Doing TDEE minus 20% in MFP - I don't get why you would

I was looking over the numbers that I might want to use if I took my BMR and fed it into the Harris Benedict Equation to get my approximate TDEE. If I then take 20% off as suggested here, that is theoretically my goal caloric intake if I keep my exercise steady at the current rate.

So far so good - I compared it to what I've been doing and it seems pretty close to what I've been doing in MFP, which is a net calorie thing (food minus exercise).

What I don't understand is why anyone would use the TDEE methodology and use myFitnessPal. This method assumes that you don't eat back any calories because caloric daily goal already accounts for your assumed exercise activities.

So, my TDEE -20% is 2500 calories, do I put 2500 calories as my daily goal?

How are people using MFP meaningfully then? Are you still recording your exercise and food and just ignoring all the numbers MFP tells you other than total calories eaten?

My current methodology is to enter everything and actually use MFP's numbers as a guideline for how much to eat or not eat and how well or poorly I'm doing for the week. I let MFP set my net calorie goal (1750 currently). When I eat food it goes down and when I exercise it goes up. I track everything and see everything in MFP and all of the numbers are meaningful. I can look at the various reports of average net calories and can look at all of the exercises I've been doing.

Am I missing something? It just seems weird to me to use only a small fraction of the functionality MFP offers because you aren't letting MFP do what it is best at.

Replies

• sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Everyone is different and you have to do what works for you. I use the TDEE - 20% = 1017 c. It is the only thing that works for me.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Everyone is different and you have to do what works for you. I use the TDEE - 20% = 1017 c. It is the only thing that works for me.

I agree - if it works for you then do it. I just don't get how it works with myfitnesspal. It seems like you would only be using it to count calories eaten. Is that correct?
  • junip1977
    junip1977 Posts: 111 Member
    I use the TDEE -%20 method and put that as my daily goal. When I log my exercise calories I don't eat them back, I just log them to see how I did for the day. So yes, I stay with actual calories eaten for the day and make sure it is close to my goal. Hope that helps!!
  • cindiva65
    cindiva65 Posts: 335 Member
    Im using it and ignoring the exercise calories (I log them just for accountability) and I set my calorie goal to the TDEE deficit number and go by what food Ive actually eaten for the day.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    If you are going to follow the TDEE-20% method then you would just imput that number into MFP and don't record your exercise as it is already included in your TDEE number.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    I keep a mental note of my goal. I know to eat to 1750/1800ish. That is my goal every single day, and has been for about a month now. So I can ignore the exercise calories that I log. Some people can't do this and don't log the exercise calories. I mainly use the cite to learn how to control my macros now. I use it to learn what a balanced diet is...because to be honest if you were to look at my food log 3 months ago I won't know a balanced diet from gum on the wall. There are multiple ways to use this cite. Some use it ONLY to track macros and micros, some use it for weight loss, some for weight gain. Some only use the smart phone features.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Because you can set your MFP calories to be whatever you want them to be, AND track your intake.

This is primarily a calorie-countie and macro-tracking app/site. Just using TDEE-any% doesn't eliminate the need to track calories. Also, for many people, TDEE-any% is nowhere near what MFP suggests.

There are two ways to calcuate your TDEE.
    1) calculate using your actual activity level
    2) calculate setting your activity level at sedentary.

If you do the first way, you obviously would not eat back exercise calories. In that case, you'd log your calories burned on any given day as 1 calorie, so you don't mess up your net. Some people using this method log their actual burn in their exercise notes.

If you do it the second way, you would count all your exercise calories and eat them back, resulting in the same net intake as the first method.

Either way, MFP is equally effective.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    I put TDEE-20% in as my goal and don't log my exercise calories, as I log my workouts on my Garmin site anyways...I still use MFP for counting calories and keeping track of macros - what else do you use it for?
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    You can set your own goal calories according to TDEE or BMR or whatever, not include your exercise so that it doesn't change your calories, and still track your macros and whatever else you want to track without those exercise calories altering your goals. Or, if you want to track exercise but not have it alter your totals, you can write down your exercise in the notes section or alter calories burned to 0. So, you can still track more than just calories when using your TDEE as a base.

ETA: Wow, a lot of quick replies. Basically, using a goal other than MFP's doesn't mean you're only tracking calories here.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    I put TDEE-20% in as my goal and don't log my exercise calories, as I log my workouts on my Garmin site anyways...I still use MFP for counting calories and keeping track of macros - what else do you use it for?

yup.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member

I agree - if it works for you then do it. I just don't get how it works with myfitnesspal. It seems like you would only be using it to count calories eaten. Is that correct?

Correct (and macros if that is your bag...)

As exercise calories are included in the value you wouldn't log it or give it a nominal calorie manually (like 1 calorie) when logging it under exercise.
  • saramerrigan
    saramerrigan Posts: 555 Member
    I use the TDEE method and have dealt with it in number of ways. Set MFP goal to TDEE less req'd deficit and then either:
    ~ log exercise as 1 calorie so that it doesn't change your goal
    ~ log exercise with actual calories burned at the end of the day so that it doesn't affect your goal
    ~ don't log it at all on MFP but keep records elsewhere.

One of the main reasons people use the TDEE method is so that they get a consistent mumber of calories each day.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    I use the TDEE-aprox 20% method for a few different reasons.

1) I noticed immediately that the MFP calorie burns for my work-outs were quite high, and I didn't trust them. Using a method that includes my activity solves that problem.
    2) When I was using MFP's logic, I found that I would be rummaging through my cabinets, choosing junk more often than not, and eating just to eat. I didn't like the way that made me feel.
    3) Since my calorie target was constantly changing, nothing was ever consistent. I thrive on consistency and enjoy not having to constantly hit a moving target. I eat 1800 calories a day. That's it. That's just what makes the most sense to ME.

Also, I do log my exercise just because I like to see it, I want my friends to know I'm working hard, and, if I do say so myself, I don't mind patting myself on the back about my hard work. But I only log it as 1 calorie burned.

However, what you are doing is not wrong. This is one of those situations that comes down to personal preference.
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    I set my daily calorie goal to my TDEE - 15%. I log all exercise as "1" calorie to keep MFP from mucking too much with my calories and macros. I record the real calorie burn in my exercise notes and make sure I don't net under my BMR. Works for me.
  • megalin9
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,228 Member
    TAsunder, I agree that whatever works for people is good - however I am with you - I didnt work out my BMR or TDEE on MFP - I just entered my age, gender, current and goal weight, set it to 1/2 lb a week (as recomended for people with relatively small amount to lose) set my activity level to lightly active, as recomended by guidelines - and then I just eat the amount the thing sets for me, 1540 calories, log in any additional excercise and eat those calories back.

I think the maths will probably work out to more or less the same actual calorie intake doing it this way and just seems easier to me.
  • megalin9
    It seems like you would only be using it to count calories eaten. Is that correct?

Yup!
  • I set my calorie goal based on TDEE and I do not log exercise. I was having a hard time eating back my exercise calories the MFP way since I wasn't always sure which days I would be able to work out. I don't enjoy working out in the morning and sometimes a project comes up at work where I can't work out a certain evening. I still get my 3-4 days in each week, just the days vary week to week. So by the end of the day I would be so far below my BMR that my workout suffered. Or if I tried to eat more anticipating that I was to work out and then a client calls needing something ASAP, I would be S.O.L.

So for me, TDEE works the best. I use MFP for the food database, tracking my TDEE calories and macros. Oh and the motivation from my MFP friends and community.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    It goes a little something like this:
    Calculated TDEE and BMR and got my 15-20% cut.

I put my BMR as my daily goal (NOT accepting the1200 default) and I set my activity in MFP as lightly active - comes pretty damn close to my calculated TDEE it's just under 50 out - which is perfectly fine for me - we're talking maybe a cheese triangle - no real biggie.

Then I exercise as always, eat back a proportion of my cals but not necessarily all - to within 15-20% of my TDEE.
    Weight comes down, inches come off, and because of the settings - I pretty much follow MFP's method most days give or take a few cals either way.

A the end of the day - do what works for you but in answer to your query, I use pretty much everything that MFP offers but I understand my numbers a lot better and drive MFP to my settings.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    I've kind of set off on my own path, which is estimated BMR as my calorie goal. I may or may not eat back exercise calories. I'm having a hard time incorporating regular exercise, truth be told.