I want to run! How do I start and should I?

For my exercise, I walk alot, ride my horses, and do pilates. But I would love to build up my stamina and take up running. I have never ran for exercise before, so it will be completely new to me. Question is, should I? Should an overweight person run? I am 5'3 and currently 215lbs. I do have asthma but it is under control.
If you guys think running is a good idea, how do I start? I am a morning person, so I have considered getting up really early to do run before my classes which start at 8am. Should I eat before? After?

Thanks for any info! :happy:

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Start slow. Try the C25K program. It's great. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Posting so some of my more knowledgeable runner friends can maybe help you out.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Definitely C25k ("couch to 5k"). But first, get some good running shoes so you don't hurt yourself.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Can you walk at a brisk pace for 30 minutes no problem? That's where to start. If you can, I'd suggest using the Couch to 5K program. It's progressive and gets your body used to running and builds you up to a 5K over, I think, 8 weeks. I would definitely invest in some good running shoes if you're overweight and serious about sticking to it. My husband is a powerlifter type and carries a lot of weight on his frame, and he uses some New Balance shoes that are geared towards "larger runners". He loves them. I don't know if they have a womens' version or not, but it's worth looking into. You want to protect your joints, trust me! Unless your doctor tells you not to run, if you want to, go for it! Just remember it's ok to start slow, and build up, you don't have to go balls to the wall on the first day!

If you want to work outi n the am, go for it. That's when I work out. I don't eat before and it works for me. If I'm super hungry or feel weak, though, I do grab someting. Whether or not and what to eat is going to be highly individual.
  • bicoastalgirl
    bicoastalgirl Posts: 85 Member
    i have asthma, too. i used the couch to 5K program. i also ran early in the morning, before work (leaving around 4:45 a.m.). i have been running for about two years now.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    put one foot in front of the other and move your legs faster than you would if you were to walk....merp merp
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    I used a book called "Run your Butt off'. It is similar to couch to 5k in that you walk and run at intervals until you are able to run for 30 mins straight.
  • AnnDenny
    AnnDenny Posts: 172 Member
    put one foot in front of the other and move your legs faster than you would if you were to walk....merp merp

Lol reminds me of the christmas song from Santa Clause is Comming to Town. Knew someone would post something like that lol
  • AnnDenny
    AnnDenny Posts: 172 Member
    Thanks guys, I'm glad I found that site! Seems like a good routine
  • I just started jogging/running also.... I started off just by walking about 2 miles and then jogged until I couldn't then walk and jog again.... Then I found an app that I really like, there are hundreds at this point lol.... and I started using the their beginner "Run to lose weight" program...similar to the C25K and I'm loving it so far. I do have to say that it is imperative that you have the right shoes! (And for us busty girls, the right sports bra can make a HUGE difference! ) I wish you all the best of luck! Stay motivated!
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Start by running as long as you can, then walking, then running as long as you can, then walking, then (okay you get the point). Keep at it and don't get discouraged if you find yourself doing more walking than running at first.