Question about Salad

Just wondering what everyone uses to put on their salads??? I LOVE a good salad, but the obvious yummy part is the dressing. I love ranch & french----however I do not like fat free ranch, and the fat free french/western has a TON of sugar.

I've tried just using a little EVOO/Vinegar...however, it's just not the same. What are the best options so that you're not racking up a ton of calories and sugar?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    i use fat free vinagerette or balsamic viniger with a little olive oil
  • you can reduce the balsamic to make it sweeter. Just pour some in a skillet on the stove and let is reduce over medium heat for a couple of minutes. It will become more syrupy and tasty!
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    I love a maple viniagrette from a local company, Yummies in a Jar. Twenty calories a tablespoon and fat free. All their dressings are fat free and pretty strong so you only need a drizzle.
  • lilrhody
    lilrhody Posts: 84 Member
    I make my own dressings. When I want a creamy dressing, I use greek yogurt. and mix that with herbs, garlic, salt, pepper and a bit of lemon juice.

When I want a vinagrette, I use 1 part vinegar to 2 parts oil, add some splenda or honey, chopped garlic, chopped shallots, lemon juice and thyme or oregano.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    I go with the "light" versions vs. fat free and try not to use as much as I would like to. Every fat free dressing I ever tried tasted really horrible!
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Salsa and a small dollop of ranch is delicious and really low-cal on a salad.
  • I never thought of salsa with a little ranch.... that actually sounds like it would be really great!

I think I'm also going to try making my own with the yogurt! Thank you everyone for the replies!!!
  • Cccaroline
    Cccaroline Posts: 196 Member
    I like balsamic vinegar, or I have a lemon dressing with almost no cals. Otherwise I have 0% fat greek youghurt, or low fat cottage cheese instead.
  • There is a company called bolthouse farms that makes a really good ranch. They make it with yogurt so it doesn't taste like "diet food" but it only has 45 calories for 2 tbsp. It is delish!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    rice wine vinegar ....... yum !
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I eliminated all fat free and so called diet foods from my diet so I use regular Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing!
  • teacherspet1
    teacherspet1 Posts: 142 Member
    I like to use minted fat free yogurt dressing on my salads.......its cheaper and less cals to make your own too!!

:bigsmile:
  • I just found this recipe--sounds like it would be good, but I'm not sure how you'd figure out the calories per table spoon?

http://trendypics.net/other/ranch-is-so-fattening-until-now-this-whole-jar-of-.html

This whole jar of ranch is only 1.75 grams of fat and 255 calories! 1 cup Dannon Oikos plain greek yogurt, 1 packet Hidden Valley ranch mix, 1/2 cup 1% milk. Whisk together, chill 1 hour before use. Perfect consistency and tastes better than bottled! May need this!
  • nopudgepoot
    nopudgepoot Posts: 63 Member
    I LOVE Newman's Own Lite Balsamic. It has 45 calories for 2 tablespoons and only 2g of sugar.
  • Don't you find using the regular ranch adds alot of calories to your day? I did. :(
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    bolthouse farms makes yogurt-based dressings that are significantly lower in calories and fat.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    I just found this recipe--sounds like it would be good, but I'm not sure how you'd figure out the calories per table spoon?

http://trendypics.net/other/ranch-is-so-fattening-until-now-this-whole-jar-of-.html

This whole jar of ranch is only 1.75 grams of fat and 255 calories! 1 cup Dannon Oikos plain greek yogurt, 1 packet Hidden Valley ranch mix, 1/2 cup 1% milk. Whisk together, chill 1 hour before use. Perfect consistency and tastes better than bottled! May need this!

i tried this before but wasn't happy with the taste. i did use it for dipping though, so maybe it would be better on a salad.
  • Store-bought fat free ranch is disgusting. I've tried making my own with the Hidden Valley mix. I made it with buttermilk and half mayo / half greek yogurt. I may eventually use just greek yogurt, but little steps. It really reduces the calories and still tastes pretty good.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    I'm a big fan of the Newman's Own dressings. Especially their lite honey mustard and their low-fat sesame ginger dressing.
  • esy1024
    esy1024 Posts: 28 Member
    I don't like any of the low calorie dressings. I'm a blue cheese or ranch fan myself. i just do the old Weight watcher trick, of dipping my fork in the dressing, and adding a fork full of salad. You'll be able to indulge in your favorites, and actually use less dressing than if you were to pour it on top.