Getting back to workouts after surgery

Options
I had my gallbladder removed exactly 2 weeks ago. All of my incisions (sp?) are healed up pretty much nothings open anymore. The only limitations i had were no lifting over 20lbs for 2 weeks and i just started picking my 10 month old up again and she weighs about 25lbs and it dosent seem to hurt or bother me at all when i pick her up. So my question is should i just jump back into working out or ease myself back into by just doing something simple? Any recomendations on what i should do for a workout? Thanks :)

Replies

• 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    When I had surgery, I had to wait for the doctor's OK to start working out again. Just because you're healed on the outside, you may still be healing on the inside. Make sure you have the green light before diving in again. In my case I had to ease back into it. Walking was my way back into it. Good luck!
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    When I had my gallbladder out, I was on weight restrictions for 3 weeks, and no "heavy lifting" for another 3 after that, per my surgeon. I developed complications anyway, and after 7 weeks, I was back to doing stuff, but there were still a lot of ab stuff that bothered me, so I just did less for a while.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Follow your doctor's recommendation. Even if it feels ok you might be putting yourself at risk for tearing something.
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Get clearance from your Dr on what kind of pace you can set . I had hip replacement surgery a year ago and could exercise right away but had to build up to certain activities.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    When I had my surgeries, I had to wait 2 weeks for light duty, 4 weeks for moderate, and 6 weeks to get back into my workout routine. It was chest surgery and the internal stitches were more important than the external, but with gall bladder removal, there are internal stitches.

Call your doctor and ask. Nothing wrong with picking up the phone for a question like this, particularly if he was vague about it before.
  • mommy2416
    Options
    I had my gallbladder taken out last week (I was lifting my 10 month old son, who is 20lbs, two days later.) When I went back for my follow up with my Dr he didn't tell me anything about restrictions of any sort. I tried a simple workout ( jumping jacks, stretching, Running in place, and some simple dancing) this morning and ended up hurting a little bit. (3 he's later I still have slight pain) any helpful tips on a easy workout I could do?
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Internal healing takes 6-8 weeks. Don't push it.