Soy????

Options
So what do you guys think about soy milk. I was going to start eating ceral for breakfast for a change. However it is the same amount of points as 1% milk. Do you think the benifits are greater with soy or milk? I don't know if I am going to do this or not b/c I am so stingy with my points I hate to start the day with 4 points. I usually just eat a breakfast bar that is only 2 points.

Replies

• scostello24
    scostello24 Posts: 126
    Options
    So what do you guys think about soy milk. I was going to start eating ceral for breakfast for a change. However it is the same amount of points as 1% milk. Do you think the benifits are greater with soy or milk? I don't know if I am going to do this or not b/c I am so stingy with my points I hate to start the day with 4 points. I usually just eat a breakfast bar that is only 2 points.
  • weightlossinprogress
    weightlossinprogress Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Try Almond Milk instead, I recently went to weight lose seminar and the speaker had stressed that soy milk was only to be taken in low moderation, especially for children as it has been proven to stunt growth.

Almond Milk is estracted from real almonds and comes in a variety of flavors. There is also Rice milk which is good as well.

Hope this helps.
    Patricia
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Some people use soy milk because they are lactose intolerant, some people use soy milk because they are vegans. It's really a personal choice for you whether you stick with regular milk or switch to soy. I, personally like soy milk in my coffee instead of non-fat milk that I drink because it is a little richer. But soy milk being from a plant source does not have the full-chain amino acids to make it a complete protein. All plant based proteins do not have the full-chain amino acids, so if you decide to cut out regular milk and animal proteins, you will have to do some research to find out which two plant based proteins you must put together to complete the full-chain.
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    What is your reason for wanting to switch to soy?

I drink light soy milk (70 calories, 2 grams of fat). I don't know that it's any better for you, but I'm a little lactose intolerant so for me it's better than nothing. I have to say, it took me awhile to get used to the taste/texture after drinking milk for so long, but I now like it. I have heard that eating too many soy products can be bad for you (I forget why - something about estrogen and having to do with cancer?), so if you're okay with milk but you eat a lot of other soy, it might be something to look into before making a switch.
  • tyandow2
    tyandow2 Posts: 8
    Options
    On a side note about soy and soy protein vs. whey protein. My trainer believes and (found out first hand) that soy protein tends to gather on a women's back love handles - and suggests using a whey protein powder vs a soy protein. (not sure how this relates to soy milk - but thought I would share.)

I get a low carb smoothie each day at the gym with whey protein.. and have found a big difference in my body makeup.
  • scostello24
    scostello24 Posts: 126
    Options
    Thanks for the words guys. I was actually thinking about using it just for ceral purposes b/c I cannot stand 1% milk. I tried the vanilla light soy and was very pleased. Therfore thought of making the switch.
    Thanks again!!:flowerforyou: