HRM help

Options
Thinking of getting a heart rate monitor, but am looking for input & advise.

I would like to spend less than $75 for something that's pretty decent, or at least comes well recommended.

I'm looking for all the pros & cons you can share about yours....is it obtrusive? comfortable? battery life? price? accuracy? etc...

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• kd80538
    kd80538 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7, and for the most part I absolutely love it. I do Kung Fu, and after my first workout with it, I never notice when it's there...in fact, have worn it home from class and not realized it until I'm getting ready to hop in the shower, lol.

I find it to be prettty accurate. As for reliability, when I first started doing Insanity, it would lose the reading, or show a reading that I knew was WAY higher than what it really was. Thought it was batteries dying, so replaced them, and still got the same thing. After about two workouts, it seemed to have worked itself out of its kink - whatever it was. I workout with it 3-5 times a week, and I'm normally dripping in sweat and it keeps on keeping on. I've had it just over a year now, and refuse to workout without it. I think I paid around $100 for it.

Good luck!
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    This is the one i use (Polar H7 Bluetooth): http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Bluetooth-Smart-Heart-Sensor/dp/B007S088F4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361404800&sr=8-1&keywords=polar+iphone.

It has a cloth strap that is washable and really comfortable (so comfortable you'll forget it is on). I love that particular one because it links up with apps on my iPhone and I don't have to wear a watch.
  • trigger2354
    trigger2354 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The ideal HRM solution for me has been the Zephyr. It's a Bluetooth HRM that communicates with my Android phone via the Endomondo app. I paid $75 for the Zephyr on Amazon.

I used to have an iPod attached to one arm and a dedicated HRM strapped to the other. And when cycling, I'd also have a GPS on my bike. I looked like a science experiment. With the Zephyr, everything is combined, contained and controlled with my phone.

Endomondo Pro, coupled with the Zephyr HRM, is easily the most effective (results and cost) training tool I've ever used. And it's a very nice bonus that MFP and Endomondo share data. All of my workout calorie burns are automatically uploaded to MFP which is very convenient. Endomondo utilizes the phone's GPS capabilities to track all workouts. In addition to your heart rate, you can track your speed, lap times, elevations changes, calories burned, steps taken (yes, it has a pedometer), pace and more. And all of this data is displayed in big, beautiful, living color on your phone's screen. A very nice upgrade over the tiny displays on dedicated HRMs.

The latest release of Endomondo has greatly expanded the audio coaching capabilities of the app. You can now customize the app to provide exactly the information you would like to hear as you workout. It will tell you your heart rate, speed, pace, calories burned, elapsed time, etc. at whatever intervals you choose. This is very handy for me because my primary cardio in the winter is cross country skiing, and my arms are heavily involved in each workout. It's very nice to have all the vital information spoken in my headphones. I never have to stop my arm swing to see my heart rate or other data.

All of your workout data is maintained in history files on your phone, and it's also automatically uploaded to the Endomondo website where you can analyze your workouts in much greater depth. Unfortunately, Endomondo recently locked out some of the analytical features on the free version of the website application, forcing you to buy a monthly subscription to get the full suite of tools. I use the paid version because I'm an analytical geek who scutinizes every workout to find clues for ways to improve my speed, fitness, etc.

This combination of tools has been key in helping me dramatically improve fitness markers such as resting heart rate, recovery heart rate, lactate threshold, blood pressure, etc. I can't imagine every going back to a dedicated HRM.
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex T5H881 Ironman HRM (http://www.amazon.com/Timex-T5H881-Trainer-Digital-Monitor/dp/B000P0TQC8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top)

It runs about $60 on Amazon. I bought it because it was cheaper than a Polar and I honestly like the way it looks better (you will probably find that Polars are the most popular on these boards). It does have a watch and it does not sync to anything using bluetooth, but it covers all of the basics that I need it to cover. Anyway, I've had it for about 2 years and it still works like a champ after heavy use with cardio, weights, hiking in the woods, snowshoeing, and many other adventures. It's relatively comfortable (that is, it's no more uncomfortable than a strapless bra with a thick band...), and I think it's really easy to use. I would buy another one like it if mine broke or eventually stopped working.
  • richh963
    richh963 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    dont buy from Heart rate monitor usa, they send wrong items an then you have too buy a second one if you dont wanna wait for them to send a return slip, then it takes for ever too get your money back, Im still having a problem tomorrow it will be a week. amazon is where i should have bought from.