Veggie Chili?

Options
AlynnP1005
AlynnP1005 Posts: 195
Does anyone have a really yummy vegetarian chili recipe that freezes well that they would like to share? I access the internet through my ipod, so I cant really scroll through all the past posts to see if there is one posted.

PS The more beans the better!

Replies

• clorigroh
    Options
    I don't really have a recipe, I kinda just throw things in a pot. I use one bag of the morningstar farms meatless crumbles. I throw in 1 can of diced tomatoes with green pepper and onion, 1 can of tomato puree, 1 can of kidney beans, and 1 can of crushed tomatoes because I like mine chunky. I add some medium salsa, basil, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. It comes out pretty good. I usually eat it over some macaroni.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rinren84
    rinren84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    In a large stockpot on medium high heart add (all veggies are diced):

2 carrots
    1 stalk celery
    1/2 bag frozen corn
    1 large green pepper
    1 large onion

Saute veggies until soft then add:

2 cans dark red kidney beans (drain and rinse or leave the juice...just lower sodium if you rinse)
    1 large can tomatoe sauce
    1 can diced tomatoes (with green chiles if you like it spicey) I usually fill this can half up with water and add it.
    2-3 whole bay leaves
    2-3 TBSP Ketchup
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/2-1 package Williams Chili Seasoning (depending on how spicy you like it)

Cook at least 30 minutes before serving, the longer you cook it the better. Add any veggies you like. Always tastes better the next day! Freezes well!
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Here's the one I make - it freezes well!!

Ingredients
    1 package yves veggie cuisine vegetarian ground beef
    2 tablespoons oil (canola, olive or sunflower)
    1 large onion, diced
    1 red bell pepper, diced
    1 green pepper, diced
    1 yellow pepper, diced
    1 can corn
    3 (28 fluid ounce) cans diced tomatoes
    2 (19 fluid ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    2 tablespoon crushed dried chili
    2 teaspoon chili powder
    2 teaspoon cumin
    2 tablespoon dried oregano
    2 tablespoon dried basil
    salt and pepper, to taste

Directions
    1. Heat oil in a large pot until hot and add onion and diced peppers.
    2. Sauté for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until partially cooked.
    3. Add remaining ingredients except Yves Veggie Cuisine Original Veggie Ground Round.
    4. Mix well.
    5. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.
    6. Cook 1 hour.
    7. Add crumbled Yves Veggie Cuisine Original Veggie Ground Round.
    8. Mix well.
    9. Turn off heat and let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Number of Servings: 10

Nutritional Info
    Calories: 190.7
    Total Fat: 3.9 g
    Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
    Sodium: 637.9 mg
    Total Carbs: 29.6 g
    Dietary Fiber: 9.5 g
    Protein: 12.3 g
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Here's my personal favorite:
    Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili

http://www.eatmedelicious.com/2008/02/sweet-potato-and-black-bean-chili.html

Serves 3-4 as a meal.

1 tbsp vegetable oil
    2 medium onions, chopped
    1 tbsp chili powder
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 cup vegetable broth
    2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
    1 28-oz (796mL) cans diced tomatoes
    2 19-oz (540mL) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp crumbled dried oregano

Heat the oil in a large saucepan* or Dutch oven. Add the onions and cook, stirring, over medium heat until the onions are soft - about 5 minutes. Add the chili powder and the cumin and cook for another minute or so. Add the vgetable broth and the cubed sweet potatoes, reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, until the potatoes are almost tender - about 10 minutes.

Add the tomatoes with all the juice from the can, the beans, salt, and oregano. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then let simmer until the potatoes are completely tender - about 20 minutes.

I make this recipe at least once every month or so. Its soooo good, especially if you toss in some TVP just to thicken it up and add some protein.
  • AlynnP1005
    AlynnP1005 Posts: 195
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! They all sound so yummy...I think I might combine parts of all of them and see what I come up with :) The sweet potato one just sounds amazing, since sweet potatoes are my new addiction, especially since starting to go vegan.

Thanks again!
  • Jellybean1970
    Jellybean1970 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite.

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1 onion chopped
    4 closed garlic, minced
    1 cup dry lentils
    1 cup dry bulgur wheat
    3 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
    2 cups canned whole tomatoes, copped
    2 tbsp chili powder
    1 tbsp ground cumin salt and pepper to taste
    1 can kidney beans
    1 can mushrooms
    chopped green peppers and/or celery

In a large pot over medium heat combine the oil, onion and garlic and saute for 5 minutes. Stir in the rinsed lentils and bulgur wheat. Add the broth, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
  • sallerina
    Options
    I tend to use either Quorn mince or Bean Feast as my mince meat substitute. I then throw in a tin of tomatos, diced onions, a tin of kidney beans, touch of garlic, chilli powder, tomato puree.......I think thats about it.

Quorn is high in protein and low in fat, so its good for dieting and also good for veggie's as a meat substitute. It's also fine to be frozen and good to make a big batch that you can split out into a few portions for future use.

I've been veggi for 10 years and have always found it beneficial for weight loss as meat has a lot of fat in etc, apart from when eating out as every veggi option is full of cheese!!!!!!!!

Sal x