I dont know what to do about my shins

Options
2»

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

Arn't those really expensive though?
    I got a expensive pair of running shoes at a garage sale for 10$...
    Im unemployed and really dont have to money to drop 80$ on shoes for a 20 minute workout :(

You know the person was most likely getting rid of the expensive shoes because thet were worn out. They don't even have to look that bad to be worn out but running shoes wear really quickly.

Go somewhere that they fit you properly and shop around. The question is whether you are willing to put up with all the problems that come from not having the right gear. I have knee (over use) issues and can tell you that the right shoes make a huge difference even just for walking 20mins to and from my car.

Some other tips are rest, icing, massage and avoiding surfaces without any give. It's a little boring but find a nice grassy oval to run around. Makes a huge difference. Oh and if it's really bad the only thing to do is stay off them for a while. This is neccessary because you could end up doing more damage like a stress fracture which will have you out for much longer. Consider cross training: cycling, boxing, swimming and other things that don't impact your shins the same way.

Take it from someone who has had over 2 months off running and sport. I understand your frustration but you need to sort it out sooner rather than later
  • cschjone
    Options
    When I first started 30 Day Shred, I also had really bad pain in my shins. It was so bad, that I thought I had stress fractures, however the pain only comes when I am doing Jillian's intense Jumping Jack, Jump Rope, Jumping Jack, Jump Rope routine...

I didn't want to give up the exercise because truthfully, the pain probably is mostly coming from bearing too much weight on my legs. Rest and lower impact activities help relieve the stress, but I wasn't feeling like I was getting a good work out so I bought some CEP Compression Calf Sleeves. They are AMAZING. They provide support for my shins during my workout and significantly reduce my pain.

I wouldn't say that I'm completely pain free, but it has made a huge improvement and I can get through entire workouts and strengthen my legs.

Check them out on Amazon! Not the cheapest solution, but better than spending hundreds of dollars on running shoes.

http://www.amazon.com/CEP-Womens-Compression-Allsport-Sleeve/dp/B003EIKBBS/ref=pd_sim_sg_1
  • amye004
    Options
    So I went through a period of shin splits about 7 years ago and was told to try this:

Sit on the couch, bare feet
    Put a towel under your feet, the edge of the towel near your toes
    Pull the towel towards you using your toes only (the best way to describe it is like curl them down, scrunch them) They should be only thing moving, besides where your toes meet your foot, that will move. The rest of your foot stays still. Do with both feet at once
    Do this in a continous movement (doesn't have to be fast but no stopping)

Also, invest in good footwear. It will pay for itself. I did this exercise and bought better shoes and I haven't had splits since.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Ice your shins even if they don't hurt when you work out. Also stretch before and after. Mine are gone now since I started doing this.
  • AmandaLY17
    AmandaLY17 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    go see a doctor. Sometimes 'pushing through the pain' can cause irreversible damage if iyou mis diagnose whats going wrong. I had to take a 8 mth break from running (yes I undersnand your not running, but jumping around can cause the same issues) and even now 2 mths back at it I cant run for more than a few minutes and I can only do it a couple days a week before I start having major issues again.
  • seashell99z
    seashell99z Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Im at the end of level 2 for 30 day shred, but ever since mid-level 1 i have gotten what I think are shin splints.
    They hurt so bad! I've grit my teeth this long, but it's overwhelmingly painful.

Ive tried resting, elevating, and icing but it just goes away and immediately comes back when I re-start the program.

Ive tried doing it barefoot, in socks, in regular shoes, and in expensive jogging shoes. Nothing helps.

Exercise is new to me, Im about to fall off the wagon because of this pain...

Anyone else encounter this problem doing 30ds?

Maybe try doing mild stretching prior to the DS. I've heard that once you warm up the muscles and tendons, etc., it would help.

Good luck to you.
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Gotta chop your legs off, sorry. :\!

Haha, naw, I have notoriously crap shins too and for me it doesn't linger afterwards but it hurts like a B while I'm doing 30DS or jogging.

I would really recommend good shoes. I'm dirt poor but my mom gifted me with a pair of awesome running shoes for $65 (Skechers, don't have to be the ridiculously triple-digit brands). Don't feel the pain anymore thanks from the shock absorbing. Definitely definitely definitely do not try and just work through the pain... they're so delicate, it's better to focus on less intense exercises while your shins get back to normal. :c

Another thing I think helps is walking a lot and warming up before exercises with walks.
  • lightdiva1
    lightdiva1 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like shin splints it sounds like your tibialis is just sore. (The muscle that runs over your shins) This muscle gets used when you point and flex your foot. in other words from wakling, jumping, bending knees, movement of any kind...

The pain can be intense, but most likely from what you have explained, you are suffering from sore muscles. First, you should stretch and warm up that part of your body. Slowly spell the letters of the alpha bet with your foot. Next, cross one foot over the other arch pointing at the floor and bend your knees, this stretches that muscle out. Next, wear shoes with cushion, that fit. Also, invest in some tiger balm. A VERY SMALL AMOUNT goes a long way. Rub the tiger balm on the shin area before and after work outs. Icing will bring down swelling, but if your not swollen, than its kinda pointless.

I do recommend going to the doctor, as it could be something else. Do you have any foot issues, or back issues? Those can put stress on your legs and get everything out of whack.

If your new to exercising, this soreness will take awhile to go away. I would suggest easing into it. Give your body a chance to get used to the new amount of working out.