Protein and Calories for weight loss/muscle gain

Hello,

Trying to figure out how much protein and calories my Fiancee should be taking in for fat loss and muscle gain while strength training.

Currently she is 212 pounds, 20 years old, 5'8". She is sedentary but is going to start weight lifting 3 times a week as well as light cardio and yoga on the other days of the week. She is insulin resistant with PCOS and needs to keep her carbs at a lowish level.

All the calculators I have seen tell her she should be eating 150 to over 200 grams of protein a day, and over 2000 calories. She has over 50 pounds to lose though and she's worried that it would take over 2 years to lose it all with that amount of calories. She would like to gain muscle and lose fat to be healthier and also to help make her back feel better (no core strength because of being sedentary and overweight for a while due to depression.)

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

Replies

• jcperkns
    jcperkns Posts: 109
    It is impossible to gain muscle on a calorie deficit. She should work on losing the weight she wants first and then focus on building muscle. While losing weight she could do strength training a few days a week to help strengthen her muscles and cardio a few days per week for fat loss. Hope this helps!
  • Tyggress73
    Tyggress73 Posts: 104 Member
    "Gaining" muscle is virtually impossible while in a calorie deficit to lose weight/fat.

Having said that, I eat 140g of protein daily and I strength train a lot...to "maintain" my muscle mass while losing weight. I have only lost 11 pounds, but I have shrunk 9 inches.

A good goal for protein is to eat 1g of protein per pound of LBM (lean body mass). Figure out her body composition/fat% and thereby her lean body mass...then eat that amount of protein to maintain it.

Protein has fewer calories per gram (4 vs 9 calories per gram for fats), so eating that much protein won't equal eating too many calories. You can eat high protein and "lower" fat to create the calorie deficit, yet still maintain current muscle mass.
  • shelleyjo1970
    shelleyjo1970 Posts: 23 Member
    Hi, I have lost just over 60 pounds in 6 months by making changes to my diet. I eat low cal, high protien foods. Like chicken, turkey and fish. Cut out most carbs... Watching sugar is a big thing. AVOID AVOID AVOID. Measuring food is also important. I try to stay right around 800 cal and 75 grams of Protien. It has worked for me. Hope it helps... Good luck. Shelley