardest thing for me is not overdoing the chips and salsa before the meal comes out. Enchilada sauce is usually not too high in calories, so if they aren't smothered in cheese, enchiladas can be a decent choice. Huevos rancheros and other egg dishes are often pretty simple and relatively low in cheese, which brings the calories down.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    I love mexican, Grew up on the boarder, and our main meals were tex-mex.

I almost always go with the #1 plate, in most resturants, that is a taco, with corn tortilla, includes shreded meat. 1. cheese enchlida, beans and rice. I rarely eat the free chips/salsa. I then work out to stay with in my calories.

My favorite, is a local chain. I eat 1 carne asada taco. Yes its filling. It consists of two warmed (not fried) tortillas, 1 cup of shreded or cubed steak, fresh salsa, and avacodo slice. I believe its about 250 calories. I have ice tea with it. thats it.