PSA: BMI Categories

Options

Replies

• Faulkners407
    Faulkners407 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    23 pounds to get to overweight!! yahooo!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Seems there was some miscommunication and hurt feelings on the boards today. Just a friendly reminder: The following are the BMI Categories. These are designations based on height and weight. BMI is not an opinion, a judgement, or name-calling. It's just an index.

< 15: Very severely underweight
    15.0 to 16.0: Severely underweight
    16.0 to 18.5: Underweight
    18.5 to 25: Normal (healthy weight)
    25 to 30: Overweight
    30 to 35: Obese Class I (Moderately obese)
    35 to 40: Obese Class II (Severely obese)
    > 40: Obese Class III (Very severely obese)

P.S, I notice that I've recently tipped into the Overweight category, from Normal. I'll consider it a NSV! (All that lifting and eating paying off!)

When I say I used to be "obese" this is what I mean- I was 30 BMI.

Then I got to "normal" in a few months (BMI 24.9)

Then another year I was still "Normal" (Bmi 21.1) but I felt I was too skinny.

The "normal" range includes a lot of variance, I'll tell ya.

So i don't care about BMI anymore. I care about bf%.

Also, everyone knows you can have a BMI that says Overweight, but if you have a low bf% what you are is a beast! (like Taso!)
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

So. Damn. Close. I. Can. Taste. It.

24.9 BMI - 22% body fat

So. Damn. Close. I. Can. Taste. It.

(ultimate long term goal: overweight BMI with 20% or less body fat)

<3 !!!!

Right!
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm at 34.9

So close to Obese Class II....that actually scares me quite a bit. I really need to kick this into gear.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I'm 27.1 .....overweight. :sad:
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    Brb am severely obese...
    wait.

someone contact that guy who says women don't date obese men and tell him i'd totally date this guy's profile pic.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Taso is someone who I watch in the forums. Always provides excellent advice - and while I don't like BMI for various reasons, it is a useful statistical tool.

I'm overweight by their definition, 26 something. I'll be in the normal range and maybe back up here in 6-12 months. Blood markers, fitness goals are more important to me, followed by bf% and weight. BMI is just incidental.

Who wants to work on inverted push-ups?
  • jack3Dav3
    jack3Dav3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    From 'Class III Obese' (44.2) to comfortably 'Overweight' and staying there (28.4). Fist pump!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Poop - I dropped out of the overweight category recently...that is actually annoying. (24)
  • trellshantel
    trellshantel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    BMI: 26.4

almost normal yay!!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

P.S, I notice that I've recently tipped into the Overweight category. I'll consider it a NSV!

Congratulations. :smile:

Anyone who wants to call themselves a power lifter, or bodybuilder would probably rather be in the overweight, or the obese category on the BMI scale.

Maybe not for women. I'm pretty heavy for a woman and still within healthy BMI.

I was 'overweight' until a few pounds ago and I am actually annoyed about the fact that I dropped out of it tbh.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    26.7, but I don't care. The BMI scale is the biggest piece of crap invented
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    26.6, baby!!!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    26.7, but I don't care. The BMI scale is the biggest piece of crap invented

It does have one use - A BMI <25 stops the doctor from nagging you.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    This thread took a different turn than I expected. I just got a PM flaming me for writing a post about "that BMI nonsense". :laugh:
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    This thread took a different turn than I expected. I just got a PM flaming me for writing a post about "that BMI nonsense". :laugh:

No good deed goes unpunished.
  • spike90
    spike90 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I am down to 34.2 (obese class I ) . This in only a good thing because this time last year I was 46.8 (obese class III). Can't wait until I can go down another class and the one more into the healthy class!!!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

P.S, I notice that I've recently tipped into the Overweight category. I'll consider it a NSV!

Congratulations. :smile:

Anyone who wants to call themselves a power lifter, or bodybuilder would probably rather be in the overweight, or the obese category on the BMI scale.

Maybe not for women. I'm pretty heavy for a woman and still within healthy BMI.

I was 'overweight' until a few pounds ago and I am actually annoyed about the fact that I dropped out of it tbh.

Me too.....a couple bulk cycle and I should stay in the overweight category
  • MLibby84
    Options
    Well I calculated mine online and when I started this whole thing in the begining of Jan my trainer measured my BMI using some computer thing( held it and it measured me) and i was 41.. I just did it now and I am 36.. so it is defiantely going down!:tongue:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Obese class 1 here...... I won't be losing any sleep over it..... considering when I start 43 months ago I had a BMI of 74!!!! I put about as much stock in the BMI numbers as my chances of winning the Publisher Clearing House..... :drinker: